We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day sail and/or water taxi optiions from marigot bay

Which Marigot Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
348 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
day sail and/or water taxi optiions from marigot bay

we are splitting our 2 weeks in dec between Marigot Bay and Rodney Bay with Marigot Bay being 1st. I have read on here how isolated Marigot Bay is for sightseeing, etc. and that is ok. I want to know:

1. Any day sail options from Marigot Bay that would take you to different beaches, lunch, snorkeling, etc; and

2. Are water taxis an option if we wanted to get to a tour in the Piton area instead of renting a car or taking a land taxi. How long by water taxi to Soufriere?

We really did not want to do our sightseeing when in Rodney Bay so we could just kick back on the beach for that part of our trip.

15 replies to this topic
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
982 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day sail and/or water taxi optiions from marigot bay

Try Bateau Mygo, you can reach them through Chateau Mygo of which I have posted a review

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
760 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day sail and/or water taxi optiions from marigot bay

There are two options for day sails in Marigot. One as mentioned above is Bateau Mygo -- www.bateaumygo.com. This sail is private -- you can go out for the day or a half day or a sunet sail. Just you -- or someone you invite to join you. The other is run by Oasis Marigot and they do sails usually two days a week -- one to the south and another to the north. You can check with their office while there for schedule and should have no trouble going -- unless it's during the holiday week at the end of December and for that you would want to reserve ahead. This is not a private tour and you would be on the boat with a number of others. There is a difference in price -- it's all what appeals to you.

There are lots of water taxis available for tours -- north and south. By water taxi, it takes about 30 - 45 minutes to reach Souffriere -- all depending on the seas and how rough it is. It's neat seeing the coast. But also fun to take a land tour to Souffriere and I would suggest you do that also. It's an all day tour - starting in the AM -- and arriving back in Marigot about 4 -- but really worth it.

Don't think of Marigot as isolated. It's not. Actually it's located very nicely for touring the whole island. It's about equidistant from either the northern tip or southern. Takes about an hour to drive to Souffriere -- if you go without stopping which few do. And same for the far north.

Feel free to IM me if you have other specific questions.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
348 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day sail and/or water taxi optiions from marigot bay

thank you i will contact oasis marigot that is more our style for the day sail. Did Oasis also arrange the land tour to Soufrie ? We will be staying at the Marigot Beach Club down the hill.

The only tour place i have read about so far is www.jungletoursstlucia.com/moretours.htm possibly interested in the Double Fun Falls tour sounds like an awful lot for one day. I'm assuming we would have to find our way to them as it sounds like they pick up cruise ship passengers. Of which there were some bad reviews.

We usually don't book tours in advance, but have not been to St. Lucia before it will be in early december before the holiday season.

Does anyone know of a sight that will show you when cruise ships are in port for st lucia. We will try to avoid that.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day sail and/or water taxi optiions from marigot bay

www.slaspa.com - that is the St. Lucia Air and Sea Ports site, that had the cruise ship schedule for the season.

Most of the time, booking in advance (more than a few days) is not really necessary; however if you have a specific tour/operator you want to take - then book it as far in adavnce as you possibly can, especially if it's a unique tour (not offered by most operators).

Enjoy your visit.

Peaks Island, Maine
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day sail and/or water taxi optiions from marigot bay

Taking a water taxi from Marigot to Soufriere will cost you a bit, especially if you did round trip. Better option would probably be to take a land tour and then you could see different sites and really get the most out of your trip down south.

If you wanted to do a water trip and see the coast a little you could take a boat from Marigot to Anse Cochon (TiKaye). This is a much shorter trip. That way you could get in a decent snorkel and see a nice beach with a good (but small) reef system. Way best to do it on a day the crusie ships aren't in, or go really early before all of the snorkel tour boats get there.

Marigot isn't especially isolated but there simply isn't a whole lot to do there expect enjoy the views. The one downside is that and you have to travel a ways to get to the better swimming and snorkeling beaches. The restaurant (and local food) options are not what you would want them to be, unfortunately.

Skip the private sailing on the Bateau Mygo. Its really pricey, not that fun, and the food is like nothing to write home about (think bologna sandwiches here).

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day sail and/or water taxi optiions from marigot bay

For an idea on water taxi rates (from Congomon earlier this year, a licensed water taxi operator):

"Rates for the most frequent water taxi Departure Points & Destinations are regulated by government and the Water Taxi Associations.

The cost for water taxi (single engine up to 150 hp) transport...

FROM Rodney Bay/Pigeon Point to Soufriere/Jalousie USD 300 (1 – 4 persons)

FROM Castries to Soufriere/Jalousie USD 200 (1-2 persons) USD 240 (3-4 persons)

The cost for water taxi (twin engines or single engine over 150 hp) transport...

FROM Rodney Bay/Pigeon Point to Soufriere/Jalousie USD 400 (1 – 4 persons)

FROM Castries to Soufriere/Jalousie USD 350 (1-4 persons)"

From what I understand, those are r/t rates. Marigot Bay rates will be either the same as Castries rates, or perhaps a few $$$ less, but not much (if they are).

Hope that helps.

Edited: 17 July 2013, 03:37
florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
760 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day sail and/or water taxi optiions from marigot bay

Oasis can arrange other tours but you're just as well doing that yourself when you get there. Any of the drivers in Marigot can do a tour for you along the west coast to Souffriere. You'll get to see whatever you choose --of course, the Pitons -- but also botanical gardens, volcano, waterfalls, various plantations -- it's whatever you want. The typical is stopping at the various fishing villages down the coast; stopping for views; botanical gardens, lunch, volcano. Some throw in a stop to swim -- stop in Souffriere to see the village-- it's all in what you want.

Agree that it is not necessary to book trips in advance. At that time of year you're just as well waiting till you get there to see what's what.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
348 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day sail and/or water taxi optiions from marigot bay

thank you all for this. Yes the water taxis are out then. Didn't realize so far to Soufriere. I kinda knew we could find someone to offer to take us on a land tour when we arrived, so thanks for confirming that. Whomever picks us up from the airport will probably know someone. I will pick out places we want to see. That brings me to another question. I have read about sulphur springs and mud baths are both those at the volcano and is that in Soufriere? Or are they in different locations?

Like the idea of going to Anse Cochon and snorkeling. All this gives me a better idea and what to expect. Fortunately the food thing is not a big deal to us and we will have a kitchen. That will be another question :)

Edited: 17 July 2013, 18:49
Peaks Island, Maine
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day sail and/or water taxi optiions from marigot bay

The sulphur springs/mud baths are at the volcano. If you get a chance to sit in the baths for a while you'll feel like a new person as they are very healing. They are really easy to get to, just a little south of the town of Soufriere. The only negative is that the baths/water can get really, really hot on a hot day so that you can't really go in it, unless you like 110+ water :). They can also get crowded if big tour groups are in. What I like to do is go at night or really early in the morning. Then you have the place to yourself and the water is perfect hot tub temperature. Or you could go on a rainy day, as that seems to cool things off. Other options for mineral/sulphur baths are Jerusalem Falls--a very cool, more local place, and the Diamond Falls Botanical Gardens, which is a beautiful gardens, with great photo ops. Each of these locations are down south.

The best places to get local food (vegetables, fruits, meats, fish, spices, etc.) is at the Soufriere public markets and the Castries public markets. The freshness, prices, etc. are best buying locally in the markets. You can also pick up some good things driving the road from Marigot to Soufriere, if you keep your eye out and stop along the way. For packaged foods and other staples the Super J's markets are decent and there is one along the way from Marigot to Castries where you can stock up. Shopping in Marigot isn't really that exciting.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
348 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: day sail and/or water taxi optiions from marigot bay

has anyone on here heard of some gardens that have prayers throughout? I thought I read about it but can't find it now.

Reply to: day sail and/or water taxi optiions from marigot bay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Marigot Bay
Recent Conversations