We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jelly Fish

Which Kassiopi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
walsall
Level Contributor
130 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Jelly Fish

We have had fantastic holidays in Mainland Greece and Greek Islands (19 different locations to date) But we have never been to Corfu. We are thinking of booking next year for Kassiopi but a member of our party (there are 3 couples) went to Corfu about 10 years ago, at a different resort, and she remembers lots of jelly fish, not just in the sea but on the beach as well, and she saw many people stung. This obviously has put her off Corfu, and I wondered if this must have been a "one off" and she was just very unlucky. She unfortunatly cannot remember the resort but she remembers that it was not far from Corfu town. If I can get lots of positive feedback, about the sea and beach, Im sure she will change her mind, and we can start researching the resort in view to book a holiday. By the way our favourite places have been Thassos, Skiathos and Parga Look forward to some positive replies.

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
381 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jelly Fish

Hi, we have been to different resorts in Corfu 5 times and never seen a Jellyfish. Corfu is a beautiful island, hope your friend agrees to go. X

Kassiopi, Greece
Level Contributor
394 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jelly Fish

of course it was an one time thing...

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,563 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jelly Fish

One time thing.

It can happen on any island or the mainland.

Being put off an island for an one time inceident that same day probably hapenned in several islands or mainland coasts in two or three countries does not make sense.

Jelly fishes do appear but it is extremely rare. It lasts for a couple of days every 10 - 20 years and it can happen anywhere in an area covering.9 - 10 Mediteraanean countries.

So we are talking about 1 - 2 days out of 4,000 - 8,000 days, less than 0.025% of the days. Being put off a gorgeous island because of a practically one - off occurence has no logical basis.

cheltenham
Level Contributor
267 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jelly Fish

We're going to Kassiopi for 4th time this year, but will be our8th visit to corfu as an island, and we've never seen a jelly fish! Seen more jelly fish on the beach in Whitby (which incidentally was only 1 jellyfish!)

Roda, Greece
Destination Expert
for Corfu, Roda
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jelly Fish

I have probably spent half of my time here over the last 12 years. I saw a few dead jellyfish washed up after unusual weather. This was a one-time sighting and I've seen nothing before or since.

Steve

stockport
Level Contributor
20 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jelly Fish

been to kassiopi about 30 times and can never remember seeing any so no probs

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
765 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jelly Fish

We saw a jellyfish for the first time ever last year. It was such a rare occurrence that the taverna waiters came out to see it because they didn't believe we had seen one off the jetty!

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jelly Fish

I have holidayed in Kassiopi for almost 20 years and have never seen a jelly fish, either around Kassiopi waters or anywhere else on boat trips. I would think this was a one off.

Level Contributor
48 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jelly Fish

Its not the jellyfish you have to worry about its the 6ft snakes!! Didnt see any jellyfish and we were snorkeling most days but we did see a live snake a big one when we out walking and few dead ones but don't let that put you off as Kassiopi absolutely gorgeous

Edited: 07 July 2014, 20:51
Level Contributor
48 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jelly Fish

Its not the jellyfish you have to worry about its the 6ft snakes!! Didnt see any jellyfish and we were snorkeling most days but we did see a live snake a nig one ehrn we out walking and few dead ones but don't let that put you off as Kassiopi absolutely gorgeous

Get answers to your questions about Kassiopi