We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea Ant stings/rashes/bites~ north side?

Chicago
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Sea Ant stings/rashes/bites~ north side?

I've been chatting with several people who've encountered the larvae of the thimble jellyfish or sea ants/ sea lice on the beaches at Jalousie and others in the south~ very itchy raised rashes covering their whole body for up to 4 days. These bumps don't appear for several hours after your stung, the sea ants are invisible, and you don't feel the sting as it occurs.

I've found a product called Safe Sea http://www.buysafesea.com/ which is a jellyfish repellant. I do not think I will be shipped mine in time before I leave for Soufriere on Saturday the 20th.

My question, has anyone who'd traveled in the north end of St. Lucia experienced these rashes/bites? And does anyone know of a distributor of this Safe Sea product on St. Lucia?

Thank you~

worried in chicago

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea Ant stings/rashes/bites~ north side?

I got stung a little last week. It was only a minor nuisance, I wouldn't worry about it.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea Ant stings/rashes/bites~ north side?

Interesting that your post came up in my search..

I used to live in St. Lucia in the 70's and my Dad used to have a small deep sea fishing boat.. I remember going for a daytrip towards the Pitons and I got stung by sea ants (my other friends were the divers who had gloves on they had 'harvested' some sponges and then they handed me one of the sponges to take back to shore)... the rest was the WORST experience I had ever had.. numbness, fever, hallucinations, stinging sensations in the whole right arm... this all lasted almost a week... Very scary for me and my family...

Anyways, that's my story - so if anyone can help me on this... you are the first post I've seen in almost thirty years...

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea Ant stings/rashes/bites~ north side?

Ye Gads, already......why are you going to the tropics with so much stress and trepidation?

For those of us on this forum (and others), who have traveled EXTENSIVELY in the Caribbean and other near equatorial climes.......we say, in unison, GO ALREADY!

please enjoy one of the truly beautiful places on Earth.

rant over.

z ( I who have personally encountered jellyfish and other no see ums from the Caribbean to the Indian Ocean to the Arabian Sea, via the South Pacific).

Wait until you see the tranantulas on your walls.

z

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea Ant stings/rashes/bites~ north side?

had some seaweed get tangled around my legs while in the ocean. At the time it felt scratchy and kind of freaked me out because something just wasn't right, so I got out of the ocean immediately. turns out my instinct was right - the scratchiness was sand flea bites! I didn't pay much attention to my legs at the time but the later in the day I started noticing red itchy/painful splotches and welts on my legs. Thankfully I thought better of scratching at them, so I'm now taking Benadryl and using Lanacaine on the bites. Several times during the flight home, my untreated bites were driving me crazy with fiery itchiness. I resisted the urge to scratch vigorously, but it was pure torture. I chalk it up to being the price I paid for having so much fun so to speak, because we had a fantastic vacation in St. Lucia last April and this year was even better - it was AMAAZING!

Edited: 06 April 2010, 10:59
Green Bay
Level Contributor
190 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea Ant stings/rashes/bites~ north side?

gdbear65 -

Were the bites caused by sand fleas that were in the seaweed? Just curious what to avoid.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea Ant stings/rashes/bites~ north side?

yes they were - they aren't really fleas per se, but tiny crustaceans that feed on seaweed. What happened to me was the seaweed came in with a wave and I came into contact with it as it was caught up in the ebb and flow, such that it first flowed around me then came back and wrapped around my legs. I guess the best piece of advice I can give is to try avoid all contact with any seaweed that's floating around out there.

7. Re: Sea Ant stings/rashes/bites~ north side?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Marigot Bay
Recent Conversations