We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marsh Harbor for our 1st. trip - advice

richmond
Level Contributor
183 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Marsh Harbor for our 1st. trip - advice

1st. trip to Out Islands. Thought MH might be a good location to start. Want to rent a small boat ( just the 2 of us) but wonder if we can navigate to other cays. Where can we keep our little treasure of a boat? IS there such a thing as docking it near a hotel or restaurant?

Apologize if these questions sound "stupid". but just trying to get a feel for Abacos.

Lodging suggestions?

Any help sure would be appreciated.

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
377 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marsh Harbor for our 1st. trip - advice

You might want to base yourself on one of the cays -- I usually suggest Elbow Cay for first-timers -- rather than Marsh Harbour. Once you've booked your trip, you should secure your rental boat ASAP, since they are hot commodities. Staying on the cays, a great many rental homes and resorts/inns have dedicated dockage for rental boats, since that is a very popular and common way for people to get around -- if the description of the property doesn't specifically say it, just ask. Most waterfront restaurants, and even shops, also have dockage. If you have basic boating skills, you'll definitely be able to island hop, conditions permitting and in daylight only. It's one of the chief pleasures of the Abacos.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
29 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marsh Harbor for our 1st. trip - advice

If you're getting a boat, you might pick up Dodge's Cruising Guide to Abacos 2012. We're heading down in May and although we aren't getting a boat, I picked this guide up off the internet and it has some usefull info, especially about getting between the cays in small boat. The guide is available through WSPress .com. Some decent info for non-boaters too.

toronto
Level Contributor
50 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marsh Harbor for our 1st. trip - advice

Any advice on flights from Florida to Marsh Harbour? Hubby & I are flying from Toronto...I understand a "small" plane will take us directly. Anyone have any experiences about the flight (ie: how long? was it a smooth flight? which airline did you use? etc).

Thanks in advance!

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marsh Harbor for our 1st. trip - advice

We flew AirGate out of New Smyrna Beach in June. It was great! We even had some pretty bad thunderstorms in the area and AirGate found us a window where we could safely take off. The ride was so smooth, plane was newer and very comfortable. It was us and another couple and 1 pilot. You feel like you're in your own private plane. The only problem was getting to their airfield. We had to take a cab from Daytona Bch airport to Jack Bolt field, around $40 plus tip, 20minutes or so..

There are other options and airlines from Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. Look at Sky Bahamas. Others can chime in on the other flight options.

Baltimore, MD
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marsh Harbor for our 1st. trip - advice

You have to check out abacoforum .com Many more people will respond to your questions.

Flights first, what's the cheapest flight you can get to Florida? Then you can find the small charter operator to take you to Marsh Harbor. They seem to change frequently but IMO it is much better than flying into Nassau and then on to MHH because there are fewer delays with customs and the actual flights. I'll be flying Bahamas Express from FLL to MHH in a week.

I would also suggest getting the Dodge guide, it will really help you plan your adventures. Two years ago we picked up our boat in Marsh Harbor and went to our rental home on Elbow Cay for a week. Every morning my husband fished and every afternoon we snorkled and explored a new beach bars. Evenings we ate what he caught or went to a restaurant in our golf cart. Vacation was great but this time we will be exploring the islands and staying on a catamaran!

Edited: 06 July 2012, 20:56
toronto
Level Contributor
50 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marsh Harbor for our 1st. trip - advice

Jungledriver & 0106.... thanks for the info...much appreciated I can't wait!

Lymm, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marsh Harbor for our 1st. trip - advice

can you recommend a pretty island with gorgeous beaches and a small town with nice restaurants wthin easy reach?

Also must be able to fly to from FLL or Miami. We have been to Harbour Island and really liked that but would like to try another island.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marsh Harbor for our 1st. trip - advice

Noni-

Why don't you look at flying into MHH from MIA like the poster and ferry over to Hopetown on Elbow Cay? Look at www,.abacoforum.com for lots of info and photos or www.abacoindex.com for more information on Hopetown as well as other cays in the Abaco chain.

Or you can fly from MIA to GGT (Great Exuma) for gorgeous beaches and the small town of Georgetown.

Baltimore, MD
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marsh Harbor for our 1st. trip - advice

I recommend flying to Marsh Harbor and renting a boat (or taking the ferry) to Elbow Cay. Here is a link to my trip report. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147424-i900-k3752…

Kinsale, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marsh Harbor for our 1st. trip - advice

We haven't been to Marsh Harbor in almost ten years, but loved it then. It's been fun to read reviews of restaurants we enjoyed. We have been trying to remember the name of a castle-like restaurant that advertised itself as being the castle high above Marsh Harbor. It actually was on the only noticable elevation in MH, so the views were a pleasure. We had some lovely lunches there does anybody know the name?

DianaandTom

Get answers to your questions about Marsh Harbour
More Marsh Harbour Topics