We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking and Wi-Fi in El Castillo.

Ellijay, Georgia
Level Contributor
14 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking and Wi-Fi in El Castillo.

I plan on taking guided trips to Indio Maiz Preserve while staying in El Castillo, but can you hike any places directly from town without guide or boat?

Is there public Wi-Fi available in any restaurants etc.?

8 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
31 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking and Wi-Fi in El Castillo.

Great questions, we}re heading there too in 4 days. If anyone could share how expensive guides / tours to Indio Maiz are, or kayaking trips, that would be super helpful. From what I saw in guidebooks, this can be quite pricey, so I'm trying to plan a bit ahead. Thanks so much!

Nicaragua/Norway
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking and Wi-Fi in El Castillo.

San Carlos El Castillo Indio Maiz San Juan del Nicaragua.

At the moment in Arenal,CR planning boardercrossing near San Carlos and trip down river. Any advices, comments ?

Nicaragua/Norway
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking and Wi-Fi in El Castillo.

Anyone with experiences boardercrossing CR - Nica south of San Carlos ?

Please, any advices apreciated. urgently, por favor.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
31 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking and Wi-Fi in El Castillo.

I didn't do the crossing, but many people from my boat from Ometepe to San Carlos did, and there seem to be a couple of boats to Los Chiles every day. Did you check the LP forum for any info? There are frequent boats from SC to El Castillo and the trip takes abt 3h. If you want to continue all the way down the river though, I think there are just 2 boats a week that go to San Juan del Norte.

RE: internet and hikes in El Castillo:

No wireless or internet anywhere except staff computer at Hotel Victoria (as of Jan 2012). Their guests can use it and if you ask nicely, they may let you quickly check your email, too. But if you expect to need internet a lot, get things done before you come to El Castillo.

6h hike & boat tour to Indio Maiz in a group of 6ppl was under $20 per head. Great experience, and you can go kayaking or horseback riding, too. Hikes can be arranged the day before or even day of, although it may cost you more if there are no other folks going. A few places in the village offer tours; they're not difficult to find (the place is tiny). I uploaded some pictures of the boat ride from SC to El Castillo, the village itself, and the trip to Indio Maiz at https:/…RioSanJuanNIC .

I don't think there are any hikes you can do independently from the village; it can only be reached by boat (no cars! awesome!) and there don't seem to be any hiking trails originating in El Castillo. Indio Maiz is quite a treat though - very few tourists and a lot to see.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
358 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking and Wi-Fi in El Castillo.

We recently crossed over from Los Chiles into Nicaragua and it was pretty easy. You can get the boat at the dock in San Carlos after going through immigration which is right where the boat leaves.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
157 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking and Wi-Fi in El Castillo.

fantastic photos. Thanks!

El Castillo...
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking and Wi-Fi in El Castillo.

There is no Wi-Fi in El Castillo, you may ask for an internet cafe. Reserva Silvestre privada Montecristo has trail for hiking and are free to use if you have lunch at the Restaurante Montecristo.

Florida City...
Level Contributor
45 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking and Wi-Fi in El Castillo.

Just back from Río San Juan. If looking for decent lodgings in El Castillo, try Hotel Luna del Rio. Brand new with real hot water and Two rooms with balcony over looking Rio not too far to the left of boat launch. English speaking Spanish owner and Nicaraguan husband, lovely people. Good breakfast. Left San Carlos for Los Chiles. We were lucky we queued up at 0730 h at immigration office and got on the first boat that left at 0930 h and made it to Liberia airport in time for 1545h departure. 2300 cordobas. Others who joined the queue at 0800 h probably got on the next boat that pulled up after we left.

Reply to: Hiking and Wi-Fi in El Castillo.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about El Castillo