We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mozzies ?

birmingham
Level Contributor
766 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Mozzies ?

I've read a lot on here about the problems with mozzies , are they more prevalent in Corfu than the rest of Greece? This is my first time to Sidari, have been to Rhodes and Kefalonia and didn't have any problems, and generally don't get bitten but just wondered if the problem was worse in Corfu because of the vegetation on the island?

We are going on 4th September I'm so looking forward it, especially after all the info I have gained from this forum, which I have to say is the friendliest forum I've ever been on.

Kate

Aberdeenshire
Level Contributor
206 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mozzies ?

I'm a mozzie magnet Kate! l've been here 8 nights so far & have 5 bites. l've been using Avon skin so soft dry oil every night. Not sure if that's helping but l've had more bites than this in Rhodes, Turkey and Tunisia. Hope this is some indication. All in all, it's not been as bad (so far) as l anticipated.

Cathie.

Bolton
Destination Expert
for Sidari
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mozzies ?

Hi Cliftonkate - mozzies are more prevalent on the island due to it's climate, known for being the rainiest of the islands and due to the position etc makes it a haven for those little blighters.

September they will still be out in force - tips use the air con especially if it's still very warm in the evenings, spray your room at dusk and close all windows doors etc. Go armed with as much protection or the protection that suits you best, all kinds of remedies to keep the pesky little things at bay so my advice is be prepared.

We were over in June and they didn't seem too bad to be honest I have known far worse years to tell you the truth x

Hope this helps and enjoy your visit to Corfu - it is an enchanting island and I am sure you will fall in love with the place x remember get out and about and visit local places and places off the beaten track to enhance your experience of visiting the island for the first time x

But most of all have fun and enjoy x

Any other questions just ask away xx

Michelle x

leeds uk
Level Contributor
151 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mozzies ?

Just come back from sidari Corfu with mozzie bites of course, just read a tip in a magazine it says to rub the area with roll on antiperspirant. Apparently the aluminium salts draw out the fluid, that causes the irritation. Of course don't know if it works but anything that helps is good

Aberdeenshire
Level Contributor
206 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mozzies ?

Will try that Christine as l spoke too soon (^^^) & got another 3 bites in really annoying places last night! Massive fail for SSS! Grrr!

Cathie.x

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mozzies ?

skin so soft didn't work last year but did year before anything with deet this year will be there on Monday woohoo.

birmingham
Level Contributor
766 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mozzies ?

Will definitely go 'armed' then - I have some insect repellent wipes and Avon's SSS so hopefully should be ok.

Kate

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mozzies ?

Mozzies appear to feast on me, I'm taking everything I can get my hands on with deet, from plugs ins to spray, Avon SSS and I've resorted to taking garlic capsules hoping it may put them off. Only 16 sleeps :)

Framlingham, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mozzies ?

We just got back from Sidari this morning - only 1 bite each! We used a plug in(bought from amazon), sprayed with deet (poundland) before going out for the evening and were lucky enough to have mosquito nets in our apartment. Not a problem for us at all! I was really paranoid after everything I'd read on here, but I think with proper precautions you should be fine :) Although of course September might be a bit worse..

The mosquito nets were great - I think without them I'd have kept waking up during the night imagining being bitten :P

Roda, Greece
Destination Expert
for Corfu, Roda
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mozzies ?

The general concensus this year is that there have been far fewer mosquitos. There has been a company from mainland Greece contracted to reduce numbers and maybe that is the reason.

Steve

Bolton
Destination Expert
for Sidari
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mozzies ?

Ah thought something was going on Steve, they seemed really down in numbers in May/June - we have been in June previously and they have been absolutely rife - with Hubby getting bitten over 100 times!!!!! ending up with the good old injection as they were that bad. But Hubby also said this year they seemed to be down in numbers.

How are they doing it Steve? is it general spraying with various things to rid them or keep the numbers down??

Get answers to your questions about Sidari