We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SIM card or type of cell phone use

Peoria, IL
Level Contributor
563 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
SIM card or type of cell phone use

I have an unlocked cell phone I use for out of country trips but have no idea where I can purchase a SIM card to use in it or if a Verizon cell would work? I'm not a cell phone junky but need availability to be reached from home if needed.

Thanks so much for your input!

North Fort Myers...
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SIM card or type of cell phone use

Our Verizon service doesn't work anywhere in the Abacos. We have an older unlocked global phone from Verizon (a Samsung Renown) that we've used with a BTC sim card, and purchased minutes, for the last few years. This year we added a Samsung Galaxy S4 with a cut down sim card. We seem to have more trouble getting a good signal with it, but if you're near a tower it works well. There should be a BTC store right in the little shopping plaza at Treasure Cay. If they can't get your existing phone working (it needs to be GSM capable and not just CDMA which Verizon uses) you can buy an entry level phone there.

Peoria, IL
Level Contributor
563 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SIM card or type of cell phone use

SWFLAOK,

Good to know about the Verizon. I do have a Kyocera unlocked phone that I bought on eBay 5 yrs. ago.

I've purchased SIM cards for it in the Exumas, Turks & Caicos and Grand Caymans which worked well. Not sure if it's GSM capable but assuming it is. If not, glad to know I can buy one at the shopping plaza.

You've been a lot of help and really appreciated!

North Fort Myers...
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SIM card or type of cell phone use

The SIM card we bought in the Abacos worked in Harbour Island, Nassau, the Exumas and Bimini so if your phone worked with a SIM card in the Exumas, I'd expect it to work with a SIM card from Treasure Cay. Have a great trip.

Long Island
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: SIM card or type of cell phone use

If you buy the SIM card through BTC it will work anywhere in the Bahamas with cell service, as long as it's a GSM phone. I bought mine in little business office in the old domestic terminal in Nassau several years ago. Not sure if it was moved into the new terminal, but I have to think that there would be someplace there to buy one.

Edited: 02 January 2014, 17:01
Peoria, IL
Level Contributor
563 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SIM card or type of cell phone use

Thanks for the additional information and good trip wishes! Can't wait----temps here on Monday -3!

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SIM card or type of cell phone use

To use a Batelco sim, your phone must be UNLOCKED and GSM with 1900 mhz frequency.

Verizon is CDMA.. not GSM

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SIM card or type of cell phone use

There is a cell store/kiosk in the new domestic terminal at NAS that sells sim cards as well. Only useful if you're traveling to another island as it is beyond the security checkpoint.

Edited: 02 January 2014, 19:47
here and there
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SIM card or type of cell phone use

jungle.... can you tell me where this cell store is?? I haven't been able to find it.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SIM card or type of cell phone use

It's just a little kiosk out in the open. There are four of them right near where the waiting area is. It's next to the sunglass/hat kiosk. There were phones on display and I asked the young man working it if they sold sim cards and he said yes. This was in early November.

here and there
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SIM card or type of cell phone use

that would be in the departure lounge?? right.

So those coming into NAS can't access it?

I ask because last time I flew into nassau (in the new airport).. we asked about getting minutes for my son's btc sim and was told they didn't handle them anymore.

Get answers to your questions about Treasure Cay
More Treasure Cay Topics