We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to Menorca...

Cardiff
Level Contributor
99 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
1st time to Menorca...

Hi

Im flying out on Wed 16th Sept with my 3yr old daughter.

Were staying in Calan Forcat, for a week, Ive hired a car for the duration.

Looking for some advice on things to do and see, nice places to eat, nice beaches anything you can offer would be greatfully appreciated!

Also where would be the nearest supermarket to the Talayot apartments? I've heard the one across the road from the apartments is very expensive.

Just seen the weather forecast for next week as well :-( Does anyone own a magic wand and can sort that out for us?? lol

Looking forward to your replies

Thanks

milton keynes
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to Menorca...

the 1 across the road is the same prices as the rest of the resort. go to discont in ciutadella, if you follow signs to cala blanca, you will see it off the main road.

weather, my family who work in the resort are saying fine till 28th .

Beachs, Cala Bosh (30 mins drive), Cala Galdarna and Binibeca (45 mins ish). Sunbeds can be upto 8 euro each, plus extra for parosal. Ticket price is all day, so no point going late afternoon as its same cost. If you leave, make sure to let them know or leave a towel, as they will resell if not. Might be best buying own mats.

Eating out, El Triton in Ciutadella port, for nice cheap tapas. Vimpy in Fedarias (what is on the main road to Mahon, so ideal if you go their 1 day). In resort, Gril Las Brasas is good, off the main road near Porkys. For breckfast Las Yocas just past the roundabout on the right, has a good range.

If you fancy a boat trip, Noracar (round the corner from Top Market deal direct with owners, so cheaper then via the rep. The lady is called Julie, and she is english.

On a final note, there is a water park in resort, what your girl will love!!!!

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,520 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to Menorca...

I agree re sunbeds - always very expensive. As you are taking the car out and about, for around 15E or less you can buy a sunbrolly and a rafia beachmat out there ( check mat sizes as some of cheapest are not v big) and a brolly which you can take wherever you go - these plus a beach towel should be fine.

The resort supermarkets everywhere are always much dearer than the inland shops. The Euroski supermarket in the industrial estate in Cuitadella (the side road with "Leo" leather shop on the corner is where it is located) is very good and has "pick and self weigh" for fruit and veg, plus everything from cheap water through to expensive hams etc. When visiting any town the "Spa" supermarkets are good too. I suggest that if you have one you pack a soft coolbag (& freezer pack if there is room) for picnics and to keep any frozen stuff frozen on the way back from the shops to the appt.I will post up again over the next day or so with ideas of places to go ( Son Bou would be good for example)

Cardiff
Level Contributor
99 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time to Menorca...

Thanks both for your replies... really helpful!!!

I look forward to hearing reading moor.

Thanks Again :-))

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,520 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time to Menorca...

Forcat is not typically menorcan (it is one of the most englishified resorts) but it is going to give you places on your doorstep that will cater for your little one. I assume that most of your outings and activites will revolve around him/her so I have not mentioned things that will not be very entertaining for little ones but here is a link to an information site with pages covering all the major areas of interest to tourists http://www.menorca-minorca.co.uk/index.htm - you can navigate around on it to check out all the resorts.so give you more information - http://www.menorca-net.co.uk/ is another.

As you have the car get out of the resort and explore as the island has masses of beaches. The roads on the island are very clearly marked and driving is easy once you remember that the main ME1 runs from Mahon in the east to Cuitadella in the west and that the roads to everywhere else run off it in a herringbone fashion. You should definitely check out the beaches in Cala Galdana and Son Bou and drive off up to Fornells ( no beach but stunning bay and waterfront with boats etc.).Cala N Bosch to the south of Cuitadella is another place that is a popular location for families but does not have such a big beach. We usually say in Santo Tomas (near Son Bou) which is ideal for quiet family holidays ( too quiet for some) – if you go down there check out the Pony Club at back of the resort (signposted left opposite the Las Dunas complex) it is only open in the mornings ( closed on Fridays and sometimes on Mondays too) but is good for tinies to either just look at the ponies or have a short ride ( held on by mum).

You will find childrens playgrounds and the like everywhere on the island and for those attached to restaurants etc. you just need to buy a drink or icecream to be welcome to use them.There is a small childrens zoo on the island (no large animals) called Lloc de Menorca which you should find leaflets about in the resort but unfortunately its website is all in Spanish–see http://www.llocdemenorca.com/index.html. --this is at the Mahon end of the ME1 road. There is also a large place on the left on the ME1 road on the way out of Cuitadella towards Ferrarias before the Galdana turn off (look out for a huge Teepee and go carting arena in the grounds) which I believe has a pool, childrens playarea and snack bar etc as well as a biggish leather, Lladro, gifts etc. shop. There is an excellent horse show place just outside Galdana which is offered as a coach excursion by the tour companies but is just as easy (and cheaper) to do on your own (take Galdana turning from the main ME1 road and it is on your left a short way down the road).You will find leaflets about this and other things to do and see everywhere and there are tourist information offices in Cuitadella (Plaça Catedral, 5, 07760 Ciutadella de Menorca, Telephone: +34 971 382 693) and in Mahon (Sa Rovellada de Dalt, 24, 7703 Mahon Telephone: +34 971 363 790 Fax: +34 971 367 415)

There is an Aquacentre at Cala N Blanes near Forcat if you are interested in that sort of thing although your child is probably too young at the moment–see http://www.aquacenter-menorca.com/ plus there is another in Cala N’Bosch called the Aquarock centre but the website for it is not active at the moment so I do not know if it is still open ( see http://www.menorcaaquarock.com/

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,520 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time to Menorca...

Oh,I forgot to say make sure that you have asked for a child seat for the car - at this point in the season there shouldn't be a problem but best to check.

6. Re: 1st time to Menorca...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 16:20
Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time to Menorca...

Most of what you wanted to know has been covered by Mreg, but for beaches as well as Magic's reco's of some of those in other resorts, you should know that you're on the right side of the island to visit the untouched beaches of the south west.

Macarella, Macarelletta, Turqueta, Tailer and Son Saura are all reached from the Cami de sant Joan off the Cuitadella ring road - Only Macarella has any facilities (a small beach bar and restaurant with showers and toilets). The others are all still completly untouched by development.

If you want to visit these beaches then either see my previous posts or use the search box for advice on parking and directions, or let me know if you need more info.

JtheD

Cardiff
Level Contributor
99 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time to Menorca...

Thankyou very much to both of you for all the info and tips!!

Fantastic! Im really looking forward to it now.

Do either off you know of any contact details for the Talayot? I need to contact them before we leave on Tues. I found an email address for them, emailed them. but its been returned!

Thanks again for the info! :-))

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,520 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time to Menorca...

Am slightly confused as the only Talayot I found via google search came up as in Cala N Blanes - if this is the one then the details are Telephone: +34 971 388 462

Fax: +34 971 388 041

Email: talaiot@infotelecom.es

Web Site: www.infotelecom.es/talaiot

(see http://www.islas.co.uk/talayot_apartments.htm )

Cardiff
Level Contributor
99 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time to Menorca...

I thought it was near the Cala Blaines apartments, but our tickets and holiday info is saying Calan Forcat, I'll find out Wed morning I guess lol

Thanks for the contact information, I will ring them.

:-)

Get answers to your questions about Cala'n Forcat
Recent Conversations