We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September in Chaweng. Busy or Quiet?

Which Chaweng hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
70 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
September in Chaweng. Busy or Quiet?

Hi Trip Advisors,

My fiance and I are first timers in Thailand and we are about to book a stay on Chaweng beach for a week in mid September.

We are 30 and 35 but can still enjoy pretty wild partying on occasion.

We want to be near the action, to see it, and to get stuck in when we choose.

BUT, we don't want to see hoards of drunken 20yr olds or relentless loud music within the sanctity of our resort.

Perhaps its too much to ask, but I would like a beautiful sanctuary with light music and drinks by the pool, 3 minutes walk to awesome hustle and bustle. :)

So the questions are, how close to Central Chaweng do we stay? I'm using Ark bar as the center of festivities based on what i read. Should we stay 400m down the beach at Chaweng Buri? To get semi-quiet (not sleepy) at the hotel?

How noisy is the nearby nightlife?

I know it will be difficult to explain, but, how busy is September?

If it is any help as points of reference. I live in Cape Town. I know World Cup busy, I know Spring break in Mexico busy, I know Camps bay in summer...if any of you readers can compare ..

Thank you!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,930 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September in Chaweng. Busy or Quiet?

LOL, isn't that the trouble when you get into your 30's the 20 year olds seem so, er, unruly! Just wait until you get to your 50s!

Ok, we have kids your age, we love the southern end of Chaweng. Around the Centara Grand area. There is the calm and more laid back feel, plus some nice quiet bars (especially the Happy Bar opposite the Centara Grand), restaurants and shops. But is a 20-30mins walk to say Soi Green Mango [which is not far from the Ark Bar], or a 5min ride in a songthew or a bike taxi.

I live in the UK, I know London busy, and New Year in Sydney Harbour and Patong! Chaweng even on the days before or after the Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan is not that busy, ever!

How close to Central Chaweng do we stay? I'm using Ark bar as the center of festivities based on what i read.

A] We can't really decide how close you should stay to the centre, but it will come down to how far you want to walk or travel to the centre. I personally would use Soi Green Mango / Solo Bar / Aussie Bar as my land marks for busy, as the Ark bar is beach side, but the road is pretty busy for 100m in this area.

Should we stay 400m down the beach at Chaweng Buri?

A] Banana Sea Fan is normally the line when it becomes a bit quieter. Chaweng Buri is still in the busy bit, IMO

To get semi-quiet (not sleepy) at the hotel?

A] Anything south of Banana Sea Fan or out of the one way system

How noisy is the nearby nightlife?

A] not very, the odd bit but nothing too bad and always quiet later on.

I know it will be difficult to explain, but, how busy is September?

A] busy, as it is a popular time to travel, but not like Christmas / New Year.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September in Chaweng. Busy or Quiet?

The Banana Fan would be a good option if it's within budget as it's the last hotel on the best part of the beach in South Chaweng, after that it's a bit rocky and you have to go further out to swim, it's only about a 10 minute walk to the Ark Bar.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
70 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September in Chaweng. Busy or Quiet?

Thank you both! We decided that if it isn't THAAAAT busy, then we'd like to be quite close to the concentration of people and activity. After reading many reviews we chose and booked Baan Chaweng. Booked and paid for, so please don't tell me i've made a mistake :) Thanks for your help. Can't wait to get there!

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September in Chaweng. Busy or Quiet?

You should be fine with Baan Chaweng, it is in a great location if you want to party but it is still relatively quiet inside the resort. The beach out front is still lovely too.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
979 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September in Chaweng. Busy or Quiet?

Hi

Booking a holiday to Samui no matter where could never be a mistake in my eyes. Just go with the flow and all will be fine.

Baan Chaweng is a good pick, agree with Just Aliie.

have a fab time :)

6. Re: September in Chaweng. Busy or Quiet?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 06:35
Kanchanaburi...
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: September in Chaweng. Busy or Quiet?

September is not typically a busy month in Koh Samui, so it is lucky you are staying in Chaweng as other parts will be very quiet. The best nightlife should still be in Soi Green Mango. This is where most of the bars and nightclubs are located.

By the way, just note that there is an election upcoming in Koh Samui, so all bars will be closed. I think the election date is 15th of this month and as usual bars must be closed at least the day before and the day of the election. Actually, no one is supposed to sell alcohol on those days but well, if you know where to go, you can still get your liquor. But no parties during those days.

8. Re: September in Chaweng. Busy or Quiet?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2014, 05:16