We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone remember Chaweng in 1994/1995

Which Chaweng hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,935 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone remember Chaweng in 1994/1995

I'm interested to see how many people on Trip Advisor were some of the old backpackers of the 1990's and remember Chaweng Beach from them. Would love to swap some stories with you.

We stayed at Jah Dub Bar, in between Baan Samui and Dew Drop Huts - it is now The Library - how different it is!

Does anyone remember Sante Fe and the big opening night? Or Catching an old boat from Chaweng Beach to the Full Moon Party on Phangan?

184 replies to this topic
31. Re: Anyone remember Chaweng in 1994/1995

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 December 2011, 00:05

32. Re: Anyone remember Chaweng in 1994/1995

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 September 2011, 09:05

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,948 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Anyone remember Chaweng in 1994/1995

Spam, spam and more spam !!! Pathetic!

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Anyone remember Chaweng in 1994/1995

Just found some photo's from my first trip to Chaweng. It was actually late October 1991, not 92 as I originally thought. The 20th anniversary of that first trip is close.

It's a pity my camera and photography skills are nowhere near what they are today but the memmories that these analogue 6 x 4's have just brought back have brought a tear to my eye.

I have to book a trip soon.....Kho Phangan....Here I come!!!!!!!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,935 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Anyone remember Chaweng in 1994/1995

Wish I still had photos.

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
36. Re: Anyone remember Chaweng in 1994/1995

I was there in Septemberish 1996... Reggae pub and doors club, mango, santa fe ... oh the memories lol. And buckets of whiskey and walking home right f'd. 4 Canadians in an awesome foreign land :)

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,935 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Anyone remember Chaweng in 1994/1995

I had already left for Australia by September 1996, but have been back since, but it's not the same - I remember late nights/early mornings at the Doors Club : )

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,911 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Anyone remember Chaweng in 1994/1995

Cassnu - have just found an old video of '89 trip. Was with girlfriend (wife now) and 2 U.S. friends. Xmas time and hardly anyone on the beach in Chaweng or lamai looking at it now. Still have a few friends there from those days! Timmy from 'Timmys Tailors', Luke and Tip from 'Blackjack' pub

(wonder if they are still there, lost contact a few years ago....anyone???) and a few on K.P.G (Thong Nai pan). Quiet holidays can still be had of course but the prices today! Haven't been since moved back to U.K. three yars ago - should relinquish the d.e. status really!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Anyone remember Chaweng in 1994/1995

I was there in 96. I sayed for a month. In Charlies Huts where the chicken meals were more expensive than the accommodation. Also stayed next door at Charlies 2 (Viking Huts) and Joy resort (when I was being flash). I remember The Green Mango, Santa Fe where you could get illuminus body art and The Reggae pub with the long

I have been again and it has totally changed. Its a shame as I wanted to revisit my memory, but everything changes.

I met a great guy called SKY, who was living there for a while.

Sky, if you ever read this, get in touch as your postcard in 1997 didnt have your contact details on it lol.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,935 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Anyone remember Chaweng in 1994/1995

Bangkokgas, that would be a great video to see, it's not like that there now that's for sure - we prefer Koh Phangan nowadays.

jamie w, I remember all those places - I wonder when Charlies Huts got demolished, there's nothing like them anymore that's for sure.

Reply to: Anyone remember Chaweng in 1994/1995
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted