We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharks in koh samui seas??

Liverpool, United...
14 posts
Save Topic
Sharks in koh samui seas??

Hi does any one know if there are sharks in the seas around koh samui ??

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sharks in koh samui seas??

I dived with bull-sharks at sailrock outside Koh Phangan in september. I think they are still there.. And they where just amazing!!

But I think that`s the only place to spot them. Never heard about any sharks seen by non-divers. And they will not approach shallow water around the islands, so no worries :)

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sharks in koh samui seas??

Hi Sarah.

Have been swimming in the waters around Chaweng and Koh Tao for a number of years and have never heard or seen one. The only Sharks I have seen are the Jet Ski owners and the Time Share Guys, lol.

Cheers Bob.

Liverpool, United...
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sharks in koh samui seas??

Thanks guys for the help I'm really worried about the sharks in the sea, do bull sharks attack?! I googled on the net and there has been 1 shark attack in the last 10 years but I'm told that locals don't report it ?! I want to go diving with my partner but I'm a bit worried about the sharks ..... Thanks again! ;)

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,537 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sharks in koh samui seas??

You won't find bull sharks around Samui, they are in the deeper waters as far as I know, which is why they hang around Sail Rock which is a good distance from Samui. Been diving and snorkelling in Samui and Koh Phangan and never witnessed any big sharks.

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sharks in koh samui seas??

Hi

You'll find most people who dive around the gulf hoping to see whale sharks and snorkel hoping to see black tip reef sharks. Neither of which, as far as I'm aware, are a threat.

With the amount of diving that goes on around Koh Tao if it were dangerous due to sharks you'd soon here about it.

Relax and enjoy it, it's gorgeous.

Edited: 16 October 2012, 23:57
Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sharks in koh samui seas??

Sarah there are sharks in the ocean full stop but I swim in the ocean most days and so far so good.

The risk is really miniscule and here in Australia we have had many more attacks than Samui but we all still swim and surf in it. I think you are worrying unnecessarily, just enjoy your holiday and remember whoever takes you diving wants to get bitten about as much as you do so they take all precautions.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sharks in koh samui seas??

There are sharks in all seas and oceans and if you want to swim I guess you have to share with them.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sharks in koh samui seas??

I haven't seen them in Samui too , Thought I could see them around Koh Tao :'( but can't be found ,unlucky. So you don't have to worry about it.

Enjoy your holiday.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sharks in koh samui seas??

If you take a diving trip to sailrock they are there from july to october, i think..

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sharks in koh samui seas??

I know someone who lives in Koh Tao and is a regular scuba type person .... he see's a lot of whale sharks, but harmless to us.