We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding sleaze!!

Which Chaweng hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
central coast
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Avoiding sleaze!!

Is there any where in particular I should avoid going in KS if i would prefer to avoid overtly sleazy beahviour? A wierd question I'm sure lol..... I swear that last time I was there in 2004 there was a bar in mango soi with a glass floor???? That is what im trying to avoid lol....any help appreciated. I'm looking to have a calm, family type vacation with a fair few good nights thrown in rather than an all out getting drunk, nightclub massive hangover type deal and i want to show the people i am going with the nicer side of KS , not the seedy side!

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoiding sleaze!!

Hi

Soi mango is hub of all clubs and bars so don't go there.

central coast
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoiding sleaze!!

Thanks Sweet pea, i have been there before and i dont mind a night out etc....having fun, and drinks.. i guess i am just trying to avoid being propositioned by bar girls, etc. i found last time that it happened to both men and women! Am I being silly....? is it any worse than any typical nightclub you would go to in australia? i know bangkok has a 'red light' district but would you think mango soi is the 'red light' district of KS?

On another question if I can - we are staying at pandora hotel in orthern chaweng, i am reading northern chaweng is not the nicest part? Any thoughts on this either?

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoiding sleaze!!

I think they are refer to the beach not the area itself. The north Chawemg beach the beach can be shallow and the water not as clear as the south beach. Sorry I cant comment on the room but the resort is not on the beach front you have to walk across the chaweng beach road and walk past the resort that suitated on the beach front in to the beach. IMHO I think pandora is more so in central than north. If you have not book yet why don't you have a look at some where on the beach front perhaps south chaweng beach the sand beach nicer and quieter not busy but easy walk to bars and restaurants also close to shops and it suite family.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoiding sleaze!!

North chaweng is the party area of Chaweng so if you want to avoid this book somewhere in South Chaweng.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
7,619 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoiding sleaze!!

Sorry, but North Chaweng is not the party area. It is a relativly newly developed stretch of hotels that have come up during the last 3 to 5 years.

The party area is Soi Mango, which is refered to as Central Samui.

@Tigerstripes

Simply stay on Chaweng Beach Road and you will not be propositend. Well, except by tailors of course. :)

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoiding sleaze!!

If you want to avoid sleaze and being propositioned (whether its by tailors, timeshare touts, prostitutues, beach hawkers or kick boxing venues) then don't stay anywhere in Chaweng and try another part of the island. You'll get propositioned by one or all of the above on a daily basis. As previous posters say South Chaweng is still the quieter of the three areas. Central Chaweng is still the nosiest and smelliest of the three areas and if you found it too full on and sleazy then, you won't see any improvements. If anything its much worse now and if you disliked it then I don't think you'd like it now. you will also find Northern Chaweng has had quite a lot of development since you last visited and recent TA reports seem to suggest that in some areas it is also suffering from loud late night music and fireworks.

I'd definitely show your friends Bhoput (and perhaps consider staying there) as its a much more upmarket area than Chaweng and so much more laid back. Yes it doesn't have the talcum powder textured sand of Chaweng but the trade off is that it is more in line with your description of what you'e after from a holiday (calm family type holidays with great nights out). If sand texture is important then Choeng Mon might be an alternative for a place to visit and stay. Its smaller than Bhoput but has a lovely beach but its only its 10 minutes in either direction by car to both Chaweng and Bhoput. Its got some good restaurants beachside and in the High Street. Maenem might be another area to consider for the same reasons as Choeng Mon. Both areas still retain a thai village feel which has long since been lost in the more developed areas of Samui.

central coast
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoiding sleaze!!

Thanks so much for all the input. I really appreciate the time you have all taken to let me know your thoughts. i am in two minds about everything!! Im going to re- read all your comments and try to think some more about where I am going to stay and what I am going to do :-) Keep the suggestions coming they are much appreciated!

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoiding sleaze!!

We also visited back in 2004 and stayed right at the South part of Chaweng. On our return in December 2010 we stayed right at the North end of Chaweng. The busiest part is central Chaweng. On our first visit we didn’t find much hassle, but on our second visit, wow has it definitely changed and got a lot busier.

I was with my other half (him male, me female). I noticed that when he was off walking ahead and I was browsing he would get ladies asking him if he wanted a massage ….. when we were together, it rarely happened as much. I wouldn’t say it was really loads of hassle. Even when we met up with our friend who is now living in Thailand, ladies paid more attention to him because he was on his own.

The beach in my opinion is better right at the South, as it is not as busy, in the middle of Chaweng it feels really crowded. In the North, its quieter but not as much as the South. Beach is generally the same quality along, but the South wins it for me.

We ventured into Central Chaweng most nights and yes there are parts which are more seedier than others, but you know when you get there.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoiding sleaze!!

It happens - just politely decline and move on. No worse than beating off those annoying tailors. ;)

austraila
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoiding sleaze!!

there are what we call sleeze every where over there ,it depends on how much attention you want to pay to it.we go every year with our family/friends and manage to recognize these places and walk past without any problem. not a big deal.There are many nice bars and restaurant The cliff ,Red snapper,Poppies ,Oceans 11.are just a few .The whole of Koh Samui is lovely and the people.