We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mutiara Taman Negara

London, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mutiara Taman Negara

Hi

I have a few questions:

1. What is recommended to see at Mutiara Taman Negara ?

2. Can I travel from there to Elephant Sanctuary?

3. Can I go for walks on my own or are trips with guide recomended?

4. Where to sta?(central as possible)

Thank you!

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,897 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mutiara Taman Negara

1) Mutiara Taman Negara is the name of the only hotel accommodation actually located within Taman Negara itself (which means "The National Park" in Malay, being the first established national park in Malaysia).

2) You would need your own transportation (either self-drive/or with driver) to get from Taman Negara to the Elephant Sanctuary at Kuala Gandah.

3) You can go for walks on your own, just don't get lost in the jungle.

4) As said before, Mutiara Taman Negara is the only lodging within the park itself, other than camping or staying in a hide in the jungle. All other proper lodgings are outside the park, a short boat ride across the river in Kuala Tahan.

London, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mutiara Taman Negara

Oh gosh... that really got me confused...

Should I go for organised trip than?

I would like to see the best of the jungle.... What do u propose? I will be coming from KL..

London, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mutiara Taman Negara

Is it worth going to Elephant Sanctuary?

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,897 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mutiara Taman Negara

1) Whoops, sorry if I confused you. Which part is confusing?

2) If you want to have a look at Elephants, well then its worth going to the Elephant Sanctuary. Its sort of on the way to Taman Negara from Kuala Lumpur, so it is an easy detour either to or from Taman Negara.

London, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mutiara Taman Negara

Nothing in particular - I just generally struggle to organize it;-)

How much time should I reserve for Elephant Sanctuary, do you think?

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,897 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mutiara Taman Negara

Aim to get there before 1:30 pm for the video show, then watch the elephants bathing in the river - if the water level is high enough; then get introduced to them at the open stage and leave by 3:15pm.

Sint-Michielsgestel...
Level Contributor
21 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mutiara Taman Negara

To Jadamros

Good day to you. We (My wife, daughter and me) are planning a trip to Malaysia and would like to visit Taman Negara, Cameron Highlands, Penang and Malacca+KL.

Organising the trip to TN, CH and from there to Penang gives us some trouble. We would like to rent a car in KL and drive ourself to TN.CH and Penang. Can we drive all the way to TN National Park (Kuala Tahan)? Or do we have to stop at Jerantut and take the boat from there? We would welcome a boat ride, but first going up for three hours and two days later back again for three hours is a little bit too much I think. Can we make a smaller boat trip from Kuala Tahan? What is the best surrounding to stay in Cameron High? I found the route you suggested earlier to get to Tanah Rata, but is that the best place to stay? Thanks in advance!

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,897 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mutiara Taman Negara

1- Yes, you can drive all the way to Kuala Tahan. No need to take the boat from Kuala Tembeling (near Jerantut) up river for 3 hours to Kuala Tahan.

2- Yes, whilst in Taman Negara you can do boat trips from Kuala Tahan to points further upstream.

3- With a car, you do not need to stay in Tanah Rata town itself whilst in Cameron Highlands. Personally I prefer the area between Tanah Rata and Brinchang. If you got $$$$, go for YTL's Cameron Highlands Resort.

Sint-Michielsgestel...
Level Contributor
21 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mutiara Taman Negara

Thanks for the quick response. Your answers are fine for me.

We tried to book the CH Resort, but unfortunately it is fully booked, so we reserved a room at Strawberry Park Resort. Hope it is any good, we just followed the advice here on Tripadvisor.

Keeping in mind that we have a car, were would you stay near Taman Negara?

Also any advice on Penang hotel?

Regards

Bernard

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,897 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mutiara Taman Negara

Make sure you fill up a full tank of petrol at Jerantut, as you may find it difficult to find a petrol pump beyond there.

As mentioned before, only the Mutiara Taman Negara is actually within the National Park, so if given a choice I would stay there. You will have to park and leave your car somewhere in Kuala Tahan though and take the boat across the river to the Mutiara. The boat crossing is the only way into the park.

For Penang, post in the Penang forums as there are regulars there who can advise you on accommodation. There are a lot of options depending on what you want.

Get answers to your questions about Taman Negara National...