We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe driving at night after Bio Bay visit?

Which La Parguera hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Safe driving at night after Bio Bay visit?

My family is so excited for our trip to Puerto Rico later this year, but I'm wondering if I'm being too ambitious in planning a Bio Bay tour at night at La Parguera, and then driving an hour north to Aguadilla where we are staying. (1) Is the trip to La Parguera Bio Bay worth it? Our standards are low, so even if there is low-glow, a night kayak will be fun. (2) Is an extended night drive like that safe? I can manage directions and local driving customs, but we can find plenty of other fun activities if a drive like that is ill-advised.

11 replies to this topic
Bedford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,953 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe driving at night after Bio Bay visit?

It is very dim.

But it is safe to make the drive as long as your not going to get out of your car and run thru the cane fields.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe driving at night after Bio Bay visit?

Why Aguadilla?

Berwyn, Illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe driving at night after Bio Bay visit?

Why not? I'm staying there in Jan 2015.

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe driving at night after Bio Bay visit?

I'm not sure if there is a tour company offering night kayaks at bio bay on La Parguera, Lajas. I thought only electric boats. Still it is a nice thing to do.you could visit Cabo Rojos lighthouse and then off to La Parguera.

Your travel time is about one hour 20 min, depending from where in Aguadilla you are staying. Safe driving, mostly straight road, but a bit dark. Enjoy :)

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe driving at night after Bio Bay visit?

Thanks for the replies. This was for a spring break 2014 trip. We ended up planning to go to La Parguera after a day trip to the stunning lighthouse and beach at Playa Sucia. (Can't recommend that trip enough!) The kids were tired, though, and a little freaked out by reports of tons of jellyfish in the bio bay. Whether or not that was true, we just went back to our place for the night. Aguadilla was fantastic because we stayed in a condo with an infinity pool overlooking the ocean and Crashboat Beach. And we felt comfortable driving around PR, day or night. Turns out, my driving style is a good fit for Puerto Rico :)

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe driving at night after Bio Bay visit?

The trip from Aguadilla to La Parguera Bio BAy is a safetrip. Is one hour and 6 minutes, all depend from weather conditions and traffic. Most visitors I recommended the longer way to Guanica en there make a right and take 116 road to Lajas and there 304 to La Parguera. Is all road No. 2 into Guanica Exit and then take road 116. This will take about 1:hours plus 25 minutes but is directly. Another option is stay in a local hotel. Prices are economical. During the day you can go to the cays and at night you can go to the Bio Bay and swim. Any questions about it you can call 787 326-8854 or write at prtoursnet@gmail.com. There are many attractions in the area that makes family happy and 2 companies that give the service boat and kayaks.

Berwyn, Illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe driving at night after Bio Bay visit?

Thank you :)

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe driving at night after Bio Bay visit?

Yes is a safe trip. Every tourist need to take security measures as : have a good car, with gas, eat in the town not in the street...but La Parguera itself is a very secure place and people are very friendly and humid. Most tours and made by locals. If you come from San Juan or Aguadilla is full highway. Any questions aratispr@gmail.com

Colebrook...
Level Contributor
48 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe driving at night after Bio Bay visit?

We're hoping to make a similar trip there from Rincon in a few months, so I appreciate the updated info. I didn't realize they allow swimming in that bio bay, very cool (assuming there aren't a ton of jellyfish)!

Colebrook...
Level Contributor
48 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe driving at night after Bio Bay visit?

We did this last month and it was a great excursion from Rincon. We drove down the coast, had lunch in Cabo Rojo, then rented kayaks and snorkeled off Isla de Ratones. We then drove to La Parguera and had a lovely visit. Talk to the locals, they are full of helpful info and mostly well intentioned. We parked (free) and got tickets for a sunset bio bay tour, then had dinner and explored the lovely small town. This biobay is the least healthy on PR but we still saw the shimmery glow when our guide swam around the boat. Passengers didn't go in water due to jellyfish but I don't think it's a problem unless our guide was somehow immune :)

If you're looking for a massive glow then La Parguera will disappoint. Having seen nothing like it previously, I thought this little town was well worth the trip.

Reply to: Safe driving at night after Bio Bay visit?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about La Parguera