We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Los Gigantes or Puerto Santiago?

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Los Gigantes or Puerto Santiago?

Never been to Los Gigantes or Puerto Santiago before want to go for a week early November,which is the best resort for little local bars/cafes or tapas bars? Are both resorts within walking distance of one another?

Would appreciate any advice thanks.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Los Gigantes or Puerto Santiago?

Not sure on the bars / cafes side of things, really - we stayed in an apartment in Los Gigantes and most of the cafes etc that we saw there seemed quite 'English', if you know what I mean. Perfectly pleasant, but most of them not particularly Spanish-looking. I'm sure there ARE more authentic Spanish places around - I confess we didn't look that hard as we were on something of a tight budget and self catering! There seemed to be a little bit more in Los Gigantes than in Puerto Santiago, but they kind of join up, really. Definitely within walking distance of each other. Los Gigantes to Playa de la Arena is perfectly walkable, though there are good buses between the two as well. You'll probably have a fair bit of up and down hill to do, depending on where exactly you are, but it shouldn't be so hot in November (walking back from Playa de la Arena to the top of Los Gigantes last week was too too hot!).

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,102 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Los Gigantes or Puerto Santiago?

Hi

As previously advised, this area is predominantly British - The tourist village of Los Gigantes was created in the 1970s, in a previously deserted and barren area, predominately by British Nationals, and you can still see the predominately British influence there today. There is not much Spanish influence (a little) but not a lot. If this is what you are looking for you will find more in the Los Cristianos area. I am attaching a link which will give you information on the area regarding bars and restaurants, shopping

http://www.losgigantes.com/

Some info on Puerto Santiago http://www.tenerife-puertosantiago.com/en/

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Los Gigantes or Puerto Santiago?

As said before here Los Gigantes is more British. Puerto de Santiago has a few tapas bars and more authentic restaurants in the road behind the Vigilia Park development. If you eat in the Tamaimo Tropical area of Puerto they are more British again.

You can get into Alcala and Playa San Juan easily from Puerto de Santiago though, which are more Spanish too.

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Los Gigantes or Puerto Santiago?

Thanks for your help,may still give it a try. Been to Los Cristanos about 10 years ago,I like it but my hubby gets fed up with all the timeshare guys.Are there many in Puerto Santiago area too?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Los Gigantes or Puerto Santiago?

Can't remember being stopped ever in the area and we've been on quite a lot of occasions.

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,603 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Los Gigantes or Puerto Santiago?

Hi Charley

You will not find any time share people in Puerto Santiago...this is one of my favourite areas.in Tenerife, a small rural town joined up with Playa la Arena and Los Gigantes...a lot of Canarians living in Puerto Santiago ..a nice small flat promenade,with a few shops bars and restaurants,and where you can watch the waves splashing on the rocks.

We stay in the Hotel Playa la Arena a really lovely hotel...spacious clean rooms ...lovely pools and gardens with terraces where you can find little private places to sun bath if you want to be quiet and there is no chasing sun beds in the morning as in other resorts near by ...there are plenty for every one....

You can get the 473 bus and in 10 minutes you will be in Playa san Juan or Alcala nice little towns ..with nice restaurants...a special is the Taberno del Puerto just opposite the little harbour in San Juan....

There are other nice places to visit aswell just a little further Garachico and Icod de los Vinos and Masca....

I have lots of photos of the whole area on my profile page ..if you care to just scroll down a bit to get to them ....

November a lovely time to go too...it's when we like to get there ..

Sylla

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Los Gigantes or Puerto Santiago?

Thanks for your help Sylla,had a look at your photo's really impressed,definately going to book for November.Glad there's no timeshare touts too.

8. Re: Los Gigantes or Puerto Santiago?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Los Gigantes