We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk to Shipwreck bar from the Marriott?

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
43 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Walk to Shipwreck bar from the Marriott?

Can anyone tell me how long the walk is? It sounds like the kind of place where we're going to want to hang out. Thanks!

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
308 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walk to Shipwreck bar from the Marriott?

I love Shipwreck Beach Bar on beautiful South Friars Beach! The food, drinks and view are amazing. Staff are friendly too.

You have to walk up Timothy Hill (which is pretty steep and can be a challenge if not in good shape).

Should take about 20 minutes to get there from The Marriott, depending on how fast you walk.

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
43 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walk to Shipwreck bar from the Marriott?

Thanks for responding. Sounds very do-able. Thanks.

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
43 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walk to Shipwreck bar from the Marriott?

I guess I should have also asked how much a cab would cost, in case we're not feeling like getting a work out. ;) Thanks agian.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,110 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walk to Shipwreck bar from the Marriott?

One way taxi fare from Marriott to Shipwreck Bar (South Friars Beach) is $12US for 1 to 4 people. If you have 5 or more in your party you'll pay a per person are of $3US each way.

As the previous responder said - you'll have to traverse a very steep hill to get to/from Shipwreck and there are no sidewalks. It's probably more like a 30 minute walk and, by the way, the grade is steeper on the far side of the hill then on the Marriott side. It can be a tough walk, especially late morning to late afternoon when the sun is at its strongest - prepare to sweat so bring water to re-hydrate if you decide to walk. If I were you I'd take a cab.

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
43 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walk to Shipwreck bar from the Marriott?

Good to know. Cab, it is. Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
856 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walk to Shipwreck bar from the Marriott?

I think it is a pretty strenuous walk, depending on your fitness level. Might not be worth the effort, especially as the weather can be very deceiving. What seems like a cooler day will still not protect you from the strong rays of the sun, especial if you do the walk around midday. There is also "traffic" to watch out for. No sidewalks, deep grades like ditches along sides of the road in many places, rock falls and potholes are not limited to the middle of the roads ... Oh and lots of fast drivers rounding those mountain curves.

I would take a taxi for the first round trip, and judge your tolerance after. Of course if you are super athletic and not sun-sensitive ...

It does make for a wonderful workout if you do the walk really early in the morning. But, then you won't find anything open along S. Friars Bay.

Edited: 17 December 2013, 14:01
Redwood City...
Level Contributor
43 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walk to Shipwreck bar from the Marriott?

Thanks for everyone's input. I forgot to take the sun into consideration. Early morning workout, walk the hill, afternoon happy hour, cab it. Leaving on Fri. for a week. Can't wait to feel the sand in my toes!!!

Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walk to Shipwreck bar from the Marriott?

Long walk over a large hill. Take a cab....

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
739 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walk to Shipwreck bar from the Marriott?

Just curious, from the map it looks like you can walk the beach part way, then walk the road. And I'm guessing when you are talking about Timothy hill, you mean Timothy beach resort at the far end of Frigate. Is that right? I've been having a tough time getting a good detailed map of the island. So I've been relying on google maps.

Thanks

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
739 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walk to Shipwreck bar from the Marriott?

Sorry I just realized I've been confusing frigate and friars beaches. Frigate looks fairly close but Friars looks pretty far and on a windy road. I'd love to walk 10 miles a day but I don't know the roads and I've been having a tough time getting a good detailed map of the island. So I've been relying on google maps. Any good walking advice or map advice?

Thanks

Get answers to your questions about Frigate Bay