We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there tuktuks in Ko Samui?

Which Chaweng hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland NZ
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Are there tuktuks in Ko Samui?

I have used them in Phuket and wonder if they are available on Ko Samui

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there tuktuks in Ko Samui?

No there are not. You are able to take air-conditioned taxis - at silly rates,just like the Phuket tuk-tuks.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,758 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there tuktuks in Ko Samui?

Hi

As previous, no tuktuks, plenty of taxis, but the best form of transport is the Song-theaw (song-tell), the 2 benched utes / pickups that ply for trade everywhere for 20-100thb. Just wave them down, ask how much to xxxxxx agree a price and in you hop, they stop when you get to xxxxx. Great fun, get to chat to other travellers!

Camas, Washington
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there tuktuks in Ko Samui?

i disagree, there are tons of tuktuks there, they come in the form of a truck with 2 benches for seating, very similar to those in phuket. sometimes you share with other passengers heading the same direction.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,746 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there tuktuks in Ko Samui?

mimijj, you're confusing tuktuks and songthaews, which the previous poster described.

A tuktuk is a 3-wheeled motorcycle rickshaw, or on some islands a motorcycle with a passenger contraption on it. Fare is negotiable.

A songthaew is a pickup truck with two benches in the back which comprises public transportation in much of Thailand. There's no need to bargain - prices are set, usually 10 to 40 baht. Just hop on, push the buzzer when you want off, and pay the driver. If you're unsure how much to pay, just ask the other people in the songthaew or query your hotel desk in advance. This will avoid you being quoted a "farang price."

On Samui, Chaweng is the songthaew hub. You have to change there to travel further afield.

Camas, Washington
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there tuktuks in Ko Samui?

thanks for the clarification regarding the offical name. but i'm not confused, i know tuktuks are supposed to be the smaller ones like in bangkok. the original poster was looking for "tuktuks" like those in phuket, hence my answer. they are offically called songthaews, but refered to by some as tuktuks. either way, the main means of local transportation.

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there tuktuks in Ko Samui?

You can read more about public transport in this TA traveler article:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293918-s303/Koh-Samu…

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are there tuktuks in Ko Samui?

Samui has songthaews, no tuk-tuks.

8. Re: Are there tuktuks in Ko Samui?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2010, 05:17