We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we visit Ostia Antica and how do we get there?

Jackson, Mississippi
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Should we visit Ostia Antica and how do we get there?

My soon to be new wife and I will be taking our honeymoon to Italy in April and while our tour travels through a vast portion of central and northern Italy, we will be starting in Rome and will have one day of free time on our hands. I was wondering if Ostia Antica would be a recommended destination for a day trip and if so, how do we go about getting there. This will be our first trip to Italy so we are totally unfamiliar but I do know that our hotel is very near the Roma Termini station if that helps with your directions. Thank you.

Also, if you have any other possible sites we might want to consider, we'd welcome that information as well. We're looking for something that isn't too expensive or difficult to find.

Mid Atlantic U.S.
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we visit Ostia Antica and how do we get there?

Hi. My wife and I are going to Ostia on our last day in Rome later this year; it looks fascinating. It sounds like it's no problem getting to/from there if your using public transportation/taxi. The following website provides good info on getting there via train from points around the City of Rome. Website is http://www.ostia-antica.org/visiting.htm

Good luck!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,487 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we visit Ostia Antica and how do we get there?

To get to Ostia Antica from Termini, take Metro Line B towards Laurentina and get off at Piramide. Change there to the Roma-Lido suburban line, and get off at Ostia Antica. The journey is covered by the ordinary Metro tickets.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we visit Ostia Antica and how do we get there?

It's definitely worth a visit....

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/ostia_bracc

You may like to have a look here...

http://www.ostia-antica.org

... and, pehaps, download their handy "Tourist Guide"....

http://www.ostia-antica.org/touristguide.pdf

Peter

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
442 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we visit Ostia Antica and how do we get there?

I'm coming from Civitavecchia, do I still need to go to Termini to get to Ostia Antica? I also want to stop at the Vatician. Should I go to Vatician first or on way back to Civitavecchia? Thanks

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,946 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we visit Ostia Antica and how do we get there?

If you are coming from Cvitavecchia that is the FR-5 on this map (gold line)

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Get off at Ostiense not termini and the teminial to ther ostia Lido train is nearby. I have only come from the Piramide Metro stop.

if you want to go to the vatican area after ostia, get on bus 280 which goes near the Piramide metro stop to near Castel Sant'Angelo and walk ot St Peter's fron there. Buy tickets for the bus before boarding. same ticket to get to Ostia Antica on the lido train

you would get on bus 280 going north/west near the Piramide Metro stop

Edited: 09 February 2011, 16:56
Toronto, Canada
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we visit Ostia Antica and how do we get there?

Can anyone advise more information in details. I'm on a cruise and will go from Port of Civitavecchia to visit Ostia Antica. Is the FR-5 stop is right beside the port so that I can get on the transfportation to Ostiense and than take Ostia Lido train directly to Ostia Antica?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,487 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we visit Ostia Antica and how do we get there?

It is about half a mile from the dock gates to the train station in Civitavecchia. If you buy a BIRG (daily regional ticket) for €9, that will include travel from and back to Civitavecchia on the Regionale trains, the train to and from Ostia Antica, and unlimited travel on the Metro, buses and trams in central Rome.

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we visit Ostia Antica and how do we get there?

Thanks for prompt reply. Is it a well paved pedestrian walkway to reach the train station? Do you know where I can find the train time schedule so that I may check train timetable for retruning to cruise port from the city center as the boat will be leaving the port at 9 p.m. Can you also tell how long the train takes from port to Ostia antica?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,487 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we visit Ostia Antica and how do we get there?

If you go to Google Maps, you will see that to get from the port to the station, you use a street sidewalk.

You can get times from Civitavecchia into Rome from www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html and the train from Ostiense to Ostica Antica is a suburban service with frequent trains.

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we visit Ostia Antica and how do we get there?

Thank you. Just found out Ostia Antica ruins will close every Monday, this is the day I will arrive Rome port. Now, I have to change sight seeing place. Do you have any suggestion based on your past travel experience in Rome that I can spend 3/4 day (not city center area) excursion?