We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any ideas / recomendations

perth
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
any ideas / recomendations

hi all

a group of us fun loving 60yr old guys have chosen Chaweng over Melbourne for Grand Final time, ( end Sept) is the Ark Bar too young for us, or ? would like on the beach with bar & pool & not too far to walk home @ night after a few, we enjoy beach, sights & late nights,

3 or 4 star, first time to Koh Samui, been Phuket a few times great fun. Any suggestions much appreciated, Thanks Brian

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any ideas / recomendations

Hi Brian

60s it's just a number. If you're bunch of guys want to have fun and not take things too seriously then I don't see why Ark bar will be too young for you. How young or old is how you act or behave ( I think anyway) but I do believes in act appropriately and know time and place.

Ark bar is on very busy part of chaweng beach. They have their owns beach party with DJ loud music. You are in the thick of everything and close to famous soi green mango ( center of all kinds bars, clubs)

Any how this is the lists you may want to have a look.

Baan chaweng beach resort

Baan Samui beach resort

Malibu beach resort

Al's resort

and many more as you didn't mention your budget. These properties are beach front with swims up pool bars and within walking to everything you are after.

Hope this help.

Pea:-)

perth
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any ideas / recomendations

Hi Sweetpea, many thanks for your tips & experience, & agree have fun & behave appropriately, where would you suggest to go & watch the Grand Final. Looking forward to the trip, cheers for now & thanks, Brian

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any ideas / recomendations

Hi Brian

On chaweng beach road there are plenty of bars and restaurants some runs and ownd by an Aussie. You wouldn't miss it as they have an Aussie flags stickers all over it. Sport bar are pretty big thing over there. Good for you go and have a great time. Let's us know how it went when you're return home please:-)

Pea

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any ideas / recomendations

We were on Samui for the 2010 drawn grand final and watched it at the Islander bar. Great atmosphere with quite a few tvs. Lots of other places were showing it too. As for accommodation, Ark Bar wouldn't be my choice, it is one thing to enjoy a party etc but blaring music all night is another. My hubby is 60 and enjoys a good night out but would have hated staying in that location. Personally I would stay a bit further south, taxis are cheap and you will enjoy getting a better nights sleep.

perth
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: any ideas / recomendations

Hi Sweetpea & JustAllie

Many thanks for the additional info very helpful, will post when back from trip.

Cheers Brian

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: any ideas / recomendations

I have to agree with Allie that the ark bar wouldn't be my choice of accomodation unless I was 100% sure that I wouldn't want to be in bed utill at least 3-4am every night. The area its set in plays loud pounding music and most people would find it hard to sleep through. Maybe somwhere more slightly north Chaweng might be a better option. Very westernised with lots of bars and places to eat but probably slightly quieter just in case you did fancy a slightly earlier night's sleep.

Coffs Harbour
Level Contributor
267 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: any ideas / recomendations

We watched last years NRL grandfinal at the Islander which was ok. Tropical Murphys down the road will have it on too but the Islander will be better. Dont get excited about the Ark Bar, its an overrated dump and spoils the central part of the beach... Lots of pingas and anything else you want for sale there if thats what you want. I also wouldnt reccommend staying in the central area and definately not the Baan Samui, have stayed there before and thats also a dump. Head a little further south on Chaweng, still only a walk but away from the messy areas. Oh and I'm only 50...

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: any ideas / recomendations

There are so many bars that you will be spoilt for choice, everyone has a favourite so don't stick to one, check them all out and let us know your favourite when you return.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: any ideas / recomendations

Just to add I would also stay in south Chaweng over other parts of chaweng, quieter but still within walking distance to bars and restaurants.

perth
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: any ideas / recomendations

Thanks everyone for your valuable input, very much appreciated, will let you know the outcome, happy travels

Cheers Brian

Get answers to your questions about Chaweng