We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

steps to the beach

London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
steps to the beach

I'm thinking of taking my wife and 2 year old to Cala n porter this year but have concerns about the steps down to the beach . Are they really as bad as some are saying and how much of a chore is it to take the road down ?

Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: steps to the beach

From memory, there were 193 steps down to the beach. I believe since I was working there, that the steps have had some work done to them. The number may have increased or decreased slightly, but will be around the same. Its not a straight staircase, it winds and twists down the side of the cliff and it did have a bannister, but anyone with a young child would do well to carry them down, while someone else carries the bags and or buggy. To take the road is not really all that bad going down, it will take longer but may well be safer. It is the return up the hill that really puts me off. The hill is really quite steep.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,080 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: steps to the beach

MenorcaIslandboy or Carolina will fill you in on how easy the steps now are for people with buggys etc. but I know that the steps definately go down in a zig zag fashion in order to make them easier to use.

Try looking at google earth imges of the resort to see what you think

Falkirk, United...
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Cala'n Porter
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: steps to the beach

The steps are a bit of an adventure, a two year old couldn't manage them. Some steps are deeper than others and there are a couple of places to rest. The road is quite steep & the pavement is narrow in places & it takes twice as long as the steps.

I'm an old lady & a smoker & I don't quite run up & down but they've not beaten me yet.

Carol

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: steps to the beach

thanks for the reply, great tips especially the tip about looking on google earth! Hasn't put us off really, although does anyone have a preference between Cala n Porter or Punta Prima?

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: steps to the beach

You cannot have such a great beach location/setting without the steps . Most stories are greatly exaggerated/wrong and from those who used them in the heat of the august day.

PP and CP are very different - PP is more about Hotels and packages and not as attractive as CP

Menorca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Menorca
Level Contributor
645 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: steps to the beach

The steps are alright coming down, it´s the going up with a tired 2 year old that is the pain in the bum! My suggestion, walk down the steps or push baby in buggy down hill, then if baby is really tired (of you for that matter!) then call for a cab back, Juan and sharon (local taxi firm) will run you back to the hotel for a fiver.

london
Level Contributor
175 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: steps to the beach

i'd agree with menorcaislandboy that cala'n porter is a lot better than punta prima. also agree with raff that the steps down aren't too bad but after a long day in the sun the fiver for a cab will be the best money you'll ever spend

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: steps to the beach

Totally agree if need arises that cab is good value ( it was is cheaper than using the little 'train' that no longers runs and door to door) you need to note down the tel no at the taxi rank next to Sa Paissa restaurant

9. Re: steps to the beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 08:17
Get answers to your questions about Cala'n Porter
Recent Conversations