We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amari Palm reef or the Anantara

Which Chaweng hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South East England
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Amari Palm reef or the Anantara

Hi I am looking at visiting Koh Samui for 7-8 nights in April 2012 and these 2 hotels are coming in at the same price, But like everyone else i am not sure which one is really better.

Location - Travelling as a couple we dont want to be cut off but no way do i want to stay in central Chewang, we visited the Amari 8 years ago and loved it but worried the area has changed quite a bit and that’s what was considering the Anantara (but seen some not so fantastic reviews on the Anantara)

Anyone been to the 2 hotels recently? Or who would recommend bo phut v's Chewang?

And the Anantara v’s the Amari?

Any help, ideas, experience welcome

Thanks

MelbourneAustralia
Level Contributor
337 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amari Palm reef or the Anantara

I was one of the people who recently put a less then flattering report in on the Anantara Lawana. We had always liked the idea of staying part of the time in Bophut and part in North Chaweng hence that was why we stayed at the Anantara Lawana again, but never again. Yes there has been a number of reports coming through about poor service, overpriced and poorly maintained for the Anantara Lawana, certainly not the same as it was when it was known as the Villa Lawana.

We have already boooked again for June 2012 and as much as we liked going to Chaweng proper at night and going to places such as The Ark Bar, Green Mangoe, Tropical Murphy, Coyote etc we have decided that we will base ourselves in Bohput and commute to Chaweng as needed, after all it is not much more time wise or cost to go from Bophut to Chaweng as it is from North Chaweng to Chaweng proper and the benefit of a quiter area, more restaurants etc in Fishermans Village out weighs anything else. Some will argue that the beach is not as good and yes the sand is more course but having been to Samui a few times now, we feel far more at home in Bophut.

South East England
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amari Palm reef or the Anantara

Where are you planning on staying In bophut as you have been before? An know the area? Many thanks

Edited: 27 September 2011, 08:09
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
300 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amari Palm reef or the Anantara

Yes- we stayed 3 weeks ago at Anantara Bohphut and it was the highlight accommodation on our trip!! Very luxurious for us, great pool, great beach and easy walk to meander in the Fishermans Villages with heaps of restaurants. We had a room in the main block and it was excellent. Massage hutt on the beach also - or if you have the money there's a spa on site. I'd definitely recommend it. People with quite young children, couples and groups were there for weddings so appeals to all sorts.

MelbourneAustralia
Level Contributor
337 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amari Palm reef or the Anantara

Have booked accommodation again at the Anantara Bophut in one of the newer one bedroom private pool villas. I did a recent review on it recently.

South East England
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amari Palm reef or the Anantara

Thanks so much for your replies... I will avoid the Anantara Lawana and look into the Anantara BoPhut ;-)

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amari Palm reef or the Anantara

Yes, the Anantara Bophut is the better option.

7. Re: Amari Palm reef or the Anantara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 07:19