We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scooters in Koh Samui

Which Chaweng hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australind
Level Contributor
461 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Scooters in Koh Samui

Hi guys, going over for the first time in September, staying at Chewang area. Friends want us all to hire scooters then I heard the traffic is like Bali!! No way would I hire a scooter over there - is is really that busy? Thanks :)

London
Level Contributor
280 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scooters in Koh Samui

The traffic on a few streets in Chaweng can get busy.

There are one or 2 other areas, namely Nathon and around Bophut where it can get a little busy too.

Generally, I would say the traffic is not as bad as Bali though.

However, scooters are potentially a great way to ruin your holiday. The accident rates are high on Samui and as the visitor, you will just about always be responsible for any accident.

there has also been a lot of press about the poor condition of many scooters and the less than honest methods used by the guys renting them out.

In short, just play safe and hire a car or even better, take a songthew (sp).

You will see many a visitor sporting fetching gravel rash when on Samui - just not worth it in my opinion.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scooters in Koh Samui

We hired scooters and found that once you're out of Cahweng it was very quiet.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,951 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scooters in Koh Samui

I agree with Nobbydiesel. Although traffic isn't that bad out of Chaweng, driving skills vary - there are a lot of accidents involving scooters and tourists. Last year we saw a tourist proudly carrying their baby around on their scooter, they strapped it to themselves using a sarong, what idiots! We hired a car instead, but even that was hairy at times.

Edited: 14 March 2011, 21:09
perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scooters in Koh Samui

Hi AustralindJillie

I don't think traffic in Koh samui is as busy as bali but having say that if you never riding one before please don't do it. if a few of you together you can hire a car with aircon or suzuki jeep is much more fun as you can chats and being as a group.

cheers,

Newcastle N S W
Level Contributor
920 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scooters in Koh Samui

Hi

I personally wouldn`t hire a scooter unless you are an experienced rider. Maybe thats just me but i`ve seen too many accidents & near misses caused by inexperienced riders & IMO you need to be experienced to be able to react to the local lunatics.

I personally stick to hiring cars,I find that works best for me.

Jamie

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
249 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scooters in Koh Samui

Yeah,

I agree with the sentiments of most posts already here.

Koh Samui has one of the worlds worst accident/death tolls on the roads!!

Even if you take the most care in the world, driving slowly and careful it just does not matter as there's nothing you can do about a crazy truck driver coming round a blind corner and smashing right into you! I've driven around the island many many times over the years here and i find the experience still daunting/scary at times!!

Mind you, lots of the injuries/casualties/fatalities are down to people not wearing their crash helmets, it's illegal (even though i's not exactly enforced by the so called "police") not to wear one but the vast majority choose not to as one said to me "it's just not cool to wear one"...i said well is it cool to be lying in a coffin then and have your whole family heartbroken....just for the sake of "lookiong cool"????....he mumbled something and wandered off!!

I know i certainly do wear one and probably can thank it for saving my life when a pick-up truck pulled out from a side road right into me and sent me flying. My helmet was almost cracked right open down one side...that would have been my head if not for wearing a helmet!!

I'd hire a car, maybe not as much fun but it's much safer as the roads/drivers really are crazy sometimes!!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scooters in Koh Samui

Hi,

We went about this time last year. What we did is hire the scooters from the hotel we were staying at (although it is much cheaper to go elsewhere).

We found that the traffic was all dependent of when you were travelling. If you are going around anytime before, say, 2pm you will almost have the entire road to yourself.

We were do a loop of the island and by the end it was night time. I DO NOT recomend travelling on a scooter around Samui at night. Everyone is out and the road "suggestions" are just that.

That all being said, for a cheap, easy way to get around it is second to none.

London
Level Contributor
280 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scooters in Koh Samui

Second to none in terms of fatalities...........

Samui is top of the list.

Do the sensible thing; get a car.

A good friend of mine who has lived in Samui for 20 years has to be fed, dressed and have his backside cleaned by someone else, because he rode a scooter.

Please, don't.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scooters in Koh Samui

Wish I'd read this before hiring a scooter this morning. While I didnt have an accident the whole thing was not a pleasant experience. Was only on the thing for around an hour but didnt enjoy it one bit. If there are any novice scooter drivers out there, dont do it. The inexperience of using the bike and the unpredictability of the roads/other drivers is a recipe for disaster.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
249 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scooters in Koh Samui

Hairybandit:

Sorry to hear you didn't exactly have the most enjoyable experience on your bike but at least you've saw the dangers of it.

So many tourists come over who have never ridden a bike in their lives and it's scary watching them leaving the shop wobbling and wavering all over the place, speeding up then braking hard...it would be really funny if it wasn't so serious, i just have a quite laugh and a shake of my head and hope they get back in one piece as they're disasters waiting to happen.......

On a slightly more comical note i done EXACTLY this when i firsty came over a few years ago...never ridden a bike in my life......got on my bike outside my bungalow, really felt the part, yay, here i go around the Island on my new bike....put WAY too much on the revs and shot forward mega fast......and ended up head first right into a ditch upside down with the bike on top of me!!...i'd got a whopping 10 yards from my bungalow!!ha ha ha...

I learnt my lesson the hard way and took time to slowly learn how to handle it on quiet back streets in the middle of nowhere before i went out into mainstream mad traffic....