We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Teide, Masca & La Gomera

London, England...
Level Contributor
54 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Teide, Masca & La Gomera

Hi, we're staying at the Los Gigantes hotel for a week next spring & want to do these 3 excursions; we're going with Thomson, I'm worried that if we do the excursions with Thomson then we'll be the first picked up & last dropped off on the coach, also their Teide excursion only gives you 3 hours there & that doesn't really sound like long enough to me. What alternatives are there for excursions other than the official Thomson ones?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
917 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Teide, Masca & La Gomera

What are you hoping to do at Teide?

If you just want to go up in the cable car to the upper station and back down again, 3 hours should be fine. There really isn't anything much at the lower station other than a shop, restaurant and toilets.

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,673 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Teide, Masca & La Gomera

The views are fantasic both on route and once there.......i could sit there and take it in all day ,but that said it doesnt change ,though as the sun moves the views alter drastically in shadows and shade .If your not into just views ,and the way Tiede is formed then 3 hours is enough .....but is that 3 complete hours once there or the overall trip ? If it is 3 hours overall including pick ups ,drop offs and getting to and from ,getting up and down in the cable car with queues that form ,its very little time !

London, England...
Level Contributor
54 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Teide, Masca & La Gomera

3 hours actually at Teide, I understand that the cable car takes an hour - I absolutely must go in that. I just thought that there was a big park to maybe walk around with the volcano in the middle. I enjoy looking at beautiful views & photographing them.

Horncastle, United...
Level Contributor
720 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Teide, Masca & La Gomera

Don't go to Teide on a Sunday! We attempted to drive there last Sunday and the roads were solid, almost stationary cars from all directions. We didn't even reach anywhere near base camp so turned back! It was a sunny day with a lot of snow around so possibly that was the big attraction!

Note also that although it was 24C at sea level, it dropped to 8C about 4,500 feet up.

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,673 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Teide, Masca & La Gomera

I heard the snow had caused a few issues and snow ploughs were trying to clear the roads maybe this was part of the issue H>Ned but lots will go when snow has fallen for the photo opportunity .Which brings up another point for Charlotte L snow can be a top sometimes in early spring .You may "pre book " only to find it cancelled .......or the cable car not running .

Horncastle, United...
Level Contributor
720 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Teide, Masca & La Gomera

Don't miss the almond blossom either, late January and February.

You don't get that in Cleethorpes ;-))

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,210 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Teide, Masca & La Gomera

I had a thread removed by 'the community' as it showed snow on Teide, they said it wasn't travel related as we dont have snow or snow ploughs!! Of course when explained to TA mods who dont actually know the island, it was reinstated.

Edited: 20 December 2013, 14:07
Horncastle, United...
Level Contributor
720 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Teide, Masca & La Gomera

Teide with snow on it is bootiful!! Particularly from a distance!!!

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,673 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Teide, Masca & La Gomera

Theres a lot we dont get in Cleethorpes ............LOL

Really cant see how snow on Tiede isnt travel related ?? Many tourists visit this place ,and by L>Neds post even more when snow has settled

Horncastle, United...
Level Contributor
720 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Teide, Masca & La Gomera

A lot of rain settled too, through the roof of our hotel!!

Get answers to your questions about Los Gigantes