We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

were to stay on a budget

Which Chaweng hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
were to stay on a budget

so after doing some research i guess we would like some were in south chaweng beach,

basically we have booked a few nights in zazen for some luxury but whilst we spend the rest of our time in samui before moving on we need somewere for about 1200 bht, be great to have somewere on the beach but as long as its 5 min walking then thats cool, really need to be walking distance to all buzz reseturuants bars ect but dont want to stay in the thick of it.

staying for around 6 nights.

tar :)

Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: were to stay on a budget

.PS really worried about samui now and chaweng area love bars markets and buzz i am 21! but i dont want tacky and prositutes and over developedness! i still want some athunticity and thai cultre and be able to have chilled out relaxed romantic evenings

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: were to stay on a budget

Don't worry about the tackiness and working girls in Chaweng, while it's very developed the girly bars are mostly restricted to the soi leading out to the Reggae Bar and around the Green Mango soi. They are not on every street corner so to speak.

I'm sure some of the DE's here will be able to point you in the right direction for decent budget hotels but there are a number of them in South Chaweng on the opposite side of the road to the beach, from hostels to 3 star places.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: were to stay on a budget

I think you are going to be happy with South Chewang. Your other option for more 'authentic Thai' is popping over to Koh Phangan. I have not been there yet (staying this coming June) but it's more relaxed and less developed.

The ferry is quite cheap over there and you will be able to get cheap bungalows.

I would say though doing Phangan first, then Samui last, as this will work better with ferry times and flights out of Samui probably.

Sorry to add another option to consider!

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: were to stay on a budget

Hi

1200 bath is abut $40 there are few on south chaweng

Treadwinds hotel

San scouci

Sea scape

First residence

These are beach front but budget and basic so it will be completely different from world the Zazen.

Also check this out www.kohsamuibudget.hotel/

Cheers,

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: were to stay on a budget

hi there

if you dont want prostitutes and over developness

dont go near chaweng

try bophut instead

has a great vibe and more thai charm than chaweng

everything in your second post points to bophut and you will get a taste of this at Zazen

cheers

Dean cleeton

Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: were to stay on a budget

Thanks for the advice zazen is beautiful but can only afford to stay there a few days as a treat ! funny a friend who went to thailand about 6 years ago said I could get somewhere really pretty with air con ect and not far from beach for 18 quid.. I'm struggling to find good budget good quality acvomidation for that price

Mayb it's got more expensive, only thing Iev seen is nova samui resort,

Any more acvomidation suggestions much appreciated !

Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: were to stay on a budget

yano what, actually i think in general accomodation is more expensive then i thought it was going to be even for places like zazen i guess i thought money would go futher then it does, maybe i had some outdated advice :(

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: were to stay on a budget

Nova Samui is only short walk to beach that would be good choice :)

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: were to stay on a budget

If you want somewhere less developed and more authentic than Chaweng and budget accomodation have a look at the white house and samui honey cottages on Choeng Mon beach. Much more thai than anywhere in Chaweng and the beach/sand is as nice as South Chaweng. No girly bars in that area.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: were to stay on a budget

Yes totally agree with twiggyrex Samui honey cottage, White House and also kirati house are cheaper and within your budget although White House might be a bit more. Is only 10 mins by taxi if you want to go to chaweng beach.

Also many guesthouse and small hotel in bangrak and Maenam area but you have to compromise on something.