We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Civitavecchia to Ostia Antica to Fiumicino

Which Ostia Antica hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transport from Civitavecchia to Ostia Antica to Fiumicino

Can anyone offer me some advice on transport plan & costs for visiting Ostia Antica?

We arrive in Civitavecchia (after a cruise) at 9.00am. Our flight home leaves at 22.00 from Fiumicino. We think it will be a good opportunity to see Ostia Antico. We are a family of 2 adults & 2 children (9&10).

I can see 3 options but don't know which is better.

Option 1. Go directly to the airport, check-in the luggage (how early can we do this?) then get a taxi to Ostia Antica. I am a bit worried about getting taxi after reading www.slowtrav.com/tr/tripreport.asp…

Option 2. Use trains

So far, I have found there is a train from Civitavecchia to Ostiense (FR5 leaves every 1/2 hr approx.).

At Ostiense Station we store our luggage. I read some where there is luggage storage.

Take FR5 train to Ostia Anitca station (Lido line).

Walk to Museum & Ostia site (I think it is not too far away) Spend about 4-5 hours looking around.

Take train back to Ostiense. Collect luggage.

Get train to FCO. (FR1 ) Arrive around 6.30 pm.

I have found that finding information about times & tickets & costs for Rome Public Transport very difficult. My question is can this be done on a BIG Day ticket? or do we need other tickets.

Option 3. I wondered about getting the train to Ostia Antica and then storing our luggage somewhere there, and then getting a taxi to the airport at the end of the day. But I am unsure about cost & convenience. On the train map it looks like Ostia Antico is almost next door to the airport.

All advice welcome. Thanks.

Sydney
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from Civitavecchia to Ostia Antica to Fiumicino

Where do you pick up the FR5 train in Citiveccia for Ostia Antica - is it a direct train trip or do we have to go through Rome. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
11,664 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from Civitavecchia to Ostia Antica to Fiumicino

There is no luggage storage at Roma Ostiense, you'd have to go to Termini for that.

You won't be able to check your luggage in for your flight until two - three hours prior to departure. However, there is a left luggage office at the airport. If you use this, you'd need to take a taxi from the airport to Ostia Antica and back as it would take too long to go to Ostiense from the airport to make the connection to the Roma-Lido line.

Termini luggage storage: romatermini.com/en/…left-luggage

Airport luggage storage: adr.it/web/…pax-fco-baggage-services

Edited: 09 April 2014, 02:06
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
11,664 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from Civitavecchia to Ostia Antica to Fiumicino

The train station in Civitavecchia is located on Viale della Repubblica. If you are going directly to Ostia Antica from there you take a regional train to Roma Ostiense, then use the passageway to get to the connected station for the Roma-Lido line.

4. Re: Transport from Civitavecchia to Ostia Antica to Fiumicino

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 01:15