We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone been to Los Gigantes recently?

Cheshire
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Anyone been to Los Gigantes recently?

We have been going to Los Gigantes over the New Year period for the 5 years up until this one, where we decided to do something different. Now we fancy going there again but possibly at Easter instead, as we do really like it. The thing is that we had felt on our last visit in 2008/9 that it was going downhill a bit and don't want to be disappointed if we do decide to go again. The main issue is shops/restaurants closing down, particularly in the harbour area, where we'd often have a sundowner. Is the beach at all accessible now and if not, when might it be? And please don't tell me that the ice cream guy at La Vela (beach road) has packed in?!

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,543 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone been to Los Gigantes recently?

Hi,

We were there on New Years Eve and apart from the bar we were in in Puerto de Santiago it was very quiet. As we drove home the whole area was closed and no taxis around either so it wasn´t as if they were expecting custom from other bars and the odd club.

We were there a couple of weeks earlier at the Plaza (by the church) and the Highland Paddy was closed - don´t know if that is permanent or maybe they were on holiday.

The beach is closed with no news as to when it is likely to open as there have now been 3 rock slides, one in October, the very tragic on in November and a small one on 2nd December. So at the moment there is no access until further notice.

As far as the ice cream man is concerned, sorry I don't know him. Is it the place at the top of the hill before you start the steep descent into town

I would suggest you look at this site http://www.losgigantes.com/bars.htm which is regularly updated and maybe go on the message board. I am sure Dolly Driver who is a font of all knowledge will be able to answer your questions.

Best of luck

Cheshire
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone been to Los Gigantes recently?

Thanks very much for the prompt reply. I think we'll wait until the beach has reopened so that we can do the things we like to do. The ice cream I was referring to is on the beach road itself and I guess all business in that area will have suffered if there is no access.

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,770 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone been to Los Gigantes recently?

Where do you stay SBCheshire ? because it is really nice in the new part of Puerto Santiago/Playa la Arena ...and a nice clean beach....and a small promenade...then the other way a nice walk all newly paved...(see my photos on my profile page) until you reach the coast path built on the rocks up to the Hotel Barcelo Santiago......

Sylla

worcestershire
Level Contributor
89 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone been to Los Gigantes recently?

Just noticed your contribution.

We are going again to one of the few very nice PRIVATE apartments on the Marina run by losgigantesdirect.com because reports are that there is little deteriation to Los Gigantes itself but of course the beach area is a big blow to all concerned.

Whilst bearing this loss in mind Los Gigantes Marina Complex is still a fabulous place to visit and after all there are liso's and beaches only a short distance away

Going at end of Feb so only concern is the temp at that time.

Any ideas

Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
178 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone been to Los Gigantes recently?

Hi was there at start of December & also for New Year returned 8th Jan. If the ice cream man is right at the bottom of the beach road (the pedestrian route to the beach with shops on the left as you walk down past kids playground) then he is still open and serving the best fresh orange juice in Los Gigantes. New Years Eve was busy and the bars were packed & open until 3am! We had a great evening! Also the harbour/marina building was busy when we were there during the day with no obvious closures. We had wonderful weather on both trips never cooler than 19 degrees at night & hot during the day - I am considering coming back in February for a month as the weather will be the same with maybe an hours more daily sun so perfect! Just book & go!

Spain
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone been to Los Gigantes recently?

The Highland Paddy is open!!!!! Maybe you were in the village in the daytime as the bar opens at 6pm in the week & all day Saturday & Sunday for all the sport, great entertainment every evening with top class Cabaret acts then Karaoke. Also re New Years Eve - Los Gigantes was heaving!!! Big party in the square with all the local bars very very busyt too

Edited: 24 February 2010, 14:59
worcestershire
Level Contributor
89 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone been to Los Gigantes recently?

Not long got back and am pleased to report the the front of the Marina is quite busy .... there is a nw sgeneral shop and supermarket opened which is very good ... most bars werre open (one on holiday it seems and there is a new welcomed TAPAS bar to open at the end.

The back road is open to the bottom but the beach is closed as the cliffs are so high the council do not know where to start. The shame of the thing for us is that a fall may never recur ..

Boat trips and dive boats all busy .... in fact all as makes Los Gigantes unique.

There are other beaches not too far away and plenty of pools around to compensate.

GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone been to Los Gigantes recently?

Thanks for the update. Can't wait to go in a couple of weeks again. Glad to hear there's a new new Tapas place opening up too. :-)

9. Re: Anyone been to Los Gigantes recently?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Los Gigantes
Recent Conversations