We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Mahon Airport

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
12 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Transport from Mahon Airport

Does anyone have any ideas as to the cheapest transport from Mahon Airport to Es Castell and approximate price?

Many thanks

milton keynes
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from Mahon Airport

This depends on number of people in your group (as well as ages). Also, the number of suit cases your taking (there is limited space in Taxis, and restrctions on Budget Transfers.

Also, do you know if the place your staying is a place that deals with UK Tour Operators (if you do not know, post the name of it and I will check it out). It does not matter if your booking is not with them, its just a restriction most budget transfer companys use, as budget service is not avaialiable to smaller complexs, as well as villas.

Once you post this information, we will be able to advise if Taxi, Budget Coach/Mini Bus transfer or Private Coach/Mini Bus is best.

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from Mahon Airport

you asked! cheapest is Airport Bus to Mahon, then No. 2 to Es Castell about 4 euros one way. Need two separate bus tickets Might take an hour depending on connections

taxi is about 15-17 Eur depending on drop off point in Es Castell ( 10 mins )

Cheshire - UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from Mahon Airport

The airport bus to Mahon (every half hour 25 past and five to the hour) is €1.55 and takes less than fifteen minutes. As long as it's not late you should just 'connect' with the Es Castell bus, also half-hourly - quarter past and quarter to the hour - fare is €1.60. The airport bus arrives towards the middle of the bus station - turn left off the bus towards the bar and the Es Castell bus goes from the first bay. With connections it's just over half an hour airport to Es Castell.

If you have cases, you put them in the side 'boot' of the airport bus yourself - on the Es Castell bus you leave your cases in the middle (standing area) of the bus opposite the exit doors.

Edited: 20 June 2010, 09:55
Cheshire - UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from Mahon Airport

I've swapped around those bus fares - one is €1.55 the other €1.60 - I actually think Es Catell is the €1.55 fare!

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport from Mahon Airport

Good info!

I think ,not that it matters, I paid 1.60 Es Castell to Mahon and 1.55 the other way, the other week :-) had something to do with angle of the sun. I guessed out at 4 Euros, anyway bargain unless there is four of you when taxi looks good.

PS love the buses though- you sit high up and can see lots more

Cheshire - UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport from Mahon Airport

Mahon to Son Bou at €2.25 one way is outstanding value, and it's nice to be driven around as well!

Preston
Level Contributor
12 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport from Mahon Airport

We booked A2B taxis wasn't as cheap as I thought £45 return, resort hoppa about the same.

Save Reply
8. Re: Transport from Mahon Airport

Hi magicbeer,

I hope you can help me as you are an expert. My wife and I booked flights to Menorca for the 6th of August for a long weekend. I am at the point now where we want to book a hotel and a hire car and I started realising that there are not many options left as they are all quite full. I can get away with hotels but I cannot find a car to hire at a reasonable price. The cheapest I found was for £211!! Are there any alternative solutions to that? I wouldn't mind us hiring a bike (automatic). As for hotels the Barcello Hamilton in Es Castell sounds quite central especially if we don't manage to get a car!!

Thanks,

milton keynes
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport from Mahon Airport

This is one for the other DE's and members.

I have a feeling you have left it to late for a car on the 6th, but if anyone know local companys in this resort it might help.

Have you booked the Hotel? Is it just adults in the group or have you got kids with you? If its not booked, I might be able to help you with alternative resorts with better public transport

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,862 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport from Mahon Airport

This is for OrangeMadness.

You have said "my wife and I .... for a long weekend" in your post so I assume that it is just the two of you and that you are not therefore after a standard beach location and want something more special for your short stay. As you are only going for a long weekend you may be able to pick up a good last minute deal from ones with spare capacity but getting somewhere booked asap is essential as there will be a lot of spaniards coming to the island in August as well as the british package holiday traffic.

You posted your message on the Es Castell forum can you please say whether this was because you want to be in the Es Castell/ Mahon area or just co-incidental because it was about transfers? As you will have realised from the posts above about the cost of bus fares Es Castell is within easy distance of both the airport and Mahon itself so being carless might not be the disaster it may seem if you were located there - there is a water taxi service from Es Castell to both Mahon harbour front where you will find all manner of restaurants and bars and can wander around the town and do lots of people watching (there are a lot of very expensive properties and yachts there) or using standard taxis may work out OK too, well, less than the car hire price that you mentioned at least!.

If you wanted to stay in Mahon itself the 4* Hotel Port Mahon ( see sethotels.com/es-det-hotel-port-mahon-2.php ) has a great location above Mahon Harbour .If you do not mind being further affield but want that something a little bit special I would also suggest that you consider country house hotels of which there are many dotted about the island but without a car you would be dependent on taxis. I am not sure how often our DE Raff is picking up on the forum at the moment but if you want recommendations on Country House places it might be worth sending her a private message and asking her for suggestions - I know of a newly opened one in Es Migorn Gran that looks lovely but that is quite a way from both the airport and Mahon

Get answers to your questions about Es Castell
Recent Conversations