We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

supermarkets and independent shops

Which Cala'n Porter hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
aberdeen
Level Contributor
365 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
supermarkets and independent shops

Travelling to Menorca for the 1st time in May and staying in a villa in Cala Porter with a car for the duration. ~Really looking forward to it as the more I find out about Menorca the more ideal it sounds.

I found this information on tripadvisor saying that there are 3 supermarkets in Cala N Porter and cheaper prices and butchers, delicatessan to be found in Sant Climent.

We always like to use the local butcher, grocers, bakery when away and wondered if the info I found from last year is still correct? Do the supermarkets have a good fish counter or is there a fish monger in the area? Fresh bread and pastries - can anyone recommend where to get in Cala n Porter? Fruit and veg - supermarket or is there a green grocer?

I was wondering if the various markets that are on are locals food markets or tourist markets? Is it the same sort of market at each venue?

Welwyn, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: supermarkets and independent shops

The supermarkets are ok for most things and they do fresh bread and a variety of fresh fruit and veg. They do have fresh meats but I don't recall ever seeing a butchers counter in any of them. The spar has the best choice of most things but doesn't stock the English milk ( cravendale) whereas the other 2 do. The best butchers is indeed in sant climent. Hope this helps

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: supermarkets and independent shops

There is a bakery in Sant Climent. The 2 best supermarkets are both very close to the airport but turning just right a short way in opposite direction to CP. They are Binipreu and Mercadona both of which have fresh fish and butchery counters. The market in the Esplanada in Mahon is not a food market but there is a daily food market and separate fish market which are well worth visiting. I can see no point in purchasing 'english' milk. The islanders are justifiably proud of their local milk Coinga. In fact many items sold with names that are familiar to Brits are such as Kelloggs, Heinz etc are made under licence and their composition and taste is not identical. Unless you absolutely have to have a name you know I would go with the cheaper local version, for example Ybarra mayonnaise - I don't believe you can buy better.

Welwyn, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: supermarkets and independent shops

Hey I wasn't saying the milk is bad it's just too creamy for me. I don't go looking for English products just the milk!

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: supermarkets and independent shops

Very happy for you to have what you like Daisy-do! Just suggesting how you can save money. I mostly drink President Lactose free but that's another matter!

aberdeen
Level Contributor
365 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: supermarkets and independent shops

Thanks for the advice.

Can you tell me where the food and fish market is in Mahon and is it open all day?

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
14 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: supermarkets and independent shops

The fruit and veg market is located next to the cathedral in Mahon and is open every week day and Saturday mornings. There is also a butcher there and cheese is also available. The fish market is just down the hill from this market but closes earlier than the fruit market.

7. Re: supermarkets and independent shops

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Cala'n Porter
Recent Conversations