We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Right Restarant??

Which Chaweng hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
The Right Restarant??

Will be spending a special anniversary on Koh Samui, staying in Chaweng on would like to know information on any Restuarants for a special night. Cost is not a problem as long as it's good food and pleasant ambience, maybe even a view?. Have read about "Charming" but are there any other suggestions

regards

Dooveelaker

Perth WA
Level Contributor
36 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Right Restarant??

We have been to The Cliff twice before and had great food although its not the cheapest eats. It is on the road to Lamai, south of Chaweng and not surprisingly on a cliff. The view is across a bay if you get there early enough to see it, but it is lit up down the rocks when it gets dark. They have a bar as well so you can have a drink while its light or after dinner if you want to linger on. We took a taxi from Chaweng and there were taxis waiting to bring diners back after dinner. It has been 6 mths since we went but you needed to make a booking to get a balcony seat and if its still there you will see plenty of advertising about it. You can pick up the local restaurant guide in Samui and it will give you a good run down on prices and type of foods on offer. Good hunting.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Right Restarant??

In Chaweng I would recommend you try Poppies. Make sure you reserve a table either front line on the beach or, if there is entertainment, or might be rain, on the corner of the lovely Thai undercover area. The Library's restaurant The Page is a really cool option in Chaweng with fabulous night beach view. 300 bahts in a taxi each way would take you to Zazen in Bophut which has the best food on the island (imho) but reserve and ask for a front line table here too. A similar taxi drive would take you to the eye wateringly expensive Dining on the Rocks which if you get good weather (even better on the night of the full moon) is a delight. The Cliff can be lovely but the food and service are hit and miss in my experience.

UK
Level Contributor
784 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Right Restarant??

What sort of prices can you expect to pay at Zazen and The Cliff?

Ko Samui, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Right Restarant??

Very hard question to answer. If you have wine it cranks things up and if you stay on Thai food it is far cheaper than if you have a lobster or a tenderloin. You could eat for £20 (or less!) but if you push the boat out £100 - the nice thing about restaurants here is that you never really need to worry greatly (with a couple of exceptions!) about your bill as prices range and as mentioned your wine bill is material.

UK
Level Contributor
784 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Right Restarant??

Thanks for that, I presume that means £20 per person?

better warn me the ones to worry about though!

Ko Samui, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Right Restarant??

No I meant per couple - if you have a Thai main dish and a beer it is cheap but you get the benefit of the location. The fine dining options in the upscale resorts are the only places that can be pricy on the island - e.g. Dining on the Rocks in the Six Senses Hideaway.

UK
Level Contributor
784 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Right Restarant??

Ah thank you, won't be going there. My idea of heaven is a good thai place very close or on the beach! last year we went to Khao lak and ate at the amzing boatyeard most of the time, brilliant Thai food in the most lovely quiet location!

Roll on Friday, well saturday evening by the time we get to the hotel!

8. Re: The Right Restarant??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2010, 07:19