We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkelling in cala'n porter

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
snorkelling in cala'n porter

can anyone tell me if the snorkelling is any good in Cala'n Porter...we're going to the Playa Azul in Sept....and could you recommend any good snorkelling bays in the surrounding areas. We've been to Cala'n Forcat which was great snorkelling and also Son Xoriguer but haven't been to the south coast. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Mentioned in this post
Cala'n Porter
Cala'n Porter
Menorca, Spain
Hotel Playa Azul
Hotel Playa Azul
1,367 Reviews
Menorca, Spain
Cala'n Forcat
Cala'n Forcat
Menorca, Spain
London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkelling in cala'n porter

From your Avatar picture are you serious snorkellers?

Anyway, Cala en Porter will be much better IMHO than Forcat (cala en Blanes ) /Son Xoriguer because in summer the water quality is better with less suncream and other tourist debris in the water(more mass tourism in those areas). The bay is magnificent and is fringed with rocks and further out caves-Its also next to Cales Coves which is a Snorkellers paradise with three seculded bays and only boat visitors.

One of the best places to snorkel is in Fornells bay as it is protected area from fishing, so sealife is very abundent

PS the south coast lanscapewise beats the west coast where you were hands down

Mentioned in this post
Blanes
Blanes
Costa Brava, Spain
Fornells
Fornells
Menorca, Spain
Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
15,271 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkelling in cala'n porter

I agree with all that MIB has said above - if you didn't get to see the south coast last time, you will find the difference between the coastline and scenery there from that around the Forcat area will blow you away. As MIB has said the top of the island is protected nature reserve so the aquatic life there is well worth seeing but even if you stay in your resort you can't fail to enjoy the sea around Cala N'Porter. Have a look at scubadviser.com/Scuba-diving-destinations/-D… for its view on the island as a whole for underwater scenery etc. Es Grau on the East coast to the north of Mahon seems to attract a lot of snorklers too and is very pretty and unspoilt but you need a car really to get there.

I know that you were asking about snorkling only but if you fancy going that bit deeper there are several diving schools etc.on the south coast that do scuba diving - one that I remember the name of is S'Algar diving ( see salgardiving.com/index.php… ). Here is a link to snorkling thread on this forum a year or so back tripadvisor.co.uk/…34326366 and if you use the forum search engine you will probably find lots more

Edited: 29 January 2012, 12:58
Mentioned in this post
Es Grau
Es Grau
312 Reviews
Menorca, Spain
Mahon
Mahon
Menorca, Spain
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkelling in cala'n porter

Thank you for the helpful information, my husband is a qualified diver so will no doubt be looking at your links whilst I prefer snorkelling.

I had checked out cales coves on google earth and thought that looked very promising and very beautiful.

We only discovered Menorca about 3 years ago and I think it's one of the most beautiful places I've been to, I can't wait to go now after your descriptions of the south coast. We'll be hiring a car so will travel further afield too.

Thanks again x

Mentioned in this post
Menorca
Menorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkelling in cala'n porter

have to agree with the south coast comments.

my brother is into the underwater stuff and he is impressed with the waters,though the pool is more my thing.

mymenorca.info/menorca-seeanddo/diving.php

has quite a few diver centres listed.I think there is a dive shop in Alaior just inland from cp and I've seen divers in the bay from my friends' balcony on Sunday mornings as its aparently a place where they do training

A car will show you so much, so recommend it.

Edited: 29 January 2012, 22:29
Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
15,271 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkelling in cala'n porter

I thoroughly agree about the island being beautiful -it has so much heirtage both recent and ancient, in fact the island was awarded a U.N.E.S.C.O. Biosphere Reserve status so they are very careful to retain tight control on areas of natural importance. It is a shame really that this is not explained more to tourists who for whatever reason are not able to explore too much independently.

If you have a car you will undoubtedly be able to see things way off the basic tourist tour list - the only limitation will be watching out to avoid unisured damage to the undercarriage on your hire car as some of the roads to the very remote beaches are a bit iffy. The road to Es Grau is fine though and as the village is on the edge of the S'Albufera nature reserve it is lovely to visit ( no beach bars but plenty of sand and scenery) and you could even combine it with a trip up to Fornells.

. There is a nature museum in Ferrerias ( El Centro de Natura ) if you are interested in that sort of thing and if you don't mind winding roads in an upward direction, if you drive up to the top of Monte Toro you can see Mallorca on a good day .

If you haven't already seen the site, have a look at www.visitmenorca.com/default.asp?lang=EN

Mentioned in this post
Es Grau
Es Grau
312 Reviews
Menorca, Spain
Monte Toro
Monte Toro
781 Reviews
Menorca, Spain
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkelling in cala'n porter

We intend to explore more of the island, we love the historical sites. A couple of years ago we happened on the necropolis at cala morrell which was fascinating and I'm sure there must be many more places like this which aren't really promoted very well. I have bought a couple of books this time as we found we couldn't get very much information last time we visited.

one thing I don't do though is 'winding roads in a upwards direction' as I'm terrified of heights so I'll have to give that one a miss unfortunately.

If there are any more places of interest please let me know. We spend most of our time in the water but do like to see the sights as well which is why we love Menorca....absolutely hate touristy shops and lager louts

Mentioned in this post
Menorca
Menorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: snorkelling in cala'n porter

".. on the edge of the S'Albufera nature reserve it is lovely to visit ( no beach bars but plenty of sand and scenery) "

just in case you read that as I did- Es Grau actually has three BarRestaurants, one on the beach and 1 restaurant- which makes it a great place to end up in after a walk,day in waters or on beach there.

...best guides tend to be the online ones as they have more pictures.

There are 5 major prehistoric sites within 10m drive of CP alone.

PS The road up Monte Torre is pretty tame these days.

Mentioned in this post
Es Grau
Es Grau
312 Reviews
Menorca, Spain
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: snorkelling in cala'n porter

have just checked out Es Grau online and we'll definitely be going there...it looks fabulous...thank you

Mentioned in this post
Es Grau
Es Grau
312 Reviews
Menorca, Spain
Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
15,271 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: snorkelling in cala'n porter

Sorry, by "beach bars" I meant places on the sand frequented by types who would find Es Grau seriously dull - as MIB says there is a bar/restaurant at the edge of the beach at the villiage end of the beach!

Mentioned in this post
Es Grau
Es Grau
312 Reviews
Menorca, Spain
10. Re: snorkelling in cala'n porter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2013, 10:26
Get answers to your questions about Cala'n Porter
Recent Conversations