We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

public transport to mount Teilde from The Royal Sun Resort ,

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
public transport to mount Teilde from The Royal Sun Resort ,

Can I get from Los Gigantes to Mount Teilde by public transport. We are staying at the Royal Sun Resort the second week in May

Thanks Sue

West Tenerife
Boat Tours, Waterskiing & Jetskiing, Scuba & Snorkeling
Flipper Uno
Dolphin & Whale Watching
Tenerife, Spain
Destination Expert
for Tenerife, Los Cristianos
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: public transport to mount Teilde from The Royal Sun Resort ,

You can but it will involve using two buses and an early start as there is only one bus a day (342) to the National Park, which leaves Las Americas bus station at 09.15. Also, there is no Bono card discount on the Teide route.

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: public transport to mount Teilde from The Royal Sun Resort ,

Dear cyberhiker,

Thank you so much for that, I don't mind early starts and bus stations; I just don't like being at the mercy of the 'organised trip' as the one on offer is only apparently ,a half day, and does not include the cable car. The weather forcast for that week means to get the best out of the day, I should go on Friday, Saturday or Sunday, as the rest of the week shows increasing cloud and winds.

Best Regards,

Sue J

Blackpool
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: public transport to mount Teilde from The Royal Sun Resort ,

You cannot rely on the cable car running on any particular day - apparently it does not run more often than it runs.

As far as the organised trips are concerned you might be better off using them for that particular trip since they will almost certainly cancel the trip if the cable car isn't running.

Also using the organised trips is the best way of seeing the island. There are many places that you can see on some of these trips that are difficult to get to otherwise and the bus fares on the island are not cheap.

It is 15 euros return from Puerto De la Cruz to Santa Cruz even using a Bono card.

When I say organised trips I don't mean those run by Thomas Cook or Jet2 but those run by the local tour companies. There should be agents for the local tours near your hotel - they should be easy to spot since they will probably have big boards outside advertising Loro Park and Siam Park.

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: public transport to mount Teilde from The Royal Sun Resort ,

I Thank you Gismo2004, your advice is sound, I have been researching the bus routes today and it does seem as if I was being very optimistic...I was told bus fares were very cheap and busses were frequent, but this is ovbiously not the case. Some bus routes seem to take forever and stop for everyman and his dog. One even got to the park and then you needed a taxi journey of 10k! I will check out the local trips first thing on the Friday morning , and get myself sorted. My better half reminds me that it is a holiday not a busathon!

Best Regards Sue J

Tenerife, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: public transport to mount Teilde from The Royal Sun Resort ,

You can't use the Bono cards on the Teide buses, so yes, they are more expensive. Personally, I feel that the idea that the cable-car is inoperative more often than it is working is an exaggeration, that's certainly not my experience. There is only one bus to the Las Cañadas park from each side of the island each day so I'm not sure what you mean Sue about 'a taxi journey of 10k when you get there?', the Teide buses stop at the cable car station. Buses from PDLA are frequent, there are over 30 a day and you will be able to get Bono discount on this route.

Tenerife, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: public transport to mount Teilde from The Royal Sun Resort ,

I meant buses from Los Gigantes to PDLA are frequent.

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: public transport to mount Teilde from The Royal Sun Resort ,

Thanks Cyberhiker, I looked on the Tisa site and found bus 342 from PLA, which left at 9.15 am, it seemed to say it arrived at the Parador National, and then required a drive or taxi to get to Teide. After reading your directions I now realise that the Parador is the visitors' centre, and that's where I would get off!

I am really looking forward to going to Teide and if the cable car is running or not I intend to enjoy a good day out in the National park.

I can't believe how helpful and supportive the contributors are, THANKS TO ALL.

Sue J

Tenerife, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: public transport to mount Teilde from The Royal Sun Resort ,

Hi Sue, the 342 will arrive at the Parador at around 10.45, where it will stop briefly before continuing to the cable-car station. Not sure what time it gets there but it's not many minutes in a car. It then continues to the visitor centre at El Portillo, which is across the far side of the park, it starts it's return journey from here in the afternoon. If you get off at the parador, you will still be some way from the cable-car station so you need to go to the next stop. There is a visitor centre at the parador too, well there will be when they finish it! It's been in construction for so long I've lost count.

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: public transport to mount Teilde from The Royal Sun Resort ,

Thank you Cyberhiker, I will post the outcomes of the expedition when we return.

Sue J

10. Re: public transport to mount Teilde from The Royal Sun Resort ,

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Los Gigantes
Recent Conversations