We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What type of place is it

Manchester...
Level Contributor
41 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
What type of place is it

Hi

I have read various reviews on Cheweng and still can't make my mind up, a lot of reviews says it's like Ibiza or 18-30 s club type holiday, we are middle aged but still like plenty going on as far as eating places and a nice atmosphere, but don't want crazy mad house places, we are beach bums, but would hate it if the beach was crazy all the time, we have been to Ko lanta and loved it, also Karon and kamarla at Phucket, ! Any help appreciated, also we are looking for beach accommodation but not to expensive can you recommended any

Thanks Elaine

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What type of place is it

Hi

If you like those areas you're mentioned then I think either South Chaweng and Cheongmon beach will suit you.

Most of koh Samui accommodations are beach front unlike Phuket where you have to cross the road to beach. The resort also have beach chairs and umbrella for staying guests to use.

What's your budget for accoms? Perhaps have a look here www.sawadee.com/hotel/kohsamui for some ideas. Make some short listed we will help you narrow it down.

Manchester...
Level Contributor
41 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What type of place is it

Thanks, our budget is probley no more than £30 per night and would love beach front

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What type of place is it

Have a look at

Baan Talay beach resort

Samui lagoon bay

Seascape

Chaweng cove resotel

These are on south chaweng beach.

Smaui honey cottage

Kirati house

White House

These are in Cheonmon. Beach.

Please keep in mind the price in high or peak season will be double or triple that.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What type of place is it

Hi, we stay in Kata in Phuket and South Chaweng when we're in Samui as it's quieter than Central Chaweng but still within walking distance but I think you'll have to up the budget a bit, check out these websites to see whats available for your dates and budget.

www.hotelscombined.com www.asiatravel.com

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What type of place is it

Also you can use this currency converter website to convert pounds to baht.

www.xe.com

Manchester...
Level Contributor
41 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What type of place is it

Great thanks you have been so helpful xx

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,917 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What type of place is it

hi,

you may like Bophut if you like kata and kamala, as they have similar feel

we are in our 50s and actually love the centre, but stay in south chaweng. we found bophut too quiet for us, unless when friday market is on. the beach is very quiet, but not as nice sand as chaweng or cheong mon

( and yes I was the short old lady smoking a shisha and dancing with the ladyboys in solo on Monday night )

Manchester...
Level Contributor
41 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What type of place is it

Hi

Thanks everyone for your help, we are still debating if Maanam or south Chewang is for us, I have done a lot of reading up and a lot of people say South Chewang is mad busy and the beach is crazy, ie party party, not that we are stick in the MUDs, but like to relax, don't like places that are going on til early hours,

They all look lovely, but still deciding ,any help appreciated

Thanks

Bray, Ireland
Level Contributor
867 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What type of place is it

South chaweng beach is not party central. It's nice and quiet. Check out king's garden resort, it's south but not too far from central chaweng. Lovely bungalows, it's right on the beach with plenty of sunloungers. And the beach is perfectly calm and quiet there. Your only a 10 minute walk away from central chaweng, but even around central chaweng, the only part I'd describe as being like Ibiza is soi green mango, which is off the main road. Then on the beach nearby you have ark bar which is best to be avoided if u don't want music blaring and youngsters getting drunk all around you. Around king's garden, the beach is nice and quiet. There are plenty of great seafood restaraunts along the road outside. You have the duke pub across the road if you do fancy a drink in the evening which has live music I think every night. And tropical Murphy's Irish bar, another popular bar for a calm quiet drink with great food too.

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What type of place is it

I don't know who you're talking to but south chaweng is nothing like that. Chaweng central is the party central. Chaweng beach is 6 km long divides in to 3 parts

North of chaweng lots of big hotels beach are not the best due to shallow water and some part are rocky.

Chaweng central hustle and bustle everything in your door steps.

South of chaweng great beach, quieter but easy walk to central approximately 20-25 mins. You don't need to go to central as there are plenty of restaurants and bars within the area. South chaweng crazy mad no way.

South chaweng according to locals is start around Buri Rasa village / Banana Fan Sea beach resort right down to Samui paradise beach resort.