We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarkets?

Which Frigate Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Brunswick, New...
4 posts
Save Topic
Supermarkets?

We are thinking about staying in the Marriott Timeshare and we like to cook in the villa. We have never been to St. Kitts, and I'd like to know if there are supermarkets around to do food shopping

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,851 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Supermarkets?

Yes, there are several groceriy stores where you can shop. Ram's has a small sattelite store just down the road from the Mariott and their main store is in Basseterre. IMO, the best "suoermarket" is the IGA Super Value Store in Horsford Plaza (not too far from the airport and about a 10 minute drive from the Marriott). You also have Best Buy which is on the outskirts of Basseterre on the main island road leading toward the Medical School and Brimstone Hill (15 minutes or so from the Marriott).

East Brunswick, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Supermarkets?

Thanks so much for your reply. I would really like to go there, but was concerned about the expense. You made my day. Thank you

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
856 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Supermarkets?

There is a Rams on the Bird Rock Road on the way into Basseterre from Frigate Bay (turn left just before the Sol gas station) ... there is also a Scotia Bank on site. No need to go into town for your groceries. What I did this year and last was to go to both IGA and Rams - it's quite easy to hit up Rams on your way either to or from the IGA (if returning on the main road after you have done IGA, then turn right, not left at the Sol Station.)

East Brunswick, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Supermarkets?

Thanks for the info.

St. Kitts
Level Contributor
407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Supermarkets?

I agree with msjilly. Go to both Rams and the IGA as you will find somethings at one, but not at the other. I do NOT suggest you go to the Rams in town as it is not very clean and the Rams in Bird Rock is much, much nicer.

East Brunswick, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Supermarkets?

Thank you for your help. Did you like St. Kitts? We have never been there.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Supermarkets?

I too agree with MissJilly and Shiggidy....hit both Rams and IGA - when we stay in St.Kitts we go to both as they both offer some different items...when you use both you can really have pretty much anything you might think of.

St.Kitts is a wonderful island with wonderful people....of the many (like 13, 14 or something) islands I have been to St.Kitts shares top spot on my list with only one other island.

It is mountainous, interesting and has lots of things to do and places to go and see and learn - enjoy you wont be disappointed!

Hockessin,DE
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Supermarkets?

We just got back this past Sunday. Our taxi driver took us to IGA and waited for us while we shopped. It was an extra $5 charge to him to wait.

At home I always shop at the typical "mega" grocery stores. When I first walked in to the IGA in St. Kitts, I was not quite sure what I was in for. But then I realized how much fun it was to try something different, and we had a great time shopping. We got what we needed and improvised for what they didn't have.

When it was time to check out, we emptied our cart and proceeded to push the cart through the line to put the groceries in....just like at home. The cashiers started telling us "no no you can't bring that through". I didn't know what to do until a worker took our cart for us. Turns out that they bag the groceries, and then put them in a special cart which they take to your car. Then they load your car for you. That was service with a smile!! Wish I had that at home!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,283 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Supermarkets?

Yes, St. Kitts is civilized - they have supermarkets. The selection of foods will be just like you have "at home" but there will be a great variety of foods, sauces and condiments you've probably never heard of before. The Kittitians will be happy to discuss recipes and how to use Green sauce, Creole sauce, Jerk, Katyap, Chayote or Genips. Don't forgo shopping at the Vegetable Market downtown at the wharf for local grown goods. The locally grown produce is fresher and cheaper than the shipped in food at the supermarkets. Try some regional "spinach". You will probably want to take things back with you. Try a locally raised and butchered pork chop. It will have a subtle ham flavor - nothing like the processed North American chops. You can get processed and frozen chicken from Arkansas or fresh local hens. There is a difference.

10. Re: Supermarkets?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2010, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Frigate Bay