We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just booked for Tamaimo Tropical AI

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
574 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Just booked for Tamaimo Tropical AI

Looking forward to going middle of July, despite some of the comments!

Any tips /advice/trips etc muchly appreciated :)

Karen

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,705 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just booked for Tamaimo Tropical AI

Hi Kaz

Sorry to be in a rush to answer but just going out, I have just recently given this info to poster Happyhols .......

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g673853-i12126-k…

DE Mybelle is away at the moment but she has stayed at Tamaimo Tropical and she thinks it's OK ..

Hope you can find something interesting in the above link ..

enjoy

Sylla

Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just booked for Tamaimo Tropical AI

Tamaimo Tropical was one of my six units I repped up in that region back in 2002. Its quite a large complex. Can't really comment on the food all that much as we only had the complex on a self catering basis back then. Its quite a family orientated complex, it has two very good sized pools, which kids will love and there is an entertainment programme available. Now when I was there, this was geared to French clientele oddly, but it never really bothered any of my guests. The complex is split in two. The original Tamaimo, which is the area to the left of the main reception and new wing which by now will be about nine years old. As a rule I preferred the rooms in the new block, they were definitely fresher and seemed brighter/larger. I preferred the pool and pool bar of the old block, as the new one seems more functional. If you come out of reception and turn left or right and follow the road around to the back you will find a small commercial centre, with an assortment of shops, a couple of bars for varying tastes ansd some good restaurants, even a fair sized, though expensive supermarket. The main town of Puerto Santiago is situated atop the hill in front of reception, so you have to take the road uphill to access it. At the top is another shopping centre called Vigilia Park, a pharmacy and bank. Following that road will take you along to Playa la Arena and the beach. If you take the pedestrian path at the bottom of the hill before the road tuns uphill towards Puerto Santiago you can walk to Los Gigantes, via Crab Island, a nice walk and Los Gigantes is good at night for a change of scene.

For trips out and about, boat trips to go Dolphin spotting run from the harbour at Los Gigantes and Sylla highly commends the Taxi's in Los Gigantes for the guided trip of the north coast - this will take you indepth into places most touristy guided tours barely just glance over. You can take the 472/473 bus from Puerto Santigo town down into P.D.L.Americas and L.Cristianos for a good walkabout. Free buses run for waterpark and Siam park. Another company spoken of kindly here for trips is www.tenerifesunshine.com. They will bring your tickets to the hotel for you. Anything else you would like to know, then please come back and ask.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
574 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just booked for Tamaimo Tropical AI

Can anyone tell me if the T.T provide towels for around the pool?? Other AI we have been to have done, but cant seem to find anything that says they do.

Many thanks

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,530 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just booked for Tamaimo Tropical AI

Hi Kaz

Reading the above posts it appears that the expert for the area is away at the moment so I phoned the Tamaimo on your behalf. Rachel on reception said they do not provide a pool towel service, and that the AI just includes food and drink.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,530 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just booked for Tamaimo Tropical AI

Sorry Kaz

Hit the submit button a bit early, what I meant to say was you could also visit Route 66 the cabaret bar next door to the Tamaimo. The resident band Old Dogs, New Tricks play Sunday to Thursday and are excellent. We will be there this evening but we have to get in early to get a seat as it fills up with tourists from the local hotels as well as those in Puerto Santiago who want to see something different to the snake or magic shows offered in the hotels.

If you would like to see the area you can check out http://www.losgigantes.com/VideoPlayer/ where you can see videos that range from 2003 to this year’s Carnaval. There are also some interesting ones on whale and dolphin trips and the forest fires of 2007

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
574 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just booked for Tamaimo Tropical AI

Thank you SO much for all the info you have given me... now I can settle down to see what trips etc I want to go on!!!

It really is appreciated

Karen

dalton lancashire
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just booked for Tamaimo Tropical AI

Hi

Me and 16 year old daughter went for last minute cheapie at easter. It was fine for a week AI. Food was good, nightime entertainment OK, drinks good, no snacks at pool bar had to eat in restaurant. On arrival allocated studio with air con but no balcony. Shower didnt work so moved to 1 bed apart with balcony but no air con. Warning people are up at 6.00am to reserve beds. I know because they woke us up dragging beds. Our room overlooked pool. not much going on outside hotel 3 supermarkets, few restaurants and couple of bars. No beach to speak of but nice cliffs. Not really in Los Gigantes more on outskirts of puerto santiago. Bit of a transfer as well 90 mins after drop offs.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just booked for Tamaimo Tropical AI

Hi Kaz,

I'm sure you;ll have a great time. We've stayed at the Tamaimo a few times but on self catering.

One thing we always do is head off to the Mar Blanco commercial centre behind the apartments. At the bottom is a lovely little cafe overlooking the sea. I'm sorry I can't remember it's name. It has lovely views over to La Gomera and you can sit and watch the sun set. If you're lucky you may see dolphins. It's below El Timon and Barco de Nino restaurants. Incidentally El Timon is our favourite restaurant if you fancy a nice meal out one night, instead of staying at the accommodation.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
574 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just booked for Tamaimo Tropical AI

Unfortunately we are having to cancel our holiday... were due to go next Friday. But hubby had a car accident 5 weeks ago, ended up with 8 broken ribs - so we are unable to go. Fingers crossed we will get our money back and we can go later on in the year.

Really disappointed, but his health comes first. Did put it too him that daughter and I would still go - didnt look too impressed :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just booked for Tamaimo Tropical AI

Hi Kaz

I have just read this post and am sorry to hear that you are having to cancel your hoilday, as you say health must come first but I do hope that you get your money back, get rebooked for a holiday later in the year and that when you do you all have a wonderful time.

I would have thought that any understanding husband would have said "you go" but there you go ;)just make sure that he makes up for it for both of you when you do go later in the year.

Joking apart I hope that your husband is making a good recovery and will soon be back fighting fit

Regards

Sparhawk1

Get answers to your questions about Los Gigantes
Recent Conversations