We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best resort for summer 2011

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
155 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Best resort for summer 2011

Hi. My husband and I are considering a 2 week holiday in menorca for next summer with our 3 kids aged 10,15 and 16. We would rent a villa and are looking for some advice on the best resort for our family. We definately want a villa where we can walk at iught to a good selection of bars and restaurants. We would hire a car for sightseeing and to visit waterpark etc but we wouldn't want to have to drive in the evenings. Any advice gratefully received. I have seen quite a few villas in Cala'n Porter that say they are 5-10 mins walk to shops, bars and restaurants but maybe there are other resorts we should consider???

milton keynes
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best resort for summer 2011

I have not been to Cala Porter a very long time, so not sure what that resort is like. Having a car means you got the daytime sorted, what it will come own to is what you want to do of a night time.

The resort I used to work in (Cala Forcat) is popular with familys with children your ages, but it is a very "British Holidaymaker" place, with only a handfull of local feel places (and some of them you have to know where they are to get to them). It is the most lively resort on the island, but only lively by Menorca standards. It would be the best if you go with that side of the island, as Cala Bosh I do not think has as much for the teenagers, and Cala Blanca has even less.

It is 3 small resorts, all joined by the same steets, to make 1 big resort. You have Cala Forcat, Los Delfines and Cala Blanes. Most Villas are in Cala Blanes, in 2 main areas. You have the area in the centre, with only 1 appartment complex near it, but only a 10 min walk to the centre of resort, and you have some on the coast road between Cala Blanes and Ciutedella.

You need to avoid them on the coast road, as your 40 min walk from the main street. If you look at this link, you will see some saying they are 10 min from the centre of the resort, what are ideal.www.islas.co.uk/blanes_villas.htm

Transfer would be 1 hour. Hire Car from airport would be best, as you can not get a cheap transfer to Villas, and taxi would cost about 70 euro.

For the daytime (or if you come back from a day out in afternoon),

3 beachs in resort, ranging from 5-20 min walk. Cala Blanes is the best, with pine trees and 2 bars. Sa Cova (the bar by the sea) does good value great food.

The Water park, 5 min walk from the area the Villas are in. (this year and last they was doing cheap tickets from 1pm, as its so close, you could perhaps get 2 trips to it in, in the afternoons).

Maxis, lower level has sunbeds on it, with the rock areas for the kids to go and explour.

At night,

Maxis again, live music some nights.

The Square, entertainement every night. There is a good choice of bars, but Jimmy Hills 2 and Blue Breeze could be the better choice, as the 15 and 16 year old might perfer the Disco music inside.

Lorenzos, has free playstaions for the kids to use, as well as other videos games etc.

Las Yocas, has mini golf

There is a bar with bonucy castles over the road from The Square, might be ok for the 10 year old.

Garea in Es Forn

There is other places, this is just the list of the best for your group ages.

Outside of Festa times, its safe the for 15 and 16 year old to go off and do their own thing. I used to run a family night club, and we got loads of teenages come in without parents. In general bars will allow them in on own, if they are buying a drink. You will need to give them a strict time to be back, or meet up as most resort bars are open till 2/3 am, with a few till 4am, and 1 sometimes open till 6am.

5 Supermarkets if you need anything quick, but save money by going to Ciutedella Hypermarkets in the car for bulk shopping.

Over 20 places to eat out, all max 15 min away.

The only downside, is that you will be at the far end of the island, but your still only 1 hour from Mahon. There is a petrol station 5 min drive from resort, on the main road.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
15,834 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best resort for summer 2011

Not sure about Forcat - it certainly has a lot of places to eat etc. but the beaches aren't so good and when I popped over there for a wander around a week ago it looked as though some places only opened in the evenings however Forcat is Magicbeers area of expertise so I will instead concentrate on Cala N'Porter which you originally asked about.

One of our regular contributers Carolina (who I think works in the travel industry in the UK) always recommends Cala N'Porter as lively enough but not too much so. C N'P is located at the top of some cliffs so the access to the beach is down either a long winding road or by a long flight of steps ( not good for youngsters or buggies but I see that your children are past that stage). Have a look at http://www.islas.co.uk/porter.htm before deciding ( and the other resort pages on the same site) .

C N'P is one of the oldest resorts on the island so some have said that it is a little tired but it has a nightclub ( in the spectacular Caves of Xuroy) and various eateries and bars so is unlikely to be dead in the evenings. One word of warning though, some of the villas there are built very close together - my friend booked what she thought was a secluded one in C N'P over the internet three years ago and found that not only was it so close to the villa next door that she could shake hands through the side windows but it was only a stones throw from a karaoke bar so she was a bit disapointed!

If you aren't sure about C N'P, as an alternative have a look at Cala Galdana which might also fit the bill but in my opinion has a far superior beach than C N'P - there are lots of villas in the Galdana area and the travel time to the resort is around half that of resorts on the Cuitadella side of the island like Cala N'Bosch or Cala N'Forcat

Edited: 24 July 2010, 16:37
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
155 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best resort for summer 2011

Thanks for your replies, really good to get some feedback. Our kids are not at the stage of venturing out at night on their own. The main thing for us is to be able to go out for a nice meal without having to drive and just have a wander about and maybe stop for a drink and then wander back to the villa so kids can have a swim.

I've decided Cala'n Porter is probably not right for us but I'm looking at Cala Blanca, Cala Galdana and Cala'n Bosch area.

Many thanks

milton keynes
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best resort for summer 2011

Just to follow up on MenorcaRegulars post.

I am aware of several places what are in fact closed as the bar etc is still up for rent. For example Porkys and a couple of shop areas.

However, this is not the better places in resort, what feature on mine and other regular posters who come to this area.

If anyone sees somewhere not open what has been recomended on this forum, please make me aware by private message.

Thanks,

Mark

milton keynes
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best resort for summer 2011

I have lived in Cala Blanca, the year I was working in Cala Bosh.

Just on your chidrens ages, i would rule it out. There is very little for the 15 and 16 year old to do in resort. The beach is nice, worth a trip to by bus if you stay in Cala Bosh.

Cala Bosh has 2 nice beachs, as well as a harber. Bus option to Cala Blanca beach (10 min walk as bus stops on main road only), and Ciutedella.

For the teenagers, The Big Apple (head towards the lighthouse, its not far form it) and the Brazil bar on the marina. The band stand area is good for night entertainment. There is a water park (not as good as Los Delphines I am told) and race karting.

Menorca Mar (to the right from the Ciutedella road, right of lighthouse but about 700 yards short of it) has entertainment during the day. (I used to work in this complex, but have no contact with anyone including owners in several years). It used to be for more your kids ages, and if your buying drinks in the bar, or food at the complex they might let them join in.

Villa means no cheap transfer option, either Hire Car from Airport or Taxi at about 80 Euro each way. If you decide to change from Villa, the Hotel Cala Bosh is good value. I offten go in as a none resident for meals and its great. They do room only, board options or all inclusive, and its located next to the beach.

uk
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best resort for summer 2011

hi

i am going to Cala N Forcat in 4 weeks time, i have had mixed reports regarding the resort. I am travelling with my partner and 16 month child. we are staying in a Villa in Cala n Forcat. is there any information relating to where to eat and what to do that may help.

thanks

milton keynes
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best resort for summer 2011

Resort info at menorca-minorca.co.uk/forcat_attractions.htm

There is a good choice of places to eat, depends on what you want, with the best being

Maxis

Gril Las Brasas

Sa Cova (on Cala Blanes Beach, close to the sea)

The following are complexs, but open to none residents.

Talyot (bar and restraunt)

Biniamar (its buffet they use for All Inclusive guests, 15 euro for none residents but includes wine, 3 course, choice of loads of things.

Bus to Ciutedella is every 30/45 min, cost 1.50 Euro.

Also, Cala Bosh is worth a visit, you will need to check bus stop for times, as in 4 weeks, might be back to only 1 trip each way per day, at 9am returning at 6pm. Peek season, they have another each way at lunchtime. Outside direct times, you can change at Ciutedella.

If you dont have transfer sorted, a taxi from the airport rank will be about 65 Euro. You can not get budget transfer to Villas, but if you post name of it and if you can, booking link I might be able to locale a nearby place you can get a budget transfer to, what would be about £25 return per person (chidren under 2 free).

If you are going to get a car, airport collection an return might be better as it removes the transfer cost

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
15,834 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best resort for summer 2011

This is for united14 - Forcat is one of those places that you either love or you don't as you will already have gathered from the reports you have read. The beauty of Menorca is that the island is not large so you are never too far from any part provided you have a car.If once you are there you want to explore are you interested in cultural stuff? If so, the island is littered with ruins dating back to the Stone Age ( Navetta Des Tudons, Torres Den Gaumes, Toralba D'En Salort, Taula De Trepuco etc.) through to military stuff from around the time of Lord Nelson ( Fort Marlborough, San Filipe, the fortress at La Mola near Mahon) .

The Zoo at Lloc De Menorca (on the main Cuitadella to Mahon road near Alaior) might be good for stopping off at with your little one on route to somewhere more interesting to adults. The major towns of Cuitadella and Mahon although very different ( Cuitadella is older whereas Mahon has a more Colonial feel) have interesting buildings, harbours with waterfront restaurants etc (Cuitadella harbour is much narrower and smaller whereas Mahon's is one of the largest/ deepest natural harbours in the world) Fornells in the North is a pretty fishing village and worth a couple of hours at least ( see our Destination Expert Jon the Dogs posts for details of good reasonably prced eateries there - some of the harbour front places are not cheap).

You should find masses of information about things on offer on the island as a whole in and around the resorts, hotel lobbies etc and in the tourist information offices in Cuitadella and Mahon. If you are wanting to go to big sandy beaches in places that have facilities for families I recommend Cala Galdana, Santo Tomas and Son Bou on the South Coast. If you don't mind driving around winding roads with steep drops to one side go up to the highest point on the island Monte Toro and there is a pretty old monastary where you can have refreshments etc. whilst admiring the view - there are great views in all directions

I am sure that you will have a good time

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best resort for summer 2011

IMHO these are the best family( ie need children activities in resort ) resorts if you are hiring a villa rather than hotel accom. Just come back so information is uptodate. Given that you have online maps like google with ariel Photos you CAN SEE this for yourself.

Firstly Menorca has fanstastic beaches,but the geography means either you get to them down a hill/steps or they are backed with protected sand dunes, so you will need to walk to access points.

notes on Cala en Porter, which perhaps needs an image reset in this site-there are a lot of private villas on offer there, some are poor others are fantastic like many places. In the last three years Alaior council who look after Cala en Porter have made a lot of investiment-CP is looking refreshed these days. It 'suffered' IMHO in the past with low priced holidaymakers( fault of Thompsons etc ) who attracted bar owners who went after this crowd-these have now gone!

There are quality restaurants in CP and you are close to some of the island's most regarded restaurants.

No / few steps to beach

Binibequer/Cala Torret,Punta Prima,Santandria, Cala en Buc/Blanes,Punta Prima,Punta Grossa(Arenal den Castell )

Steps/Hill to beach

Cala den Porter, Cala Galdana ( currently the steps down from the main villa location ( Passeig Maritim ) are closed could also be the case in 2011 :-( ) Arenal den Castell, Son Bou & Santo Tomas ( most villas are on the hillside)

uk
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best resort for summer 2011

we have a car as included in the Villa price through thomsons so that is one less thing to pay for in regards to the taxis/ buses and then at least we can go out and about around the island.

we have heard mixed reports and was just after a bit more info.

mainly with regards to wheres good to go on a night time and where to go for food.

thanks

Get answers to your questions about Cala'n Porter
Recent Conversations