We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timmy's Masschneider Tailor, Chaweng Beach, Koh Samui

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Topic
Timmy's Masschneider Tailor, Chaweng Beach, Koh Samui

Was in Koh Samui in May 2010 and stopped in at Timmy's to check out his selection. Walked out with a beautiful cashmere suit with 3 shirts for 12,000 Baht. Timmy is excellent and doesn't resort to badgering you outside his shop to come in and buy something(with his reputation he doesn't have to). I arrived Monday night, got measured, came back Wednesday for an additional fitting and the suit was dropped off at my hotel the next morning. I was definitely impressed with his professionalism and quality of material. I enthusiastically recommend his services!

Canberra ACT
Level Contributor
235 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timmy's Masschneider Tailor, Chaweng Beach, Koh Samui

Good to see you got a good deal and were happy with the purchase- Its always helpful to get this feedback and 12,000 baht seems like a fair deal. However, I would be surprised if it was quality cashmere for the price. More likely to be a wool blend with a dash of cashmere which is very expensive for the real Mc Coy.

liverpool
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timmy's Masschneider Tailor, Chaweng Beach, Koh Samui

I think you paid through the nose for that fella either that or Timmy is paying you.......

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
4,033 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timmy's Masschneider Tailor, Chaweng Beach, Koh Samui

Agree that is expensive. Timmy does not rip people off or pay people to rouse up business. I'd say that is real cashmere for sure, which would explain the price.

Scotland
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Timmy's Masschneider Tailor, Chaweng Beach, Koh Samui

My husband and I visited Timmy's other shop in Koh Samui, and we were extremely happy with the service. The quality was excellent, and the price was very reasonable (when comparing what you pay for shop bought items in the UK, never mind what the cost is to have something made to measure). I have no idea if he is cheap or expensive, but because we were not hassled to go into the shop day after day, it was extremely appealing! The turnaround was very quick also (a few days) and the items were all delivered to the hotel. I would very much recommend these stores. So much so, we have made sure Timmy's has our measurements so they can make more and ship it back to the UK for us!

liverpool
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Timmy's Masschneider Tailor, Chaweng Beach, Koh Samui

Right, I went to Timmys bought three gorgeous suits and six shirts, there is no haggling on price they tell you that from the off but there is also no hassle whatsoever.

Ash is a great lad to deal with and I am delighted with the end results, I would recommend their service without reservation

Brisbane
Level Contributor
10 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Timmy's Masschneider Tailor, Chaweng Beach, Koh Samui

Well I took everyone's advice and tried Timmy's and was yet again disappointed with a Samui tailor. Timmy is very abrupt. I took photos and detailed description of 2 ladies blouses I wanted made. (wanted 2 of each blouse). Timmy suggested I get one done and if alterations were needed they would do them on the others. Another man fitted the first blouse. It was too long and I said the others needed to be shorter by a few inches. The other 3 came back, 1 shorter by 2" but the others longer by about 4" than the first! I said the blouses were supposed to be fitted but the guy fitting me was reluctant to make it more close fitting (it just needed to have the darts taken in). Two of the blouses had french cuffs. Normally french cuffs you can button but mine came back that I need to wear cuff links with them! Timmy's maybe great for men's suits and shirts but not happy with ladies fashions not even a simple blouse (which looked more like a men's shirt). Also I think he is pretty expensive. Some of the photos I took with me I didn't get because it was cheaper to buy back home off the rack (and would fit better).

Alesund, Norway
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Timmy's Masschneider Tailor, Chaweng Beach, Koh Samui

My first visit to a tailor, and it was to Timmy's Masschneider. I had a little hard time finding it at first, but there it was, approx 200 meters after the one-way street had ended. It took 4 days to make a complete suit with vest and 3 shirts, and I were sick in my bed 1 of the days. It came to a price of merely 11000 ,- and it was wicked nice:) It's hard to compare tailors if you've only been to one, but this one made me feel welcome and the service was flawless.

There was one thing however, if you want the inside color on your vest/jacket to be another color, you have to say it the first day, the same with initials in the back. If you don't mention the color on the inside of the suit, he'll just pick a classical color, which often is the best. This man knows what he is doing, and you'll be satisfied as long as you tell him exactly what you don't like, so he can fix it asap:)

For 11 000 baht ( approx 2200 NOK) i got a full cashmere suit with vest and 3cotton shirts with initials on the sleeves. The suit and vest was a totalt of 8000baht, without the vest it would've become 5000bath just for the suit.

Cheers from Norway!

Ålesund
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Timmy's Masschneider Tailor, Chaweng Beach, Koh Samui

I second Thor Strand, im the other guy that travelled with him.

I can reccomend Timmy's for first comers too since he's explaning everything to you and also whats 'normal' to go for. Very easy people to talk to and very funny.

He's not like the other tailors that drag you in to their shop and then you have to bargain, bargain and bargain some more to get the suit for the same price as Timmy's prices.

Timmy also got our suites and the ladies dresses transported to our room

(since we ride bikes) without charge.

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Timmy's Masschneider Tailor, Chaweng Beach, Koh Samui

Well to be honest, its probably you because Timmy is a perfectly nice person and a good dressmaker.

Auckland NZ
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Timmy's Masschneider Tailor, Chaweng Beach, Koh Samui

Another happy Timmys customer. We were in Chaweng this week and in three days my husband had a suit made with extra trousers in a very good fabric plus four shirts (Two in a silk fabric) for 11,800 baht. Timmy and Ash were both very friendly and helpful and we wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Found the shop hard to find at first. It is on the main drag opposite the Beachcomer Hotel

Get answers to your questions about Chaweng