We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which place to stay?

Dorset
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Which place to stay?

Can't decide between Talayot Appts and Vista Picas appts. We are a couple without children who like plenty to see and do. Was wondering if anyone knows if either of these are better placed for maybe more romantic restaurants and also for walking to Cuitadella. Looking at staying last two weeks of May.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,769 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which place to stay?

I cannot answer about the accomodation as it is not a resort I stay in myself but I have to tell you that although it IS possible to walk into Cuitadella it is a fair old walk from the resort and not a particularly attractive one.

Also, I do not envisage there being many "romantic restaurants" in the Cala N'Forcat area as it is a purpose built resort which is very much aimed at the family package holiday market so the restaurants etc. are going to be aimed at that type of clientel. You may well be better looking at somewhere in Cala N'Bosch, Cala Galdana, Cala N'Porter ( which has a night club if you are that way inclined) etc., where there is still going to be plenty to do but more of a mix of families and couples.

Edited: 05 February 2012, 16:42
London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which place to stay?

"if either of these are better placed for maybe more romantic restaurants"

All the restaurants are along 2 roads, so I doubt much difference. Talayots is at one end ,Vista at the other end I think . There are no real what I IMHO would call romantic restaurants in the resort-these would be in Ciutadella and it is a LONG walk as you will have follow coastline-buses are regular and Taxi back would be cheapish. There are better spanish restaurants in resort but not aimed at that clientele. But then again you might find them romantic.

Edited: 05 February 2012, 16:56
Dorset
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which place to stay?

Thanks for all your advice - may-be I should'nt have used the word romantic?

Am really after a good choice of restaurants that are not serving all food with chips.

We would not normally opt for a really 'touristy' resort but were thinking it might be our best bet early season. Our ideal resort has plenty of places we can walk to during the day (up to I hour each way) and a good selection of shops, bars restaurants that are maybe a 15 minute walk for the evening. Do you think Cala'n Bosch has enough bars and restaurants open early season?

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,769 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which place to stay?

" Am really after a good choice of restaurants that are not serving all food with chips " - while this is not isn't exclusively what you will find in Cala N'Forcat ( to say so would be unfair I know) , the menus there are going to be more that way because it is a summer resort aimed at the british family market so they will be pitching their menus accordingly. Cala N'Bosch should be fine when you are thinking of going ( and you can still get a bus into Cuitadella for more local feel ), and has the marina to people/boat watch along in the early evening but you are right that the first month of the season is going to be quieter everywhere on the island.

MenorcaIslandboy and Carolina both know Cala N'Porter much better than I do but I think that that might be one of the better choices for for you if you are worried about Cala N'Bosch in May. The Hotel Playa Azul there is getting good reviews at the moment (and is available via UK tour operators) or if you are not fussed about beach facilities Es Castell ( not to be confused with Arenal Den Castell which is further North) as both of these places are going to be more "open" early on as they are catering for locals and tourists

Edited: 05 February 2012, 19:35
Warrington, Cheshire
Level Contributor
522 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which place to stay?

I usually stay in Cuitadella and last year we ventured to Cala n Forcat to take a look around and we found a restaurant called Maxis or Maxims, it was away from the main strip, close to the Hotel Faragut, on a one way system, near some new apartments, and was on the sea front with fabulous views and advertised as having beautiful sunsets although we were never there at that time of day. It was so peaceful listening to the waves on the rocks and looking out along the coastine, and quite a suntrap, they actually had sun loungers if you wanted to relax after lunch, it was hard to believe we were in Cala n Forcat. We just had a light lunch but I recall the restaurant had quite a good menu and we said we would definitely return on our next visit. Cuitadella has some fabulous restaurants but I would not like to walk there, there is a bus service and a taxi would not be too expensive.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,769 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which place to stay?

I think it is called Maxis Midge-ntl. I remember that Magicbeer mentioned it several times as being more menorcan than other places in Forcat when he was posting up a year or so ago and made a mental note to try and find it myself whilst out and about in the car but haven't done so yet ( maybe this summer if you think it is worth a visit)

Edited: 05 February 2012, 21:17
Paignton
Level Contributor
111 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which place to stay?

Just to throw in my two penneth worth, last October my wife and I stayed at the Almirante Faragut on all inclusive, enjoyed it so much we are returning in June.

Anyway the point is while we were AI and the food there was excellent, we also enjoy eating at restaurants that do not serve chips with everything and found a lovely one in Cala n Blanes called Es Pitus, about a 20 minute walk for us and well worth it. There certainly are nice restaurants in the area if you look away from the main tourist areas.

With regards to the walk to Cuitadella, I disagree entirely with previous comments. It is a lovely walk following the coastline with something to look at all the way and hardly any traffic, don't follow the bus route follow the coast.

We are both in our mid 50's and did it in about 1.5 hours (nice lunch and bus back about 1.60 euros) looking forward to doing it all again this year.

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which place to stay?

"We are both in our mid 50's and did it in about 1.5 hours"

...good on you too, though long and 1.5 hours seem to belong in the same sentence perhaps?

I tend to use adjectives that match the, unfortunately in my experience here , post of uk holiday makers who sadly fret at anything over 30mins/300metres :-) The issue re coastline for other readers was that Forcat etc and Ciutadella are separated by a long inlet hence while the crow flies its short the coast is long and 'wriggly'

For original Poster. firstly last 2 Weeks of may is fine for ALL resorts re places open-though bigger places eg Forcat/Bosch/Son Bou can have an 'empty feel' in bars/restaurants over smaller resorts so atmosphere might not so good etc etc .

Foract is compact enough to walk the Avenuida Los Delfines (where all the action is ) and choose by looking eg La Brasas,Yucca Bar - just look for the well dressed spanish seating there

Paignton
Level Contributor
111 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which place to stay?

menorcaIslandboy, agree entirely, each to their own and know what you mean about UK holiday makers, the point I was trying to make was that if you enjoy walking, which the original poster was asking about, it is quite pleasant. If you struggle to make it to the pub/chippy it's not for you :-)

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Which place to stay?

Hmm - Maxis - have been wanting to have a nose for some time now, if only to see what magic was all about.- his "antie / cousen" (sic) if I remember right

As for the OP, wish list is: last 2 weeks in May, decent food, a bit of life for early season. - makes me think C'n Porter? Easy access to Mao, and plenty of places to eat out.

JtheD

Get answers to your questions about Cala'n Forcat
Recent Conversations