We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self catering in Cala Galdana or other resorts.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Self catering in Cala Galdana or other resorts.

I'm trying to find a self-catering holiday in Cala Galdana or another nice resort that is within our budget for 19 August for 2 weeks.

We are a family of 4: two adults, two children (4 years and 7 Years).

We wanted a short flight from Bristol, hence why I am looking at Menorca as an option.

I have looked at many reviews on TA, and Cala Galdana ticks many boxes for us. Lovely beach, restaurants, not too far from the airport, not too noisy at night.

Ideally, I'd like a 2 bedroom apartment, but I think this option is not within our budget.

We don't want totally basic accommodation, and aren't fussed about 4 star.

I note that the Galdana Garden Apartments have some good reviews.

To those of you who have stayed there, what are the sofa beds like in the lounge?

I would also appreciate any suggestions of others resorts: Binibequer, Punta Prima, Son Bou etc. and self catering accommodation.

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Self catering in Cala Galdana or other resorts.

Hi ,

Sorry you did not say what the budget was? Just that you might do better going private SC than commercial SC.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self catering in Cala Galdana or other resorts.

£1800 - £1900. I've looked into various options: Owners Direct, Tour Operator, booking via Direct Holidays, On The Beach, Travel Republic. Most of these options for Cala Galdana are £2000+. I've seen package holidays in Calan Forcat and Calan Bosch for around £1600, but I understand that these resorts are busier/livelier than the type of resort we are looking for.

milton keynes
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Self catering in Cala Galdana or other resorts.

Both Bosh and Forcat can be busy in the larger complexs at that time of year, but there are smaller places what will not be as bad.

In Forcat, Menorca Sea Club, Las Yukas or Bini Forcat would be ok (not sure if Sea Club does 2 bed rooms), or in Cala Bosh Menorca Mar (but note its a 15 min walk to the beach/marina).

You will only see livley if your about after 1am!!!!!!!!!! The places I have posted are well away from places that are open late.

Bosh has a nice marina, but in Forcat there is a lot more for the children to do, as most other resorts have very limited kids things at night.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self catering in Cala Galdana or other resorts.

Thanks MagicBeer. I'll have a look at those options. It would be lovely to stay in a quieter location with a spanish feel, but I think our kids would be bored! We will hire a car, so we can tour around to find some quieter places.

milton keynes
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Self catering in Cala Galdana or other resorts.

If you have a car, I am sure Forcat would be a good base, for days out and you have things for the kids in the evening

You can drive from one side of the island to other in about 1 hour, and if staying in Forcat, the best beachs on the island would be about a 30-45 min drive, except for Cala Bosh what is closer to 20 min.

Just to give you an idea of what to expect at night, you have bars with playstations etc, outside bars with bouncy castles, the Es Forn area what has archade type games, and nearby bars, restraunts.

There is also a water park nearby, what does cheap tickets after 1pm, perhaps on the back of a trip to the nearby town of Ciutedella in the morning.

The following I would avoid in Forcat, only because you do not want busy, and they are larger complexs.

Hotel/Appartments Los Delfines, Talyort, Los Lentiscos and Binimar.

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Self catering in Cala Galdana or other resorts.

A small car at that time of year will set you back £300-450 a week (if you can get one ) so I would focus on the resort. Your children are only 4 & 7 so with good beach and some climbing/playareas they should be entertained in almost any Menorcan resort IMHO ?

FYI A basic 2 Bed private apartment for that period would be circa £800-1000 ,flights are about 200-250 per seat so I would say that is the ball park budget for Menorca.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self catering in Cala Galdana or other resorts.

Wow, expensive to hire a car! I had no idea.

Our kids don't tend to stay up late in the evening, they get too grumpy the next day. So we would probably go out for an early evening meal and then return to our accommodation so that we can enjoy a drink whilst the kids go to bed. We would probably have a couple of later nights for the children.

A friend of mine managed to get a very reasonable package holiday to Arenal d'en Castell a couple of years ago. She said that although the resort was very geared up towards the Brits Abroad, she (and her family) enjoyed the holiday.

I hadn't looked at the north of the island, as I read on http://www.islas.co.uk/castell.htm that the north can be very windy towards the end of the summer (we are aiming for end of August).

Birmingham
Level Contributor
468 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Self catering in Cala Galdana or other resorts.

The sofa beds at Galdana Gardens would be fine for you children. We stayed in 2009 and are going again this year with 2 children. The rooms have 2 sofas each with a pull out bed underneath. Unlike other places where we have stayed where you have to make beds up out of the sofa every night, these beds are ready made and just pull out on castors, they then have legs that pull out from underneath making them into a proper little bed. You just tuck them back under in the morning. The maids then change the sheets at the same time as the twin beds. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending them for a family of 4 and I certainly wouldn't pay extra to get a 2 bed apartment in the resort.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,688 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Self catering in Cala Galdana or other resorts.

If you tend to concur with your friends view on things generally and she/he said that Arenal was rather "British" then in my opinion, you would quite possibly find that Cala N'Forcat is more British holiday market than your friend found Arenal to be. As MenorcaIslandboy has said , your children are very likely to be happy in most resorts on the island so IMO you ought to concentrate on somewhere that suits you as a couple not simply base it on cost alone ( although I realise that this is a factor).

If you are not considering car hire now that you know how much it is likely to be (availability in August may be difficult too) and so will not be going out touring a lot you may prefer to stick with your original areas of interest in order to make sure. From reading what you described initally and in your subsequent replies, together with where you have been before according to the " travel pins" shown on your profile ( Jersey, Saint Malo, South of France, Italy, Hong Kong, Australia etc.) I suspect that you could well find Cala N'Forcat and its surrounding area too "british" with not enough other benefits to counteract this and be the ideal location for you. Although as Magicbeer has already said, you can avoid the noisier evening entertainment in Forcat it this is not your scene, but as you mentioned Cala Galdana and other more reserved resorts in your original post I personally think that you would be happier looking at that sort of place.

I see that you are a littled worried about chosing anywhere on the North /North east areas because of them being windy. Certainly it is true that when the wind is coming onto the island from the North it can get quite breezy up there ( this is why the North is so popular with water sport enthusiasts) but this is not all the time nor is it likely to be unpleasant gales - in fact in August a breezy day is far more likely to be very welcome to help cool you all down a little. In general there are no large or busy resorts on the North Coast and of those on the N/ East coast Arenal D'En Castell ( not to be confused with Es Castell which is on the S/E directly to the South of Mahon) is the busiest but have you looked at Son Parc ( search the forum eg http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?scope=2&ff=494&geo=187464&q=son+parc&returnTo=__2F__ for more information) ?

I would also recommend that you have a look at the website links given in my post on tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187464-i494-k4176… - these may help you to try to decide on one or two locations that tick the most boxes and you can then see what is out there.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Self catering in Cala Galdana or other resorts.

Thanks MenorcaReg for your detailed reply. Lots to think about. I am impressed that you have looked at the other destinations that I have been to, so you really have an idea of what I like. I would prefer the more reserved resorts rather than the brash type. And as long as there is a decent beach nearby and perhaps a pool at the apartments, my kids will be happy. As for hubby and I, we like eating out, so nice restaurants are a must. And if we rule out hiring a car, then we need to get around the island by bus.

I'll look at your suggestions.

Get answers to your questions about Cala Galdana
Recent Conversations