We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B in a Farmhouse

Jungfrauregion...
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
B&B in a Farmhouse

Is it possible to stay on a farm??

5 replies to this topic
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,600 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B in a Farmhouse

Not sure, and it depends whether you want B&B or self catering, but try this site http://www.isleofbarra.com/index.htm

Jungfrauregion...
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B in a Farmhouse

@ Dhmellor

Thanks for the link. I was on that site before, today I searched for anything to identify a farm again, without success.. On one fotos of this homepage (barra-vatersay-accommodation.co.uk/views.htm) are cows, so there MUST be farms ;-) I'll keep trying!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,600 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B in a Farmhouse

Ha! We have stayed at Tigh Sanna, the place on that picture. It's a tiny self-catering cottage, really only suitable for two people, and it's absolutely wonderful!

The cattle in the picture probably belong to a local crofter, who may just graze them there over the summer and then send them off to market. Crofts are a kind of smallholding, common in the highlands and islands of Scotland. Crofters generally have grazing rights on land known as 'common grazings' - it's not really farming. You may well find that if you stay at a B&B, it's on a croft, however.

Jungfrauregion...
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B in a Farmhouse

Incredible that you know this place :-) We say, the world is small..

Your information is very interresting. So I could work as a crofter near the shore and sandy beaches for a chance instead of looking after the cattle on an "Alp" high up in the mountains :-) Now I definitely want to visit this region!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,600 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: B&B in a Farmhouse

Exactly. The crofters' common grazings are the Scottish equivalent of the high Alpine Alm - but without the cowbells!

Reply to: B&B in a Farmhouse
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Barra
Recent Conversations