We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it more expensive to book hotels in advance?

3 posts
Save Topic
Is it more expensive to book hotels in advance?

Hi, travelling to koh samui in September, it'll be our first time visiting Thailand. Haven't yet booked any hotels, but I've been told by some people that the internet prices are vastly inflated and if you just go into the hotels and speak to reception staff it tends to be much cheaper. Is there any truth in this? Would you advise just booking one or two nights then 'bartering' with the hotel staff to extend the stay? Or is it best to book in advance to guarantee a room at a decent hotel?

Ps torn between the amari reef, or the baan haad ngam... Anyone have a preference?

Mentioned in this post
Aonang, Krabi
Destination Expert
for Krabi Town
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it more expensive to book hotels in advance?

For hotels like that, you are much better off booking in advance. Dont know where you heard that myth!!! Walk in rates are normally far higher

3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it more expensive to book hotels in advance?

Thanks for the reply, you've confirmed my suspicions!

Think that myths been invented by the kind of person who claims to have only spent £5 on everything the whole time they were in Thailand lol because its SO cheap.

Mentioned in this post
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
44,677 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it more expensive to book hotels in advance?

You've nailed the myth.

However, whilst I agree that generally booking in advance at best rate you can get, there is no harm in also contacting the hotel direct and see if they will beat the price. It depends on their contracts with agencies they use but some retain rooms for direct booking but often can fill them at a premium. Since September is a pretty busy period I doubt whether you will get a "special" deal booking direct.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,399 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it more expensive to book hotels in advance?

Totally, walk in rates are normally higher.

Perhaps they paid £5 for everything about 20 years ago . .. .

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it more expensive to book hotels in advance?

“Perhaps they paid £5 for everything about 20 years ago . .. .”

Twenty years ago you could not get a decent room for this price, and the only people claiming you could find all these imaginary great deals (Thailand on $1 a day) were still off their heads talking about this golden era, when they were on R&R during the Vietnam war.

Internet rate in this day and age in advance is the cheapest.

Mentioned in this post
UK
Level Contributor
877 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it more expensive to book hotels in advance?

Worth contacting hotel direct via e-mail if you've found a decent price via the web, might better the price or throw in room upgrades. Worth a try for the time taken to write an e-mail.

20 odd years ago we were getting less baht to the pound then now. Even then I remember people just turning up paying more than those of us who had prebooked.

Still miss those prices, £600 for two weeks high season in good hotels(now Anantaras) inc flights

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it more expensive to book hotels in advance?

Used to do the walk-in during previous visits but now use booking engines like Latestays, Agoda etc. One one occassion on a previous visit to Phuket as a walk-in I could not even get close to the internet rate offered. In the end the hotel was happy that I booked from the lobby using our laptop.

Just recently I wanted to book 2 rooms on Koh Tao and Agoda only had 1 room left for our dates. I contacted the hotel via email and they loaded a few more rooms onto the booking engine so we could get the internet rate.

Shop around and as mentioned don't be afraid to check via email direct with the hotel also.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it more expensive to book hotels in advance?

I am very leery of not having hotel reservations. If you know the area, you can usually find something. You can also find yourself roaming around a strange city, with hotel after hotel having no rooms. That becomes a real problem if you need to ask directions to find the next hotel. The internet makes hotel bookings a snap. As others have said, you are unlikely to save much, or more likely save nothing, by just showing up.

Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it more expensive to book hotels in advance?

Sawadee have a very large operation office on Koh Samui and good choices for Samui, Tao etc ( plus of course everywhere else in Thailand ) . Worth having a look.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it more expensive to book hotels in advance?

Hi,

I was tossing between the two hotels as well and ended up with BAAN Haad NGAM .

We are flying to KS this Saturday & booked at the Pool villa for a week.

I will let you know if the hotel is good when I return home to Sydney next Saturday.

Mentioned in this post
Baan Chaweng Beach Resort & Spa
Baan Chaweng Beach...
636 Reviews
Ko Samui, Thailand