We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ChAweng or bophut?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
ChAweng or bophut?

Traveling end December so will be there around Christmas time. Wondering whether I should stay in chAweng or a bit further near bophut beach at the mantra Samui resort? From what I've read the mantra is a 10 min car ride to bophut beach and 15-20 min ride to central chaweng. I was looking for a hotel that's not too isolated but not too noisy either. Getting a great deal on the mantra which is why I'm wondering if I should just stay there? They have 22 shuttles daily to take guests to and fro between the hotel and bophut and chAweng beach.

we are in out early 30s but also have a 7 month baby.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ChAweng or bophut?

Hi

Normally I would say chaweng south but your travel time chaweng beach will/can be rough.

With baby I would suggest look at beach front hotel in cheongmon beach instead. That being the deals at mantra is quite good. I think it depends if you are not worried too much about being right on the beach then it should be find.

That time of year Cheongmoan and bophut are sheltered which make it more pleasant to be on beach.

Check out

Imperial boathouse in cheongmon

White House

In bophut beach front

Baan Dara

Bophut spa and resort

Smile house

Peace resort

Cheers,

Edited: 07 August 2014, 08:47
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ChAweng or bophut?

Thank you! Went through the list and some of the hotels are not available and others are a bit out of my budget. I was hoping to spend approx $100 USD per night. The Mantra currently is available for around about that which is why I was thinking of grabbing it.

Some confusion here.. hoping you can clarify.

Trying to get some distinction between where Bophut ends and Chaweng starts on the map. When I look at the map it seems like Bophut overlaps Chaweng. Can you explain?

You referred Cheongmoan area, is that considered the north part of the Chaweng strip?It's an hour walk to the main Chaweng beach area (Ark Bar, Green Mango etc) from Cheongmoan. I was hoping to not be too far off from the lively area. Would you have other hotel recommendations that fit the bill (don't have to be beach front properties)? I just want to weigh all my options (liveliness vs. good beach vs good hotels) before booking something. Thanks in advance!!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,719 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ChAweng or bophut?

Hi

Chaweng, Choengmon and Bophut as very much distinct beaches!

If you look at this map of the island by Thai Airways, whilst being a bit dated is a good one, just click on this link --> thaiwaysmagazine.com/samui_map/samui_map_isl…

The Mantra is about in the middle of cell 2E

Bophut beach is the bit of beach around Fishermans Village, and runs from Zazen Resort to Anantara / Polic Booth. Fishermans Village has as great weekly Friday night market, and there are some nice bars and restaurants, but we find it a bit too quiet for us.

Choengmon beach is sort of from Sala Samui to Hotel, the White House.

Chaweng being from La Chabis down to Sans Souci. Chaweng is much longer beach than the other two. It is split into centre in the norther and southern end. The Ark Bar, Bar Solo and Soi Green Mango being in sort of between Chaweng Regent and Evergreen Resort, there is now a Mall in this area too. The Ark Bar and Soi Green Mango is very much the central bit .

You will find beach front properties on all 3 beaches.

It takes around 10-15 mins in a vehicle to get from Anantara / Polic Booth to the Ark Bar. A bit less from Choengmon. I would not want to walk to Chaweng from either!

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ChAweng or bophut?

Cheongmon is closer to chaweng and lively area, is approximately 5 mins by taxi. From actual Bophut beach( mantra, fisherman village ) approximately 15-20mins.

What confused you and many was chaweng beach, cheongmon beach and Bophut beach all are under Bophut sub-district jurisdictions. You will see many hotel on these beach address in Bophut but they are not actually on Bophut beach. That's why you think bophut is over lap chaweng.

Bophut beach are on top right hand side or the map. If you look at the map and you see chaweng next beach is cheongmon beach, its small beach beautiful crescent shape ( hence the name Cheongmon). Its foo far to walk from cheongmon to chaweng beach. Just use songtheaw or taxi. And no cheomgmon beach is not part of chaweng beach.

If you want to walk to green mango, ark bar then perhaps look at hotel in south chaweng beach. Approximately 20 mins walk. The ocean might be rough at that time but if you're happy with swimming pool then you should,be ok. The time of you'e travel is PEAK time the most expensive and one of the busy time.

Checkout

Baan Talay

Chaweng cove resotel

Kirikayan resort

Samui lagoon bay

Theses are in souhrnc ah went beach.

Cheongmon beach

White House

Samui honey cottage

Kirati house

Cheers,

Edited: 07 August 2014, 14:45
Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ChAweng or bophut?

Promtsuk Buri resort, Thong Takian beach

Considered the best beach on the island by many.

Edited: 07 August 2014, 15:55
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ChAweng or bophut?

Thanks all wil check them out. So no to mantra near bophut beach?

The explanation really makes sense and clarified everything! Esp the map :-)

Edited: 07 August 2014, 21:19
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,719 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ChAweng or bophut?

LOL, choice is very much yours!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ChAweng or bophut?

thats the issue - too much choice!!! hahah

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ChAweng or bophut?

Thongtakien beach is quiet far from actions. It is further away than cheongmon beach, bophut beach to chaweng beach. However the beach are beautiful very quiet. But not that time of year the beach around there may have problem with erosions.

Yes mantra is near actual bophut beach, near fisherman village.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ChAweng or bophut?

Do you guys think it's a good idea to rent a car for the 4 days I'll be spending in Samui? If I'll need the car anyway to go around to do some sightseeing then I don't mind living far away from the chAweng centre and driving there for the beach or nightlife daily.

Get answers to your questions about Chaweng
Recent Conversations