We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Menorca like to drive in?

Glasgow, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What is Menorca like to drive in?

We will be staying at the Barcelo Hamilton Hotel, Es Castell, at the end of June 2011 and are thinking about hiring a car for a couple of days a car to tour the island. I'm the sole driver and have no experience of driving on the right hand side of the road so I'd like to know how busy Es Castell is to drive in and how busy the roads are to other parts of the island at that time of the year. Also, what are the chances of the drivers over there being tolerant of a driver like me being cautious and taking my time as I adjust to driving on the opposite side of the road to that in the UK?

Edited: 05 February 2011, 16:57
Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is Menorca like to drive in?

I hires a motor car in Menorca and found it extremely easy.

driving on the " wrong " side of the road is not as difficult as you may think.The strangest part is changing gear with the "wrong" hand.

The roads are good and not too busy so providing you take your time and concentrate on what you are doing there will be no problem.

The local drivers seem very tolerant and will not bother you.

Go for it and enjoy it.

After just a few minutes it will feel OK -- remember you will be in a left hand drive car which makes it easier.

Graham

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What is Menorca like to drive in?

The hire cars stand out a mile and the islanders are used to driving on the right virgins. Go for it and park the car at the town entrance car park if you are worried about town driving-mostly one way systems in Es Castell

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is Menorca like to drive in?

Hi

If you avoid the bigger places like Mahon and Ciudadella, you will be fine.

I actually enjoyed driving in Menorca, as the roads are quiet, good surfaces and good signposts. I was last there in June last year and it was very quiet on the roads. You soon get used to going the wrong way around roundabouts and giving way to the left.

Its probably the easiest place in the Med to practice driving if you are a right hand side virgin.

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What is Menorca like to drive in?

If you are of a nervous disposition avoid Mahon or Ciutadella between 12:30-13:30 weekdays when locals will be doing wacky races driving to get home to maximise Siesta (busiest time of day ) :-)

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,887 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is Menorca like to drive in?

No problems with road signs etc ( even some "Stop" signs are in english) and there is rarely a lot of traffic.

Beware of speeding once you get more confidence though, the speed limit isn't high and even if you are tempted when locals whizz past you don't do it -a lot of people got caught out with speeding cameras in summer 2010 incurring up to a 300 euro fine)

UK
Level Contributor
173 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is Menorca like to drive in?

I agree with the other postings and would even drive in Mahon and Ciutadella at busy times because at times there is so much traffic it crawls and you have plenty of time to think. The locals are generally tolerant of tourists in hire cars but I always keep these three things in mind:

1. When doing a manoeuvre e.g. reverse parking, 3 point turn etc, when you might be partially blocking a carriageway, the Spanish way is not always to wait until the manoeuvre is finished before squeezing past. If they see a gap they will go for it. You just have to wait until the road is clear.

2. At T junctions where you are joining the main carriageway and want to go left i.e. crossing the oncoming traffic from the left - in this country (where it is a right turn) you wait for the oncoming traffic to clear and pull across the road and straight into the opposite carriageway - in Menorca there are a few junctions where you cross half way and sit in a filter lane, in the middle of the road, until the lane you are joining is clear. This can be a bit strange as you're relying on your mirrors and looking over your shoulder to see if all is clear. Fortunately most of these junctions have been replaced by roundabouts.

3. At roundabouts and T junctions where you're joining the main carriageway (and crossing the road on foot, for that matter) Look LEFT first.

You should be fine in Es Castell as most of it is one way narrow streets with plenty of directional signs and mirrors so you can see what is coming. You hire company will probably give you a basic map of the island so you can explore, but I always take a copy of 'Menorca Tour and Trail' map. It has all the roads, cycle routes and walks on and the 4th edition is probably the most up to date map of the island you can get. Just Google the title for suppliers.

Hope you enjoy it!

Glasgow, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What is Menorca like to drive in?

Thank you for all of the most helpful information which gives me a very good idea of what it will be like. Much appreciated.

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What is Menorca like to drive in?

Re: what's Menorca like to drive in.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMMd7lUFpEg

Just one thing to look out for - if someone flashes their lights at you it has the opposite meaning - back in UK it means you're welcome to pull out in front of me, in the Med a flashing headlight means "Watch out - coming through - stay way you are" just a minor difference but worth a shout I think.

JtheD

9. Re: What is Menorca like to drive in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 18:16
Get answers to your questions about Es Castell
Recent Conversations