We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus between Santarem and Itaituba

Which Santarem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
Level Contributor
628 posts
222 reviews
Save Topic
Bus between Santarem and Itaituba

Does anyone know the timings of the bus between Santarem and Itaituba? And also the price?

7 replies to this topic
Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
113 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus between Santarem and Itaituba

You can check at Real Norte:

Address

Av Pres Getúlio Vargas, s/n to Centro

Itaituba / PA

telephone

+55 93 3518-1449

Adress

Rod Santarém - Cuiabá, s/n bx 3 Esperança

Santarém / PA

telephone:

+55 93 3524-0085

Brisbane
Level Contributor
628 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus between Santarem and Itaituba

Thanks, I googled Real Norte Itaituba and got this.

www.stmonline.com.br/index.php?id_opc=9

It doesn't give the prices but I don't think they would be too expensive.

Transbrasiliana: Marabá 09:00

Expresso Itaituba: Itaituba: 17:00

A Tapajós: Rurópolis 07:30 e 20:00 Itaituba 20:00

Real Norte: Seg, Quin, Sab 17:00

And boat times too!

ITAITUBA:

B/M ANA BEATRIZ I E II - QUINTA 16 hs - 3529-1470

N/M ANA VITÓRIA - ALTERNADOS 16 hs - 9123-0503

B/M SÃO BARTOLOMEU I e II - 9145-9252

B/M LÍDER VII - 3522-2870

B/M CIDADE DE TEREZINA III e SÃO TOMÉ - TERÇA 16 hs 9975-1520

B/M JOANA DARC - ALTERNADOS - 9149-3692

B/M NATUREZA - ALTERNADOS - 9975-4352

LANCHA VELOZ - DOMINGO / TERÇA / QUINTA - 14 hs - 9138-1001

LANCHA PRINCESA DO TAPAJÓS - SEGUNDA/QUARTA/SEXTA 14hs

TERÇA/QUINTA/DOMINGO PARA SANTARÉM 14hs NIKSON 9903-2973

I guess I need to find out how long the bus trip is as the boat trip is 14 hours.

We will be making this journey on a Saturday and returning on a Wednesday evening or Thursday flight if we can get reasonably priced Trip Airline seats. The ultimate goal is the Amazonia NP for birdwatching.

Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus between Santarem and Itaituba

As noted in your other post, one problem may be "if we can get reasonably priced Trip Airline seats" online without a Brazilian issued credit card.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
628 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus between Santarem and Itaituba

The other option we are considering is a bus from Alta Floresta (or nearest junction point on BR163) direct to Itaituba. This would depend on the reliability of the road conditions. Either way, we would get to Itaituba around the same time.

We check out of Cristalino around 11 am and have to sit around until whatever transport option.

TRIP

AFL 2259 STM 0120

STM 2015 ITB 2055

It seems the Real Norte website is down. I keep getting.

Sorry 'www.realnorte.com.br ' does not exist or is not available. The nearest BR163 town to Alta Floresta is either Guaranta do Norte or Matupa.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
628 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus between Santarem and Itaituba

Google map routes:

Alta Floresta-Guaranta do Norte 170 km – about 2 hours 22 mins

Guaranta do Norte to Itaituba 725 km – about 9 hours 2 mins

I could even drive that if we could find a car rental company that allows one-way drop offs without an expensive drop off fee.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
628 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus between Santarem and Itaituba

Does anyone have a progress report on the road conditions between Guranta do Norte and Itaituba, and then to Santarem? How much of the road is sealed?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
628 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus between Santarem and Itaituba

Just back from this trip so I have updates. The road was good from Guaranta to somewhere around Novo Progresso (not sure where as we fell asleep). The bus is pretty basic, not even an onboard toilet so we had to use the conveniences whenever it stopped at a roadhouse. Road was unsealed the rest of the way to Miritituba where you get a ferry to Itaituba. Trip took just under 20 hours, we got in around 4pm-ish.

From Itaituba to Santarem, we took the speedboat LANCHA PRINCESA DO TAPAJÓS which cost around R$65 and took 8 hours, beautiful scenery cruising town the Tapajos!

From Itaituba to Amazonia National Park, we could have taken a bus at around 10 or 11 am but wanted to get there early for birding so took a taxi for R$150. We already had park permits via email and had to stop at IBAMA so the staff could explain to the taxi how to get there. To get back, there is supposed to be a bus around 2pm, if we had waited we would have missed the speedboat to Santarem so hitched with a local couple and paid them the bus fare of R$25 each.

The guards at Urua guard post were great guys but only speak Portuguese so we couldn't talk to them too much. Accommodation in the bunk house is currently free and you have to bring your own non-perishable food to cook--we brought noodles, rice and tinned sausages. We weren't there for the food, we were there for the birds! Speaking of birds, we saw an amazing amount of birds including the spectacular Golden Parakeet, aka Ararajuba! This place really needs a proper eco-lodge, it's location over the Tapajos is amazing!

Reply to: Bus between Santarem and Itaituba
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted