We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling in June

Which Treasure Cay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, North...
5 posts
Save Topic
Traveling in June

My family (wife and 2 kids) and I are looking to head down to Treasure Cay and rent a house for about 8 days. This is our first trip to the Bahamas. I was trying to get an idea of things to do and typical weather for this type of year. Will we be stuck inside the whole time due to rain and will we be able to find things to keep us busy (boating, snorkeling, etc).

College Station...
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling in June

It will be hot, it will be humid, and it will occasionally rain.

Don't let that hold you back, the south/southwest wind typical for June brings warm, calm water that you will enjoy spending time in and on. No tropical storms are on the horizon, so the occasional thunderstorms are just an excuse to relax and enjoy a beverage.

It's already June, are you traveling June 2012, or 2013?

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,208 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling in June

Although others here say rain is hard

to predict, from a climate standpoint,

June is in the rainy season in the

Bahamas. This season runs from

around May 22 thru the end of October.

The humidity is very high during this

time. With all that moisture there is

a good chance of a daily downpour

lasting from minutes to hours. In

addition, tropical storms during the

hurricane season from June thru

November bring more rain. Average

rainfall in the Bahamas in June is

over 9 inches making June the

wettest month in the Bahamas.

Charlotte, North...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling in June

Thanks for the heads up. We decided to go ahead and plan the trip for this June and just wish for the best. I had a few other questions as well.

1. Is a golf cart rental necessary to commute around Treasure Cay?

2. How much should I expect to spend on alcohol at the local store. I saw somewhere online that it was a ridiculous amount so I was curious as to if i should stuff the luggage to save some money.

Thanks

Will

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,403 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling in June

Not sure about Treasure Cay but on Guana last week we bought Ricardo Gold rum for $12 a bottle. Bacardi was about double that. Prices might be a bit cheaper in the TC area since it's not an island where goods have to be ferried over.

We had great weather. It was sunny, hot and humid. There were a couple of storms overnight. Again, it was hot but the water was so nice and refreshing. Only had 1 overcast day but we were still out in the water snorkeling. I would say we used the AC in the house about 60% of the time. We had a golf cart but never got too hot when driving around. When we left yesterday there was a stiff wind on the Sea of Abaco. Boats were having a hard time docking at the marina.

Edited: 06 June 2012, 18:05
Great Abaco Island
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling in June

If you're within walking distance of the little strip mall at TC (next to TC resort and marina) and aren't planning to play golf, then a cart isn't necessary. If you want to leave TC then you'll need to rent a car, and it doesn't cost much more than the cart.

The strip mall has a decent grocery store, a very good bakery, and Bristol Liquors. Bacardi Gold is about 17.00 for a 1.75 Liter at Bristol, so don't put a bottle of that in your luggage.

You can snorkel off TC beach, but only the point at the South end of the beach has anything to see while you're snorkelling.

The rainy season started the third week of May this year, but some days were just passing showers instead of all day rain. If it rains all day, it's pretty boring.

Luck, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling in June

Spend a day in Marsh Harbor & check out Abaco Beach Resort & Marina, TC beach is good, marina area there is fun, ferry to Green Turtle one day - there is a lot to do. We head that way by boat on june 29 & return July 13!

Luck, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling in June

Spend a day in Marsh Harbor & check out Abaco Beach Resort & Marina, TC beach is good, marina area there is fun, ferry to Green Turtle one day - there is a lot to do. We head that way by boat on june 29 & return July 13!

Charlotte, North...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling in June

Great. I appreciate all the replies. I think we might skip the golf cart and just rent a boat an extra day or two. We have grown up on boats and plan to explore Abaco that way. We did the same thing in Key West last summer and found that to be the best way to see things most never get to. If there is anything else you think I should know or any good insider info or places to go feel free to post. We will be arriving 6/25. Hope the rain stays away.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
29 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling in June

Bristols has a web site with prices bristolsbahamas dot com. Wine and spirit prices are really good, beer is expensive

Salem, Oregon
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling in June

Great questions and great replies! We too are traveling to Treasure Cay for the first time at the end of June and weren't sure what to expect either. We've got 3 kids, are renting a boat, and went to the Keys two summers ago! I'm hoping for little rain as well. Safe travels and please post your experience when you get back - it will be interesting to compare!

Get answers to your questions about Treasure Cay
Recent Conversations
More Treasure Cay Topics