We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquito problem

Auckland NZ
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
mosquito problem

Do they just bite at dusk or all day and night? Do you put repellant under or over sunscreen? Suppose I will leave my perfume at home!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,762 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquito problem

Hi,

While technically they are most active at dusk and dark, but that doesn't mean you'll be totally safe at other hours.. You do need to take proper protection depending on where you'll be and at what times you'll be there..

I personally use my repellent *under* my sun block.. but if you read most repellent labels, they do say that using it with sun block or other topical skin ointments, *can* reduce it's overall effectiveness. So, I'm aware to re-apply regularly when needed.

Travel Safe,

Norfolk
Level Contributor
598 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquito problem

Hello

I believe there are diff kinds of Mozzies. Ones at night do not carry anything bad, but the ones during the day may carry dengue fever. I was wondering about wearing mozzie spray during the day with sun lotion and how they may interact?

Are the day ones on beaches or just in the jungle or are they everywhere on Samui?

Thanks

Edited: 14 June 2010, 21:46
Melbourne
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquito problem

Lots of information about mossies:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k368…

Norfolk
Level Contributor
598 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquito problem

Thanks for the link. I hate wearing Insect spray with Deet as it melts nail varnish and plastic sandals etc and stains clothes. I end up with nail varnish all over my clothes and stained feet from melting sandals , lol. Have to hope either they get rid of Dengue fever before I go to Samui( never happen) or invent a pill instead,lol. One can dream....

Norfolk
Level Contributor
598 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquito problem

Just read this too, it melts swimming suits etc too, lol. And it melts leather and most my sandals are plastic or leather. Oh dear....

DEET is an effective solvent, and may dissolve some plastics, rayon, spandex, other synthetic fabrics, leather, and painted or varnished surfaces including nailpolish.

Kerikeri NZ
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mosquito problem

Have a look at the Bangkok forum for June 14th headed "Don't forget that Deet". It has good info. We are heading to K/S in August and as always will be very vigilant with mossie protection. Doesn't take much effort and it's well woth it.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mosquito problem

Is there Denge fever in Koh Samui?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,762 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mosquito problem

Hi,

Keshet,

Here's a recent (May 2010) news release from the Thai government Ministry of Public Health on the matter..

thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php…

Note that this speaks to the "North and Northeast regions" which on a relative basis isn't close to Samui.. So, while I think that the answer to your question is no, there is no dengue fever in Samui, I would also say that it's not entirely impossible that it couldn't happen in Samui either..

Travel Safe,

Edited: 16 June 2010, 11:33
Norfolk
Level Contributor
598 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mosquito problem

Here is another good link with info on Dengue fever etc,

essential-magazine.com/information/…

Kerikeri NZ
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mosquito problem

Hi. I hope I didn't cause undue worry to anyone by suggesting you look at the Bangkok forum re the Deet issue.

Our situation a couple of years ago has probably made me a bit more aware re Dengue and mozzies.

We were staying in Koh Samui in a 5 appartment complex and one of the other guests came down with Dengue. He DID NOT contract it in Koh Samui but in Northern Thailand before arriving at K/S. NOTE he was the ONLY case in Samui. He spent half of his holiday in hospital but made a full recovery and was glad when he could get back for a beer .We were all fine but it just made me realise that you can't be too complacent.

My attitude is that (without getting paranoid) take common sense steps to protect youself and the main thing, have a great holiday in Samui, which is sooo easy .!!!

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand