We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos

Which West End Village hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CT
Level Contributor
50 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos

Can anyone comment on whats the best/effective way to keep Mosquitos away while visiting Anguilla. No matter where i travel they seem to love me and i am allergic. Looking for feedback on skin application & something to spray around to deter the pests..

14 replies to this topic
Mystic, CT
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos

Mosquito Milk, sold on the island is very effective. Get the liquid roll-on type.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,815 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos

Everyone has their own favorite insect repellant be it Deet, Mosquito Milk or even Avon Skin-So-Soft - you have to find out what works best for you but none may be 100% effective.

One thing you can do to lessen your chances of a "close encounter" with mosquitoes and no-see-ums is to avoid the use of perfumes, colognes, aftershaves, scented hair sprays, scented body splashes and similar products as the sweet aromas act as an attractant.

One more point, mosquitoes and no-see-ums are most active as dusk and/or early dawn, especially on the beach where the sand meets the vegetation. If you avoid those areas at those times you can significantly reduce your exposure.

Lastly, if you are dining near or on the beach in the evenings wearing long sleeves and pants and spraying a good insect repellant around your ankles will go a long way toward preventing nasty bites.

CT
Level Contributor
50 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos

Thanks , I will check into that. I've never heard of it.

By the way noticed you were from CT...coming down your war in May for a seminar. Need help with dinner. Any recommendations.

CT
Level Contributor
50 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos

Although i know products are not 100%, I'm always looking to find the best product for me, as you said. I seem to draw the little guys like magnets while my husband doesn't seem to be bothered! Go figure. Thanks for the great advice.

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
105 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos

I use REPEL, which I found at EMS or REI, or one of those hikey climby stores. You can also get it on drugstore.com. It's lemon/eucalyptus scented. It works amazingly well.

When I was in AXA with cousins last year, they had Off and Skin So Soft and by the end of the trip, my polka dotted cousins were all begging me and my untouched family for our Repel. The difference was marked.

My best advice is to put it on faithfully at sundown. That's the worst time.

And my other best advice is that if you do get bitten, one of the best things to treat them with is lime juice. My first trip to Anguilla 17 years ago I didn't know to put on bug spray plus someone had taken out the screen from the window in our room, so I got over 100 bites in one night. I tried Cortisone, Benadryl, witch hazel, everything. Nothing helped. Until I had a Carib with lime. I was so miserable that I took some of the extra lime and rubbed it on my numerous bites. And IT WORKED!!! It dried out the bites and finally made them go down. It was amazing!

Good luck!

Minnetonka...
Level Contributor
386 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos

Sawyer Control Release Mosquito Repellant. The best ever! Lasts for 8 to 12 hours and only 28% deet.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitos

FFF are you buying this in the US or on AXA?

I can't find it on our online pharmacies (including Amazon UK)

Minnetonka...
Level Contributor
386 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitos

I purchase in the US. Available at several places online too. Amazon for one. REI for another.

You will find many places to purchase if you type in: Sawyer Controlled Release Insect Repellent

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,578 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitos

I use Repel 40 Repel 100 and Deep Woods Off Sportmans, last trip I sprayed everywhere and did not have any bites - EXCEPT for the back of my neck which I missed on the first night and ended up with a ton of bites. I also take along Clariten tabs, Benydrl liquid and Afterbite.

I am a mosquito magnet!

Ellen

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
460 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitos

"CaribSurfer" brought up a very good point:

"if you are dining near or on the beach in the evenings wearing long sleeves and pants and spraying a good insect repellant around your ankles will go a long way toward preventing nasty bites."

Barrel Stay, for example, keeps a couple cans of insect repellant on hand for customers who might be affected by the no-see-ums and I believe other restaurants do as well.

Reply to: Mosquitos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about West End Village
Recent Conversations