We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Take cash or use ATM's???

Melbourne
Level Contributor
291 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Take cash or use ATM's???

What is the best way to get the highest exchange rate for money (AUD) when going to Thailand? We are staying in Patong (Phuket), Koh Samui (Chaweng) & Koh Pha Ngan. We have a visa debit card that has NO charges or fees from our bank in Australia & no conversion percentages etc. The only fee we would likely get charged is the 150 baht that is apparently standard on most ATM's in Thailand.

Would we get more for our money if we were to exchange cash brought with us at an exchange booth? Or if we were to withdraw it from at ATM? Say for example if we wanted to exchange $500 AUD in cash at an exchange booth, would we get more baht doing it that way? Or would we get more withdrawing equal to $500 AUD in baht from an ATM. (With no charges from our bank, only the possible 150 baht from the Thailand bank)

Im not sure how the exchange rates work. Do ATM's have higher rates than the booths? Would we get more for our money doing one way over the other?

Thank you!

DUS
Level Contributor
651 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Take cash or use ATM's???

In general, ATM's have the better rates.

KK

new zealand
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Take cash or use ATM's???

We always use ATM.They only charge 150 bath and we take out 20000 bath at the time.Not too bad,150 bath is only a handdle of beer.Safer then taking cash in our opinion. Cheers

Woolgoolga...
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Take cash or use ATM's???

I was in the bank yesterday getting my debit card for our trip and the said they charge $5 per withdrawal ,I will probably only make 4 so I can handle that that was with bcu

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
41,278 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Take cash or use ATM's???

Have a look at the FAQ at top right for all the information you need about currency options. If your debit card really does incur no charges, no commission and a good rate of exchange, even though the rate for ATM is higher than cash, unless you are planning on changing an awful lot, the difference between the two methods will not be significant. A debit card also gives you greater security than carrying cash or ensuring you keep it safely until you need to change it. A mixture of cash and debit card is a widely used option.

Woolgoolga...
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Take cash or use ATM's???

I was also told to use the credit button when using your debit card as then you are covered by falcon if it is visa

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
156 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Take cash or use ATM's???

We have just come back and used both, VISA card and cash exchange. Much the same. When buying in shops and swiping the card, no charges. Only when withdrawing at the ATM, then 150 Baht gets taken. Personal preference, I suppose. For us next year, both again, but more the card. Just safer.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Take cash or use ATM's???

I took $1500AUD over and secured a very good rate at one of the local big banks in Koh Samui. I had look at rates prior to leaving Australia, e.g. travelx sold baht for 27.89 THB to our dollar or within Thailand I could exchange @ 31.89 THB to our dollar. Thats just example not the exact rate. So me personally, took cash and secured a better exchange rate whilst within Thailand, but obviously risk is high etc.

Newcastle N S W
Level Contributor
920 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Take cash or use ATM's???

I`ve always taken a mixture..Cash, ATM card & a credit card for emergencies only.That`s worked for me & i`ve never had any issues.

13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Take cash or use ATM's???

Hi I'm an Aussie and I just got back from samui and I think it's best to take cash of. Roughly what you want to spend and just store it in accom safe and change as you need coz most ATMs do charge 150baht per trans but I found I got charged 20aud for 1 ATM trans while I was there and also there currency xchange is less and also you can convert money to exactly what you need to save you from losing money on changing thb back to aud.

10. Re: Take cash or use ATM's???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 20:16