We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nightclub mugging warning - Chewang

England
Level Contributor
53 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Nightclub mugging warning - Chewang

My two sons recently visited the Green Mango club and became separated from each other, my eldest son(20) was talking to two Thai girls when he was frog marched out of the club by what he thought was police, he couldn't see their faces as they pounced on him from behind. Once outside the men become nasty and demanded money, my son gave them what little cash he had but they kept demanding more and searched him to find a credit card, they then went on to force my son to a cashpoint to demand more money. Luckily my Son informed the culprits that his ankle was hurting and couldn't walk, at that point he picked up his shoes and ran back to the hotel chased by the men on motorbikes. He realises he had a lucky escape and the night out could have turned out much worse than a bit of hurt pride. He thinks the whole thing was a set up with the girls and could be a nightly occurance for foreign holiday makers. It wasn't worth contacting the police as they appear also corrupt. Just a word of advice when out enjoying yourselves, be careful and don't put yourself in a similar situation.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,539 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nightclub mugging warning - Chewang

A sad state of affairs for sure and glad your son was able to get away, but these things do happen and have been happening for some years, it still should have been reported though.

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nightclub mugging warning - Chewang

Yep that sounds like the boys in brown.

3. Re: Nightclub mugging warning - Chewang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 July 2013, 22:05
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nightclub mugging warning - Chewang

What a terrible thing to happen, hopefully he called the police.

5. Re: Nightclub mugging warning - Chewang

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

6. Re: Nightclub mugging warning - Chewang

7. Re: Nightclub mugging warning - Chewang

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nightclub mugging warning - Chewang

eldest son was 20 [meaning the other one was younger and not supposed to be drinking in thailand bars anyway ]

this is a normal scam in samui nightclubs chatting up local thai girls , then boyfriends {?] turn up

tourist police needed for a complaint [just so its noted ]

not much use running to other bars for help, very few will help you , just sit and watch the action

such is the nightlife in green mango

cheers

DC

England
Level Contributor
53 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nightclub mugging warning - Chewang

Who said anything about drinking in bars, they do sell soft drinks

England
Level Contributor
53 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nightclub mugging warning - Chewang

This wasn't a story, just fact, he had no reason to make this up. My posting was not to be critised, just to warn others so they don't find themselves in a similar or worse situation. The age of my son's are not in question, putting trust in other people when in a foreign country is.