We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone remember Chaweng in 1994/1995

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,953 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone remember Chaweng in 1994/1995

I'm interested to see how many people on Trip Advisor were some of the old backpackers of the 1990's and remember Chaweng Beach from them. Would love to swap some stories with you.

We stayed at Jah Dub Bar, in between Baan Samui and Dew Drop Huts - it is now The Library - how different it is!

Does anyone remember Sante Fe and the big opening night? Or Catching an old boat from Chaweng Beach to the Full Moon Party on Phangan?

210 replies to this topic
melbourne
Level Contributor
557 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Anyone remember Chaweng in 1994/1995

hi i was in samui/koh phanghan in 93. AMAZING TIMES! stayed at silver sands which were simple bungalows but had a toilet and shower. charlies huts were just down the road and we ate there all the time and loved the fruit shakes. the reggae bar rocked in those days and i remember a big movie screen with movies outside.

caught the ferry to koh phanghan and did one full moon party and than got the ferry back. after about three weeks in samui we moved to koh phangan to HADRIN beach and had another full moon party. the next year they landed helicopters on the beach and arrested every body with illicit substances. i remember how quiet and chilled koh phanghan was and the bakery and gorgeous beach.

going back to samui in july havent been there for so long and staying at centara.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Anyone remember Chaweng in 1994/1995

I was in Samui in 1992 and my only thought was that the island was overrun with tourists!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,953 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Anyone remember Chaweng in 1994/1995

bbtony - that's funny, look at it now!

msm609 agree totally.

dani73Melbourne - good luck with that, you will get the shock of your life - I certainly did last year on our first return in 14 years - hated it, never want to go back. Guess this thread was a way of reminding myself how good it used to be.

Still like Phangan though, although that has changed too, but still feels laid back and less touristy than Samui, guess that's due to lack of an airport although I believe there has been talk of putting one on the island, I hope they don't!

Edited: 06 April 2011, 04:23
London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Anyone remember Chaweng in 1994/1995

Hey there - I was just thinking of this and had to Google it!

I was there in '94 - staying in Charlie's Huts on Chaweng Beach with my friend Dan and a few great guys we'd just met and travelled through Vietnam with (Rod, Panos and a few others I can't remember!).

We partied at the huts, drinking buckets of Mekong whiskey and coke, smoking Krong Tip (etc.) every night and then headed down to the Green Mango - across a rickety bamboo path which led across a swamp as I recall?

We also went "posh" and headed down to "The Island" right at the end of the beach a few times - really cool, slightly more upmarket down that end.

Our trip to Hadrin for a full moon party ended in disaster tho' as Dan got arrested for carrying a tiny joint ;(. We bailed him out of jail in Thon Sala , but sadly weeks of being stuck in the Thai legal system was a real downer. He finally got shipped to Bangkok Immigration Detention centre after a crazy trial we were deported after a couple more days.

Managed to get a flight to Singapore, but needless to say he can never go back.

I've been back once sincewith my wife to Thong Nai Pan on Ko Pang Ghang which was beautiful, but I definitely see the country in a different way to her.

Amazing times, but goes to show you can never be too careful x

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,953 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Anyone remember Chaweng in 1994/1995

Thanks for sharing barneyhands, shame your mate got into trouble and I know what you mean about viewing it in a different light. We went back last year and I hated what Chaweng has become. We are off to Phangan this year (Bottle Beach), can't wait.

I remember Charlie's Huts, shame they've gone - they whole beach has lost that flavour now.

melbourne
Level Contributor
557 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Anyone remember Chaweng in 1994/1995

yes i satyed at silver sands up from charlies huts and went to the full moon party by ferry. havent been back since than but am off in july

portsmouth
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Anyone remember Chaweng in 1994/1995

Wow how amazing reading back over peoples tales! I was in Koh Samui from December 1992 - March 1993, so a little earlier. I have just rushed to the depths of my cupboard under my stairs to dig out my "back packing " stuff that my parents kindly filed each time I sent home letters, postcards and old ticket stubs etc.

Thailand holds some of my most fabulous (and worst) back backer memories! I stayed in Charlies huts, does anybody remember the bushes that were shaped as animals??

My favourite night time haunt was the Green Mango what a great place for a good old boogey! I also enjoyed drinking (far too much) mekong whiskey mixed with chocolate milkshake (the only way to drink it) and smoking the krong tip cigerettes. Walking across the bridge to the Reggae Bar.

I made it to a couple of full moon parties on Koh Phangan, by ferry on the Sunflower for 60baht and staying at Rin Beach Bungalows in Hadrin with a hammock on the balcony - happy days!!

I too returned to to Koh Samui for my honeymoon in 2000 and stayed at the Tongsai Bay hotel. I couldnt resist booking a 3 night stay in Chaweng to end the honeymoon - what a mistake! I was devastated. Rather nievely I thought that it wouldnt have changed much but of coarse it wasn't even recognisable!

I couldn't bare to return to Thailand but finally I did this year with my husband and kids in tow. We stayed 10 mins outside Khao Lak and absolutely loved it! It had a wonderful vibe much like the Koh Samui of 1992 .

My faith in Thailand has returned!

Thanks for the memories guys!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,953 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Anyone remember Chaweng in 1994/1995

dani73Melbourne you will get a big shock, it's changed so much and not necessarily for the better.

komandoo200, thanks for sharing with us - I remember the animal shaped bushes. Our drink of choice was Santhip with coke, we used to go to the local supermarket and buy a bottle a then just buy our coke in The Green Mango and nobody minded, bet it's different now.

Can totally relate about the going back and being devastated, I was the same last year.

Have heard of a place called Koh Phayam on the west cost, near Burma, supposed to be like Samui was in the 70's/80's before the hoards arrived. Hope it stays that way.

We are off to Phangan this year (not Haad Rin), but to Bottle Beach to get some of that old feeling back!

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Anyone remember Chaweng in 1994/1995

even though overly westernise and overly developing is good to see some of business are still own by local whom were born and bred in koh samui.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,953 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Anyone remember Chaweng in 1994/1995

Was much more so back in the 90's, now there's a lot more non-Thais with businesses and more Thais that aren't from Samui. Also many Samuian's getting shafted it would seem having talked to some on our last visit, very sad.

Reply to: Anyone remember Chaweng in 1994/1995
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chaweng
Recent Conversations