We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advise on renting a house

louisville, ky
Level Contributor
31 posts
173 reviews
Save Topic
advise on renting a house

I am in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Abaco Islands in October. With the research I've done on tripadvisor, it seems like the best option is to stay around Marsh Harbour because it is close to the airport and seems to have nearby restaurants and groceries. I want to have some seclusion though. The house I'm thinking of renting is "On the Rocks” Eastern Shores, Marsh Harbour, Abaco.

Please advise on the following:

Is Marsh Harbour the best location or are there other areas I should consider?

Thoughts on the location of the house I'm considering, is it within walking distance to town?

Is renting a golf cart an option for this area? Any ideas on around how much it will cost?

Any suggestions on flying in from Ft. Lauderdale?

Any advise you can give me is deeply appreciated. Thanks so much!

North Fort Myers...
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advise on renting a house

That's a very nice area if you want to stay on the main island (Great Abaco). You can walk from there to the ferry to go to Elbow Cay and Man O War Cay for day trips. If you enjoy walking (it's probably a little over a mile) you can walk to restaurants for lunch. I wouldn't walk to or from any restaurants after dark. The same for a grocery store or liquor store. Golf carts are not an option, but there are plenty of taxis. If you want to explore, or don't like to walk, then rent a car for at least part of the time. Driving is on the left, but it's not very far to all of the stores and restaurants, and if you want to check out places like Little Harbour or Treasure Cay, the roads are long and straight, so they aren't very challenging (at least during the day - they're mostly unlit at night).

Flying to Marsh Harbour can be done from FLL, PBI or Miami so it's just a matter of how easy it is to get to those airports and how your continuing flight lines up. Customs and immigration will be in Marsh Harbour so you don't need to factor that in on the US side.

Other than Marsh Harbour, you might take a look at a rental home on Elbow Cay. On the upside, there are plenty of restaurants and nicer beaches, and you can use a golf cart or restaurant provided transportation. On the downside, a similar house is likely to cost more, and the logistics of getting there are more complicated since you need to take the ferry to get there.

louisville, ky
Level Contributor
31 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advise on renting a house

Thanks for your helpful response.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advise on renting a house

Leah,

If you have not already looked at these sites they would be very helpful in your research:

www.abacoindex.com

www.abacoforum.com

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advise on renting a house

oops- meant to also answer the airline question- you might look at Silver Airlines and United. I am sure there are probably others but that is what comes to mind. We fly American from Miami since we get there more easily.

louisville, ky
Level Contributor
31 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advise on renting a house

Thanks so much!

Prairie Farm...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: advise on renting a house

We just spent a week in Treasure Cay. It's about 25 min from MHH. We flew into MHH via sky bahamas. They have daily flights from FLL to Mhh. We rented a car which we did all prior to getting there. It was very easy getting around but people use cars in MHH. We stayed at the Bahamas Beach Club and it was beautiful. Very peaceful. I can not say enough about our trip. abaco escape is a great resouce as well.

louisville, ky
Level Contributor
31 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advise on renting a house

Thanks so much for your helpful advice.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
438 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advise on renting a house

How many people?

louisville, ky
Level Contributor
31 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: advise on renting a house

There's 2 of us.

Abaco, Bahamas
Level Contributor
12 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: advise on renting a house

Hi Leah I'm 9th generation from here and Marsh Harbour area and near is my specialty area. Silver airlines have been having some great specials recently and the best news!! our new airport is about to open advertised date April... not sure date exactly but I am hoping with that opening you will see some new flight and flight reductions. I have a variety of homes that I manage with boat docks beaches etc from $800 to $5,000 also areas outside of Marsh Harbour so happy to help however I can.

I agree with SWFLAOK though areas near Marsh Harbour are great as it's easy jump off especially for persons with lots of travel already and if you plan to use ferries ... not as many inter island options you have to come back to Marsh Harbour.

I live here so even if you find an option online you'd like me to check out for you to ensure it's whats advertised happy to do it... as we can only make a first impression once and want you to have a great time here on your vacation where ever that may take you.

Hope to see you on our islands soon where you can ... relax... explore... and discover... the islands of Abaco in The Bahamas.

Get answers to your questions about Marsh Harbour
Recent Conversations
More Marsh Harbour Topics